Soy, Corn, PTT Seed questions

Hey Guys,

Picking up a new farm soon and Im planning out my food plots for this spring. Id like to see where some of you order your seed from that you would recommend for upstate NY. (Chemung County)

Looking for: Corn - Soybean - PTT

I have some great tillable on this ground and Im looking for something cost effective and that others have had great results with, assuming proper soil test, fert/lime weed control were done correctly.   

Also, what type of soybean would you recommend? and would it last through the fall if deer dont totally mow it down and does that variety produce a bean pod?  

Thanks for the advise!

10 hours ago, Geno C said:

Hey Guys,

Picking up a new farm soon and Im planning out my food plots for this spring. Id like to see where some of you order your seed from that you would recommend for upstate NY. (Chemung County)

Looking for: Corn - Soybean - PTT

I have some great tillable on this ground and Im looking for something cost effective and that others have had great results with, assuming proper soil test, fert/lime weed control were done correctly.   

Also, what type of soybean would you recommend? and would it last through the fall if deer dont totally mow it down and does that variety produce a bean pod?  

Thanks for the advise!

You'll want a long season indeterminate soybean variety. This will continue to produce later into the season vs maturing after seed fill. I'm not an expert on forage beans, though I know there are companies that produce them. I used to sell seed beans back in Illinois, mostly Asgrow, HiSoy and some LG. However, most everything for agricultural production are determinate varieties because you want them to mature and dry down in the field. 

On 2/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Soybeans through QDMA seed program at $11 a bag. Hard to beat that price. Just need to be a member and those attending banquets get first dibs. Twin Tier Branch in Corning area  is probably the closest to you Geno. 

I plan on making that banquet! My buddy told me about that QDMA deal also. Im going to do it. Id like to find a recommended Corn blend that will be good for deer though the winter.. I think im going to do deer radish and winter bulbs and sugar beets.

I have everything laid out on paper.. roughly 6 acres worth of food plots for spring - summer - fall

2 hours ago, Geno C said:

I plan on making that banquet! My buddy told me about that QDMA deal also. Im going to do it. Id like to find a recommended Corn blend that will be good for deer though the winter.. I think im going to do deer radish and winter bulbs and sugar beets.

I have everything laid out on paper.. roughly 6 acres worth of food plots for spring - summer - fall

Check with the NWTF branch near you. They typically have good member seals on round up ready corn, that is why we have stayed away from the corn. 

• Like 1

I got soybeans through Culvercreek/QDMA last year. Grew great and Drew deer until they turned brown. After they frosted and dropped beans, they drew turkeys. I also joined NWTF, they have corn available. PTT I plant whitetail institute mixed with daikon radishes (Hancock Seed). Also have clover. Our plan is to feed the deer year round to keep them around and healthy. 

Corn is the only spring crop that I put in for deer.  I think you can get up to two bags of RR corn thru NWTF if you join, at $ 50 per bag (compared to aprox $250 per bag retail price).  I have always used free, leftover seed that I picked up from farmer family and friends.   It keeps very well if stored properly (I have not noticed any drop in germination when stored up to 5 years on a shelf in my basement).   I have also never paid for soybeans, but they don't store nearly as well due to their high oil content.   I only planted them once in the spring and that was enough to teach me to not try that again.   The main problem for me was they drew in lots of coyotes.   I would much prefer the deer to be somewhere else during fawning season (whitetail fawns may be the coyotes #1 preferred food source in NY state).   Soybeans are most attractive to deer during their early growing stage.   Even the coyotes eat the plants at that stage (probably because they are so high in protein).  Until NY state opens up a year round coyote season, I will not plant soybeans again in the spring. 

It is always easy for me to find free soybeans at the end of planting season (June).   I use them the same year, mixed with white clover, and winter wheat, which I plant starting around September 1st.    Those sprouting soybeans draw deer to those plots like candy, and "climate-change" has resulted in late frosts, which keep them drawing deer to the plots into October (when you can kill them).   They don't survive the first hard frost, but usually they have completed their mission by that time anyhow.         

