Time for a winter project!

biggamefish

So I have had this bow for awhile now it's a striker sringer 48@28 and dont have any arrows set up for it. I went rummaging around and found some feathers to make. I am going to start with 5575 32" gold tips and go from there. Should be pretty close to my set up now but every bow is a different animal. I am going try to keep posting pics of the project as I go. 

Hopefully this will be my Turkey bow this year. It's short and will do well in the woods or blind. Plus it puts an arrow down range pretty quickly.

20200205_164400.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Its 58". I draw right around 29.5" so its about 50lbs at my draw. I have shot it a few times and surprisingly there isn't much finger pinch. 

Thought it was shorter.  I have hunted a fair amount with a 58” with issue.  I have a slightly shorter DL.  

28 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

So I have had this bow for awhile now it's a striker sringer 48@28 and dont have any arrows set up for it. I went rummaging around and found some feathers to make. I am going to start with 5575 32" gold tips and go from there. Should be pretty close to my set up now but every bow is a different animal. I am going try to keep posting pics of the project as I go. 

Hopefully this will be my Turkey bow this year. It's short and will do well in the woods or blind. Plus it puts an arrow down range pretty quickly.

20200205_164400.jpg

Cool project Matt! I'll be following along. Maybe I'll even stop in to see for myself? I'll bring something sweet to share with the coffee? Perhaps you may even allow me to try shooting one of your trad bows? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thought it was shorter.  I have hunted a fair amount with a 58” with issue.  I have a slightly shorter DL.  

Its probably the shortest since I started shooting trad 20 years ago. I started with Ben Person Mace. I still have that bow. Bought it at a garage sale fo 30 bucks took a bunch of deer with it too. 

2 hours ago, biggamefish said:

Its probably the shortest since I started shooting trad 20 years ago. I started with Ben Person Mace. I still have that bow. Bought it at a garage sale fo 30 bucks took a bunch of deer with it too. 

I killed my second with a kodiak mag.  52”.  Didn’t take long for me to realize the benefit of a longer bow.   I now stick to 58-62 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grampy said:

Cool project Matt! I'll be following along. Maybe I'll even stop in to see for myself? I'll bring something sweet to share with the coffee? Perhaps you may even allow me to try shooting one of your trad bows? 

You are more than welcome to stop by for coffee anytime. I have a bunch of bows you can try out too. I warn you though it is very addictive shooting trad bows!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE.

Finally got around to shooting this little bow. I like to shoot with 2 fletched feathers and 2 bare shafts to tune . Basically you want to get the bare shafts shooting in the same group as the fletched feathers. I only spent about 20 minutes shooting and my bare shafts are shooting low compared to the fletched ones. I started by moving the knocking point around. I started at 1in. then moved it higher but i think I was getting a false reading. I then brought it down to 3/4 but I ran out of time to get a good answer. Hopefully I can put some more time into it tonight and take pictures as I go along.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Got some more time ended today with a knocking point at 1/2. Arrows are closer. My fletched arrows are hitting where I want. But want a better result. Last round was the picture and that was pretty consistent.

20200310_175547.jpg

Unless you were shooting at an angle those arrows look stiff, no?

Moog 

I thought the right shift was too weak. I have also been told when you are starting out in tuning don't dwell on the position of the arrow in the target but pay attention to where it is hitting. The fine tuning comes later.

Low right as I have been seeing should be a lighter head and lower knock point. Now i could be wrong in my thought it has been awhile since I read up on tuning arrows. It seems like tuning is right goes left and down is up sometimes!!!!  Lol

9 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Moog 

I thought the right shift was too weak. I have also been told when you are starting out in tuning don't dwell on the position of the arrow in the target but pay attention to where it is hitting. The fine tuning comes later.

Low right as I have been seeing should be a lighter head and lower knock point. Now i could be wrong in my thought it has been awhile since I read up on tuning arrows. It seems like tuning is right goes left and down is up sometimes!!!!  Lol

Ah yes, the black magic of tuning.  Most will say to check poi before arrow orientation as you indicate.    How far were you shooting?  I find it pretty easy to assess spine at 20yds plus with trad bows and bareshafts.  Often I just start with bareshafts until I see them flying straight and true at 20yds and then add some fletched to confirm POI is the same.   It usually is at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

So you know what they say about the best laid plans!!  Sometimes they get better!! My winter project has now turned into a get my other bow out and just practice practice practice!! I need my takedown for the fall hunting trip! What trip am I talking about?? Well my wife was nice enough to get me an elk tag in Montana for my birthday!! So now I am on "get into shape mode and shooting out to at least 30 yard comfortably". Should be a good trip as long as the world isn't still in lockdown! I might ride my bicycle out there if I have to!  LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The time is getting near now. All the things I need are coming together. My shooting is good to 25 yards and alright at 30. Now I just have to get my hunting arrows done. Put the wraps on then the fletching last night. Go easy on me with my work space i am just getting into the heavy reading!!  Lol  Here are some more progress pics.

20200731_180319.jpg

20200731_180339.jpg

20200731_180457.jpg

• Like 1