blackbeltbill

What Do You Do If You Encounter A Black Bear??

Around the year of 2000 or so, I was Hiking on the Allis Trail in Sterling Forest State Park off of RT. 17A and a good Mile in, I came across a Huge Black Bear resting and warming itself on a Flat Rock directly on the Allis Trail.We saw each other at 50 Yards. I turned very slowly around and broke Eye contact-- again very Slowly and walked Slowly away. I ALWAYS take a can of Deep Woods Off with me on the Trail and Proceeded to spray myself down " again" and Spray the Air above my Head. The Black Bear stayed  put right where he was as, I left.

Usually I only see the south bound end as they are running away .  From a tree stand I watch them to see what they do . On the ground I'm reaching for the glock .

If I'm just out and about and not hunting and it's a lone bear, I usually stand up tall and say loudly "hey yogi". Then they run.

Works every time. 

For a bear with cubs, I just back off the way I came. Luckily I haven't any turn aggressive.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Davy Crockett the king of the wild frontier met them head on with tomahawk and knife.;)

Al

2020-02-06_111144.png

2020-02-06_111301.png

7cb2b3e2dd37afd201323ad142aa1a3d--davy-crockett-graphics-vintage.jpg

• Like 4

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

28 minutes ago, left field said:

Bill, that's almost a haiku.

Sterling flat rock bear...

Spray OFF to sky's eye then turn...

Turkey tomorrow!

I am a big bear

Silly human thinks 'off' will save him

I eat well tonight

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I am a big bear

Silly human thinks 'off' will save him

I eat well tonight

Ol Dins-- you have been a bit Grumpy lately. Must be back from Africa and bored..

Personally, I have had a good 20 or so Black Bear Sightings up close and personal on the Trail as well as Hunting. Everyone of them has Sprinted away from me except this one Bear. Never a Problem.

24 minutes ago, airedale said:

Davy Crockett the king of the wild frontier met them head on with tomahawk and knife.;)

Al

2020-02-06_111144.png

2020-02-06_111301.png

7cb2b3e2dd37afd201323ad142aa1a3d--davy-crockett-graphics-vintage.jpg

Very nice. I remember reading a book or magazine article years ago, written in Davy Crockett's words. He & his dogs would kill a bunch of bears for winter as meat, some of the encounters sounded a little "hairy" (drum roll/cymbal crash).

Most black bears are scared of humans. I ran across a sow & cubs once, she ran them up a tree then sat at the bottom of the tree. I took that as a sign to clear out, which I promptly did.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Ol Dins-- you have been a bit Grumpy lately. Must be back from Africa and bored..

Maybe you will find this more jovial; :rofl:

2756629523_9385676635_c.jpgBear Warning! by Christian Lau, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

I see a lot of bear.  I once crested a hill behind my house with Jenn, and a momma, and cubs were ahead of us, facing us, at roughly 200’ maybe.  I always be sure to just being talking, or jingle my keys that I clip to my belt loop.  I’ve never had an issue, the bears always take off running.  Some bears I notice do not even act like they know you are there, even in plain view as if they are in the yard with you, those I have to say HEY to, then they typically run. It is as if some are oblivious of their surroundings, which could be that instance you startle them on a corner, etc i guess.  Just thinking out loud at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I see a lot of bear.  I once crested a hill behind my house with Jenn, and a momma, and cubs were ahead of us, facing us, at roughly 200’ maybe.  I always be sure to just being talking, or jingle my keys that I clip to my belt loop.  I’ve never had an issue, the bears always take off running.  Some bears I notice do not even act like they know you are there, even in plain view as if they are in the yard with you, those I have to say HEY to, then they typically run. It is as if some are oblivious of their surroundings, which could be that instance you startle them on a corner, etc i guess.  Just thinking out loud at this point.

Good post above. I Hike year round for many Decades now. Never a Problem with the Black Bears and, I go Alone most of the time. They take off fast. 

• Like 1

We have a good bear population here where I hunt in 4H. See them often enough. Depending on the time of year. Never had an issue with them. Even had a huge boar stick his head in the ground blind I was bow hunting from, a few years ago. That did raise my heartbeat quite a bit, I must admit. As our noses were no more than a foot apart!

Kinda looked like this!!

20190922_112035.thumb.jpg.9a03bfde09c6f39ee20043bc95962339.jpg

• Like 2

Over the period of my 60 years of hunting I have encountered a number of Black Bears ranging from 250 lbs. to 600 lbs. , after yelling at them they all ran the other way and at one time one had it's cubs wit her. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I've never encountered one on my property , I have a trail cam of one next to my ladder stand and found droppings but no encounters so far !

Answer to No One !

I have 1 trail cam pic of a bear, but I have never seen one hunting or hiking. I would like too sometime.....

Usually bear runs away immediately,  only one did I walk between a slow and Cuba while picking berries. She was shaking a 12 in diameter trees and I simply backed out way I came in slowly..

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

when i was like 12 i was walking my dog up at camp in Lewis county and heard noise in the woods and huffing.  Pretty sure it was a bear , me and the dog hightailed it.