Accidental Crossbow Death

monahmat

My mother forwarded me this today.  Not far from my old stomping grounds.  "Massachusetts man armed with a crossbow accidentally killed his neighbor Wednesday while trying to save him from a dog attack"

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/massachusetts-man-with-crossbow-kills-neighbor-while-trying-save-him-dog-attack-police-say/DMZ4FH4FGJFXVDPZYAKRE67RWU/

• Sad 1

Yikes !

It’s something I’ve given thought to as there’s a number of large dogs around us ,and most owners have zero control over them . I broke my walking stick over an attacking pit once ( he attacked my dog ) that backed him up a bit then I drew my .38 snub, which suddenly caused his owner to call him back .

My thought is with my handgun would be first round to hind quarters at an angle away from victim if at all possible  . A bat in easy reach in garage .

But turns out this was a bit different.

more info, bolt through dog, through a door and into man behind the door !

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/us/crossbow-pitbull-attack-trnd/index.html

Edited by Nomad

57 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Yikes !

It’s something I’ve given thought to as there’s a number of large dogs around us ,and most owners have zero control over them . I broke my walking stick over an attacking pit once ( he attacked my dog ) that backed him up a bit then I drew my .38 snub, which suddenly caused his owner to call him back .

My thought is with my handgun would be first round to hind quarters at an angle away from victim if at all possible  . A bat in easy reach in garage .

But turns out this was a bit different.

more info, bolt through dog, through a door and into man behind the door !

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/us/crossbow-pitbull-attack-trnd/index.html

I was shooting my bow in my friends yard and his neighbor had a pit. It came for my golden retriever I had to pick my dog up and put him on top of a gazebo all the while the moron neighbor is yelling at me how nice he is and not to worry. I finally yelled come get the effing dog or I'm shooting him. My cousin has one and it cant be out of its crate when people come over. Its not vicious but its so wild and so strong it just zips around bowling everyone over and destroying furniture. Wonderful family pet

• Like 2

I'm a dog lover but pitbulls fall into a unique scenario.  They were bread for aggression for a very long time.  They can be great pets with time and effort. Unfortunately there are so many out there for adoption that they are much more attainable for people who probably shouldn't have a dog.  Some animal lovers feel they are better off in the hands of someone unfit than in a kill shelter.  The outcome is a lot of untrained dogs that revert back to their instincts and aggression.  For a while German Shepherds and Rottweilers were in a similar situation but have overcome it.  Just my opinion.

Definitely feel bad for the good samaritan.  That's a heavy burden to bare.

having been a pit bull owner for many years, they are misunderstood. My girl is the best dog I’ve ever had in my life, and I’ve had many. She was a rescue, and I feel so fortunate to have saved  her and made her part of my family. She would rather put her big head on your lap and lick your face than harm another dog or human, she’s great with both, I take her to the dog park often.

its a misconception that they’re aggressive etc. it’s all on how they’re raised, treated. They’ve gotten a bad rap, and it always makes me laugh because you never hear of a dog attack  unless it involved a pit bull, but there are numerous ones that occur on a frequent basis that don’t involve pits, but that doesn’t fit the agenda so it’s not newsworthy !!

Edited by Big Indian
Spelling
  • Like 2

I had a pitbull at the dog park almost kill my old dog when he was puppy.  Grabbed him by the face and started giving him the death shake.  Lucking there was a guy standing close when it happened and was able to stop it.  My dog has nasty gashes all over his muzzle.  But luckily the owner clarified that they were “just playing”.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Big Indian

I second your comments with one adder.  There's no such breed as a Pitbull.  It's a made up title for Bully breeds which encompasses a wide variety of dogs from Bulldogs to Rottweilers. 

I've own many bulldogs and two American Staffordshire Terroirs.  All we the most loyal and gentle animal to walk the earth.  All were raised as puppies and were never aggressive nor were they taught to be.  I would never tolerate any of the behavior listed above.  I've know many a nasty poodle in my day.

• Like 2

I get the best dog,  family pet thing , trouble is I can’t tell that on sight .  

One attacked my dog here on a trail in Webster, last summer my nieces pit ,bit my leg at a party at her house, both suburban family “ pets “  . I view all large/ strong dogs as a possible threat , especially ones that home owners policy’s won’t cover, figure they know something .

