APPARENTLY NOBODY SHOULD BE LIVING IN UPSTATE NY

Rattler

This is literally FAKE News. A Google search shows no such thing as "The Center for Population Research" or any Upstate New York study like the one that is mentioned in the "article". The publisher lists no links or searchable source, and most of the articles on their website are clickbait nonsense. Please, check your sources, just because something supports your opinion or views doesn't mean that it is right, or should be influencing others.

If I'm wrong, please share the sources and I will stand corrected, but if I'm right,  this is part of the polution spread by social media. The website literally says "Satire You Can Trust." The problem is people who agree with things will glance right past that and take this as "news".

Edited by Splitear_Leland
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Just curious.  What are your taxes upstate?  I was under the impression that taxes were significantly lower upstate. But by the sounds of it they must be pretty high. 

Lower than downstate, but much higher than similar places in other states.  NY State is ranked as one of the highest taxed states in the union.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Just curious.  What are your taxes upstate?  I was under the impression that taxes were significantly lower upstate. But by the sounds of it they must be pretty high. 

Around here it’s about 2.5-3% of total property value for residential give or take.   $300k house is 8-9k.   $1mm is 25-30k.   

5 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

You're a funny guy Rattler, did you just make that one up :)

I call 'em as I see 'em. ;)    

I would have given your first reply a laughing face, but I'm out of likes or anything else apparently.  LOL!

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

First that’s a Satire site .

As far as upstate taxes, first we’d need to define “ upstate “ my understanding is it’s anything above NYC, that’s a big area . It varies much from town to town ,waterfront and so on. My daughter just bought a home for 157k her taxes are pretty much  the same as her mortgage. My home is worth about 30k more and I pay over a grand closer to two LESS per year .

2 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Interesting.  I guess the taxes arent that low.  And im considering anything upstate north of putnam/southern dutchess. 

I suspect by percentage it’s similar but generally the same home costs more close to NYC so taxes will reflect that.  

At least there are a few positives from the high taxes and dysfunctional politics:  1) Less traffic on the roads (many without the gumption, patience, or money to stay in NY have already high-tailed it off to another state).  2) Less competition for available "free" meat (by that I mean fish and game) from able-bodied people.   Retirerees don't put as much pressure on those resources.  3) The satisfaction of knowing that more of the money you earn goes to helping others than yourself.   That one might not be all that handy here on earth, but will pay off well in the hearafter, and that lasts forever.  4) Lastly, I can take the cold a lot better than the heat, and could never survive South of about Gettysburg PA.   For me, the weather here is almost perfect and better on average than any other of the lower 48 and I have been to most of them. 

Edited by wolc123

Father Use to have a place in downsville.  Use to spend alot of time there in summer but when i was not fishing I was bored as balls...  Could not take it there for more than 3 days at a time....  Alot of my work is at weekend houses  in dutchess and litchfield counties for the manhattanites and most tell me they can not wait to leave the city on fri and they can not wait to leave upstate ny on sun.........

A good friend of mine  believed Sullivan county was upstate while growing up in the bronx.  His father died in the Korean war . His mother and grandmother use to work summers up in the Fallsburgh area .  Jewish resort camps . Think dirty dancing theme.  That's where he learned to fly fish . His grandmother and mom  eventually  saved enough to move to  Livingston  Manor area.  In his 20s he married and moved to Elmira. 

Spent many hours driving around , listening to Doowop  music , while he told story's of what it was like  and who lived where ....  his favorite  fishing holes . I learned a lot from him ... wish he was still here 

. Me growing up I thought anything north of 90 was upstate and anything  south  and  east  of Binghamton was down state .

Edited by Nytracker

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

At least there are a few positives from the high taxes and dysfunctional politics:  1) Less traffic on the roads (many without the gumption, patience, or money to stay in NY have already high-tailed it off to another state).  2) Less competition for available "free" meat (by that I mean fish and game) from able-bodied people.   Retirerees don't put as much pressure on those resources.  3) The satisfaction of knowing that more of the money you earn goes to helping others than yourself.   That one might not be all that handy here on earth, but will pay off well in the hearafter, and that lasts forever.  4) Lastly, I can take the cold a lot better than the heat, and could never survive South of about Gettysburg PA.   For me, the weather here is almost perfect and better on average than any other of the lower 48 and I have been to most of them. 

Coming from the rural part of another high tax state (Illinois) I can say that we see a lot more of the tax at work than what we did in southern Illinois. The roads a better, small towns have more investment, and there are many more social and economic supports available to those in need. Not many on this forum will appreciate the "helping people other than yourself" comment, but that's a difference of opinion. I agree with you though.

• Like 1

The rural communities in Illinois don't help themselves. One of the neighboring towns to my hometown recently had a coalition of started by folks from the 12 churches, that pushed the town council to not grant approval of a new liquor store, and pushed away a marijuana processing center that would have brought in hundreds of jobs. Yet those same people complain that new businesses won't come to town because of "the state". I don't regret leaving and coming to Upstate, we really love it here, though Vermont steals my heart every time I cross the border :)