Corn is the only plot that holds deer on my ground after gun-season begins.  Obviously, that is because it provides cover in addition to exactly the type of food they seek at that time (carbs).   Last year was the first in the past 25 seasons that I did not plant corn and I did not even see a deer on my land after the first shot was fired on opening day.  It was way too wet in the spring for me to get any in.   Fortunately, the soybean/wheat/clover plots kicked some but, and the best 8-point that I have ever taken fell dead to my crossbow bolt (with a bellyfull of that stuff) 2 weeks before gun season opened.    He was also the only deer I have ever killed in WMU 9F, that did not have any corn in his stomach.  

Here is how I found him, just off the edge of one of those plots:

1941223022_8pointcb2109asfound.jpg.d6d993fada1652e288acca6e0df5f333.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Guys adjacent to where I hunt typically put in a ~1.5ac corn plot in mid to late June. Usually ready & hit hard by deer about Nov 1st (+/-) & beyond. Issue with planting that late is we don't always get rain enough to germinate seeds like in the spring. They always brush hogged it down just before SZ regular season. Assuming mainly for visibility &/or shooting reasons. Deer & turkeys were hitting it into the winter until snow cover got too deep. No clue as to brand/type of corn, just a planting idea...

• 3 months later...

I plant 3 to 5 acres of beans along w 2 acres of corn in my 11 acres of field. Then in late July I plant 2 acres in different spots radishes and winter bulbs and sugar beets.  I have a small 2017 JD 3025 w a 60 inch tiller.  I hand plant everything it’s a rewarding workout for sure.  I use a Scott’s push spreader for the beans and red solo cup for for the corn.  I do it chunks at a time as weather permits as I try and time all of my field planting prior to expected rain as I don’t drag the corn or beans or tuber small seeds.  A good rain has worked for me plus I don’t want to spend money on a planter I use once a year and because field is small and custom plant my local neighbor farm folks aren’t interested.  I will be honest and tell you I haven’t fertilized but do spray it w round up about 4 weeks after planting.  Then watch as the wildlife hammers it all summer and post harvest and throughout winter.   I have noticed a big improvement in both the amount and size of the deer both body and antler size   In my opinion they prefer the beans the most if you have standing beans come Dec you will draw deer from a long ways off but to have them standing you have to grow a lot or fence them off.  I am thinking about fertilizers for the corn this year.   I bought all of my seed today. I hope to have corn planted by Memorial Day and beans into June.  If you want to have some fun save a 1/2 a bag of beans and plant them in early August.  They won’t produce beans but you will have tender lush green bean leaves they love in until heavy frost wipes out shooters like these mini lush plots and will often bed near by pre rut.  Also I didn’t do any soil tests I have very good loam soil mix of sand and clay.  I try not to overthink it and let nature do its thing I just am trying and seeing what works as I go  so far so good. Here is seed I got and some pics of field   I plant the beans down the middle to draw them out into the middle for gun and put 1 acre bean plots off the middle to the edges w ground blinds and get 10 and 15 yds from a dozen deer feeding and that’s when the fun really starts.  Good luck and please keep us posted 

ps if you are just getting started and the seed expense is a bit too much just now scendaro shooting lane and let lush grasses clover and forbs grow but mow periodically to keep lush see last pic 

F65F909D-3891-4976-B7C6-B3BF6C86BEF2.jpeg

2B97BDAD-9A66-4C28-B9A6-1D3CCA983631.jpeg

9C82F226-5DCD-4595-A17F-8B4BA5BE8B72.jpeg

F999CF1A-ABC0-42B2-A573-65DE8C0BD243.jpeg

4CA0B976-A598-4CF6-9A28-A33FA2939153.jpeg

BC2414C0-C27B-46A4-8555-F5D1D285C029.jpeg

46426C6B-9768-43F3-8DCB-E2100F84769D.jpeg

039EAFFA-AE68-4833-A638-2EE42F50079B.jpeg

DC5F1B82-3A99-4D6D-94AC-E57586B46F35.jpeg

• Like 1