• Like 2

I have owned nothing but "pitbulls" for many years. I have number 4 and 5 currently. They are almost 12 now. I have owned all of them from pup to death. They are like children...raise em right, no worries. They are the sweetest most lovable and can't wait to please you kind of dogs. They are a very protective breed and I think some of them get aggressive when they mistakenly perceive something as a threat that really isn't. That said I had this one dog, Cheech (RIP), that would go sleep in the corner in a room full of my friends. You wouldn't know he was there. However, get loud he showed teeth/growled, raise your hand to me, he'd remove it. And yes, sometimes they just don't like certain people/animals. A good owner knows his animal and is proactive to avoid surprises. There have been more than a few occasions where the dog(s) had to be put in a room while certain company was over. 

I second the nasty poodles BTW. When i was young, there was this standard poodle around the block that terrified me. It would try to get out of the yard to get me and chase me on my bike. I avoided that block. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Big Indian said:

having been a pit bull owner for many years, they are misunderstood. My girl is the best dog I’ve ever had in my life, and I’ve had many. She was a rescue, and I feel so fortunate to have saved  her and made her part of my family. She would rather put her big head on your lap and lick your face than harm another dog or human, she’s great with both, I take her to the dog park often.

its a misconception that they’re aggressive etc. it’s all on how they’re raised, treated. They’ve gotten a bad rap, and it always makes me laugh because you never hear of a dog attack  unless it involved a pit bull, but there are numerous ones that occur on a frequent basis that don’t involve pits, but that doesn’t fit the agenda so it’s not newsworthy !!

13 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Big Indian

I second your comments with one adder.  There's no such breed as a Pitbull.  It's a made up title for Bully breeds which encompasses a wide variety of dogs from Bulldogs to Rottweilers. 

I've own many bulldogs and two American Staffordshire Terroirs.  All we the most loyal and gentle animal to walk the earth.  All were raised as puppies and were never aggressive nor were they taught to be.  I would never tolerate any of the behavior listed above.  I've know many a nasty poodle in my day.

aunt and uncle had a dobermin named Zesus and she was as placid as could be unless you were a snake. she never barked but would walk up to investigate a stranger pulling in the driveway. kids could wrestle with her and she just would lay there unphased. people were scared shitless at first sight though.

we dog sat for a couple we are friends with. their dogs were two full grown pitbulls named Gotti and Capone. when they played it would make anyone nervous just from their power and sounds they made. most obedient dogs ever though. they knew rules. certain rooms in the house they were not allowed in and thresholds on the floor you would've thought were invisible dog fences. i'm not a dog owner but some individual dogs and breeds seem to be higher strung than others and owners raising them or being active with them have a lot to factor in too it seems like. owners of these dogs in the post were lacking.

Enough with the pit-bulls are misunderstood...........   Tell that to my neighbors kid that was almost killed by one and had over 200 stiches and staples on his face and the thousands and thousands countless other kids....  Can a poodle do that ????   The answer is a resounding noooooooo... How many people have labs killed? Idiots..........

2 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Enough with the pit-bulls are misunderstood...........   Tell that to my neighbors kid that was almost killed by one and had over 200 stiches and staples on his face and the thousands and thousands countless other kids....  Can a poodle do that ????   The answer is a resounding noooooooo... How many people have labs killed? Idiots..........

a poodle can def do that also. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

a poodle can def do that also. 

I'm sure a lot of large dogs can do that. My 60 pound black lab has an impressively strong jaw that I have witnessed tearing up damn near every dog toy that was suppose to be indestructible. Like a typical lab though when it comes to humans and other animals shes as sweet as can be. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

That second news article that was posted makes this even worse. The bolt went through a door and into the deceased which means the guy that pulled the trigger probably had no idea the other man was just on the other side of the door. 

The report I listened too said the guy took refuge behind a door and the crossbow bolt went through one dogs neck and then through the door.

Also that the 2 dogs had issues before with aggression prior to this incident.

I have a rescue pit.

I blame the owners.

Yeah, I also read the person that originally was being attacked by the dog had locked him/her-self in a room/apartment. At least in my feeble mind that'd mean it was time to call the cops or Animal Control. Dude that took it upon himself to be hero didn't give the situation much thought before rushing in.

Pitt bulls can be good family dogs, but they can also be easily derailed into an aggressive dog if the owner is not willing to deal correctly with the breed. The bad ones get more publicity than all the good Pitts. Same goes for some of the other breeds the insurance companies with-hold policies due to bad owners &/or training. IE; Shepherds, Huskies, Rotties, etc. I'd be willing to bet there are more dog attacks by the smaller ankle-biters than larger dogs, just the reports mainly go unreported and are obviously less severe.