Six things I did to a beaver last night

dinorocks

16 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Dino, Where are you actually located? I'd love to tag along on a check day to observe if you ever have the time. 

Sure!  I’m just east of Buffalo.   Season ends next week so it will need to wait until next year...be sure to reach out to me !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dinorocks said:

The beavers were both between 45 and 50#...one was just over 45 and the other just under 50.  My largest was 65...caught on a nuisance job behind my kids school during a blizzard a few years back.  

I’m always surprised how many fleas beavers have...one would think they didn’t have many spending so much time in the water.  ...but I’ll take fleas over deer ticks any day!!

fleas? really? That is very surprising 

Beaver is best bait for fisher and black bear that I know of .  Dec uses it at camera traps for Fisher, and many books tell of bears tearing beaver houses apart looking for them.  You said it was a favorite meat and the critters seem to agree

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Beaver is best bait for fisher and black bear that I know of .  Dec uses it at camera traps for Fisher, and many books tell of bears tearing beaver houses apart looking for them.  You said it was a favorite meat and the critters seem to agree

<- adds beaver scent to shopping cart for next september's bear hunt haha

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Beaver castor is a great attractant.

And that scent is STILL lodged firmly in my nose’s memory from my Maine Bear hunt years ago. Mixed with stale donuts and maple syrup it a steal treat when that wind blows back in your face during the late summer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cool thread.

Fun Beaver Fact - on a baited Wolf Hunt in Alberta once, the guide dragged a beaver carcass on our walk in and tied it on a tree a few feet off the ground before he left me in my spot. No wolves came in but 2 beautiful lynx came in to it. It was awesome to watch. You couldn’t shoot lynx in Alberta at that time only trap, so I just had to sit and watch. But it was awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4