NYT: Deer Overpopulation Meets Its Match: Women Who Hunt

left field

Women, in fact, are the fastest growing demographic in hunting; they now account for as much as 15 percent of hunters nationwide, according to a study from the Fish and Wildlife Service. In New York State, as in the rest of the country, the number of first-time adult male hunters declined by over 30 percent over the last 15 years, while the number of women hunting for the first time increased at roughly the same rate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/nyregion/deer-hunting.html

• Like 1

I have yet to run in into all these women hunters.  There may be a few out there that will tag along with their husbands or boyfriends but the numbers aren't high from what I can tell.  A 30% decrease from 1 million male hunters can be a significant number, but a 30% increase from a small population of existing women hunters is not very significant.  We are still at a considerable net loss in total hunters.

• Like 1

With each Hunter Education class we do, there are about 25% to 30% women, that take the course to get their hunting license.

Of these, I think perhaps only half will actually go out and hunt. The other half may only represent an extra tag, for their husbands or boyfriends.

Kinda easy to tell the ones there, that actually want to hunt. From the ones that obviously just want to get through the day, to please their significant other.

That said, my opinion is that women hunters can be just as good as their male counterparts. Sometimes better! And I love seeing them out there! Especially the youngsters. They are every bit as much a part of hunting's future as the boys.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

We should be happy to increase our ranks no matter where it comes from.  I have seen many women hunters in the field.  Very few were hunting alone, but then again, very few women do much of anything alone.  But if you look at the increase in the marketing of hunting apparel and even firearms for women, you will see a huge investment by big corporations catering to women.

• Like 1

deerwt1.jpg.d85dd741b17f871a99a2da943a1d30a6.jpg

I only know a couple.  They are very persistant,  that is for sure.   I had to wait about a half hour past sunset, for them to get back from the woods, on opening day a couple years ago, and help me put my buck on their scale.   These two hunt much harder than most of my male hunting friends and have killed more trophy bucks than most of them.   

Now that I learned the WMU 9F correction multiplier for the PA chest (or heart) girth chart that g-man posted a few years ago, by using the lady's certified scale, I no longer have a need to weigh any more.   The old trusty tape measure is always handy and does not need as frequent of a calibration.     

I do agree alot do get tags just for bfs or husbands.  However saying that my daughter has about 5 or 6 girlfriends that hunt including her(ages 14-17).  I know 3 took deer this year, and 2 shot turkeys.   From what i see its the younger women helping the numbers atleast in my area.   

• Like 3

I know of 3 single women, 2 married, and 5 girls that have all taken up hunting in last few years, I'm sure there are  I know but I dont know they hunt. The local school. Has a great program and many school age children are in it and have taken up hunting and trap.. you can watch their hunts on tv on C.R.C.S. outdoors.. 

I see this as a continuing trend at least in this immediate area although I hope it spreads to others.. they are offering a safari for school kids across the usa right now

I know 3 woman including my wife that hunt. I got my wife into hunting 20 years ago. I remember when she took her hunter safety course for archery, she out shot all the men. I started her on target archery first at our local club and she was / is a pretty good shot. Loves hunting as much as I do. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2