Dumpster Size for home remodel

Team Hoyt

In 2 weeks I will be starting my house remodel. It will be a kitchen, dining room, bathroom and 3 bedrooms. Looking at getting a roll off dumpster for the lath and plaster, little bit of carpet, subflooring, and 10 windows. I'm doing it myself and have no experience on dumpsters. Thinking of a 30 or 40 yard dumpster. What do you guys suggest. 

5 minutes ago, Stein13 said:

I delivered dumpsters for 6years just remember with a 40 yard the sides are 8 feet tall but definitely at least want a 30 

Think about where you want to put it and you can open the door and end fill it 90% and only throw last stuff over the side.

Most folks can't fill a dumpster and end up with mostly air, knock everything apart that you can.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

...... It will be a kitchen, dining room, bathroom and 3 bedrooms. Looking at getting a roll off dumpster for the lath and plaster, little bit of carpet, subflooring, and 10 windows......

So, you're not throwing away all the upper/lower kitchen cabinets, counter tops, bathroom vanity, sink, toilet, shower and surround. How about interior doors. These are the things that fill-up a dumpster faster than lathe & plaster.

IRC, your town may require an asbestos inspection done before remodeling older homes &/or placing discarded old bldg items in a dumpster. Couple across the street from me went thru this. Vintage siding, old plaster, tiles, glues used for paneling & tub surrounds all had some asbestos in them. This is costly and basically removes you from the destruction phase of your remodel.

In the process of a HUGE remodel right now......t-mius days before they cut through from the addition into my home.
So far they have filled a huge dual axle dump with scrap from siding and cuttoffs from the framing of a porch and 300 sq. Foot addition.
I have been told the big dumpster is coming this week and will be parked for a month or so. With all the material being torn out I am assuming a 40 yard is coming.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Think about where you want to put it and you can open the door and end fill it 90% and only throw last stuff over the side.

I had a dumpster parked near a window so I could toss all the lathe & plaster out the window and into the lugger. Took a little creative driving on the part of the drop-off driver, but ended up being a huge time & energy saver.

• Like 2

If you're in an area that allows it, get a burn barrel and burn all the wood.   Also make sure to stack the stuff in dumpster, break cabinets down and stack them

Also scrap all the copper, alum. And other metal...it might end up paying for your dumpster

Edited by mmkay

Often times lack of permits gets you at the back end when you sell . There was a time realtors would check to see you got them and then either squeeze you for cash or make you get them . That also would lead to blown deals, it cost me cash when I sold my Dads house .