REI store

Nomad

I’ve been to the flagship one in Seattle and joined the one in Roch. when  they opened here . I thought I’d share my experiences for those not familiar with them . Top of the line outdoor gear , not hunting ,but backpacking ,hiking, snowshoes ,rock climbing and so on , but there’s a large cross over, knives, headlamps,boots, base layers, socks, rope   and on and on .

The staff is always friendly and VERY   knowledgeable. Mrs told the guy she needed light weight ,ankle high, hiking boots, but not for any really technical hikes/ climbing . He went to the wall of boots and turned 6 or so facing her , she said I also have narrow feet, he turned a bunch back and said , these here are the ones . They have a sloping “ rock” so you can try them out going up and down ,not just walking around the store .

Then he explained why a wide toe box , can be a good thing and on and on about the shoes . She said she was going hiking in a week , and would see how they worked ,I guess . Then he said well you have ONE YEAR to bring them back, just wash off the mud ! 

She got some Darn Tough socks too, ( lifetime guarantee) and btw Smartwool has a two year one if you didn’t know . The guy knew more about the construction of socks then TF knows about beer, almost.... 

Just a great store with a great staff, no hassle returns . They have classes as well , from bike repair to winter camping .

• Like 2

I’ve been to the Rochester store a couple times, always impressed by the staff and selection.  

Top notch operation......not entirely sure WTH we don’t rate to get one in Buffalo??

OR a Costco......at this point, I think I’d trade straight up Cabela’s for REI and Costco.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’ve been to the Rochester store a couple times, always impressed by the staff and selection.  

Top notch operation......not entirely sure WTH we don’t rate to get one in Buffalo??

OR a Costco......at this point, I think I’d trade straight up Cabela’s for REI and Costco.  :)

I think we had one on the Blvd and it closed. Or was that EMS?

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

Every once in a while, REI will have a BOGO on Darn Tough socks. Until you've worn their Hunter's over-the-calf heavyweight boot sock, you ain't living. Under a pair of Mucks, you can sit in a stand or on the ice all day long. The forever guarantee makes the price hurt a little bit less lol. I've actually sent them socks back and had a new pair mailed to me within a week. That's what makes the BOGO great. I bought all of my hunting buddies who helped me move stands this winter a pair. And told them to watch out, they're addictive.

Also, REI online has used gear, from well-worn to almost new. It's worth checking out if you want to save some de niro and you're not hung up on having brand new, out-of-the-box shiny all the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, knehrke said:

Every once in a while, REI will have a BOGO on Darn Tough socks. Until you've worn their Hunter's over-the-calf heavyweight boot sock, you ain't living. Under a pair of Mucks, you can sit in a stand or on the ice all day long. The forever guarantee makes the price hurt a little bit less lol. I've actually sent them socks back and had a new pair mailed to me within a week. That's what makes the BOGO great. I bought all of my hunting buddies who helped me move stands this winter a pair. And told them to watch out, they're addictive.

Also, REI online has used gear, from well-worn to almost new. It's worth checking out if you want to save some de niro and you're not hung up on having brand new, out-of-the-box shiny all the time.

Please post up if you see a bogo sale on the socks.   Thx