Handgun Hunting?

Billdogge

I used to hunt with a S&W 29, 44 Mag with the long barrel. I killed one deer with it (when I had a red dot scope), and then missed several more after I took the scope off because I thought it looked better. I sold that gun after having it stolen in Illinois, ad then returned when we moved to NY. I don't remember which ammunition I used in it though.

• Like 1

I went to handgun only about 8 yrs ago,  Super red hawk 44 mag with 9.5 inch barrel is  my rig . I carried my grand dads 300 savage last year, first time taking it out, so the handgun stayed home . 
My powder of choice for my reloads is 2400. I’ve  used hard cast  and xtp’s to kill deer. Going to load up some 270 grain Speer deep curls and 280 grain swift A frames to see how they shoot this year. 
I started with a black hawk in 357 and used 180 grain  hard cast over 13 grains of 2400 and killed a few deer with that combo. My son will be using it this coming season, My wife hunts with a Gp100 in 357 . My SRH has a scope on it now and the 357’s have red dots . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

I used to hunt with a 44mag, Red Hawk and a Super Red Hawk, I'm going to have a 1911 in 10mm, not sure which one yet, Colt, Ruger, or the Springfield. Anyone with a 10mm?

I’m a ruger guy all the way, but they have been having problems with hot loads in the SR1911httpshttps://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=265073://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=265073 https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=265073

Edited by rob-c

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Around home I almost only handgun hunt. Either a glock 20 10mm, kimber 1911 10mm, custom gp100 10mm or a Rugers BH 45colt. The 10mm are shooting 155gn Barnes tax xp handloads, loaded with green dot powder. The 45colt is loaded with a 200gn Barnes 460xpb with a charge of H110.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can really tell the difference between the reloads with H110 and the factory rounds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billdogge said:

Any of you take your handgun in the field last season? What's your handgun/ammo of choice for hunting?

I carry a Browning hi-power .40 s&w  with 180 grain hollow points for when and if one comes in close and I can't swing the long gun without being spotted. Got a couple with it and they didn't go far. Nice shooting caliber with the oomph of a .357 without the recoil.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So much for Ruger being heavy duty, Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, helmut in the bush said:

So much for Ruger being heavy duty, Thanks

I myself was looking really hard at the SR1911 and was saving the money to buy one. Glad I didn’t rush right out and get it. I wanted one for general woods carry when we are out working etc. Now I have shifted to a 8 shot 357 red hawk and will be getting one I think. Ruger makes great guns but as in all man made items a company will put out a not so stellar product every now and again. 

• Like 1

I carry a 6" stainless Taurus revolver as more of a backup. I have been wanting to take a deer with it but the opportunity never seems to present itself when I have it with me. The one I love to carry is my Encore 15" in 308 Win. I didn't take it our this year becasue of the Filed to Fork people I had out. I figured I'd be better served if I was needed for a back up with my rifle. 

1--encore 308-2.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I carry a 6" stainless Taurus revolver as more of a backup. I have been wanting to take a deer with it but the opportunity never seems to present itself when I have it with me. The one I love to carry is my Encore 15" in 308 Win. I didn't take it our this year becasue of the Filed to Fork people I had out. I figured I'd be better served if I was needed for a back up with my rifle. 

1--encore 308-2.jpg

That is a sharp set up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

That is a sharp set up.

Thank you. I had to do a little rework on the forearm. I wanted to longer Rifle forearm and the Encore pistol and rifle holes don't align.  This way I can mount the bi pod and still have a dedicated sling swivel. 

It's capable of tennis ball groups at 200 if I do my part. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thank you. I had to do a little rework on the forearm. I wanted to longer Rifle forearm and the Encore pistol and rifle holes don't align.  This way I can mount the bi pod and still have a dedicated sling swivel. 

It's capable of tennis ball groups at 200 if I do my part. 

Beautiful set up. I was considering one awhile back and that makes me want to revisit it. 

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

If I may make a suggestion in a red dot check out the ultra dots. Not super expensive, light weight  and tough as iron. 

if you look done the NRA indoor bullseye competition firing line you'll see a lot of them. 22LR or 45 it doesn't matter. all Ultradots, including mine.

• Like 2