blackbeltbill

Great Video For Novice Spring Turkey Hunters.

Here is a very good educational Spring Turkey Video intended for Novice Hunters. If you have 3 or less Toms to your credit and have been trying hard for Alot of Springs with little result-- tune in to what This Guy has to say. Watch the video a few times before May 1st and try to incorporate the Knowledge given into your Spring Turkey Hunting so you can punch a Tag this May. I Teach similar ideas in my Videos. Enjoy.

For about forty years I hunted turkeys as this guy describes....Killed my share, on public land and on private land,  nearly all of which had  other turkeys hunters who also had permission, so it was not much different than public land,,

I have killed the great majority of my birds while sitting with my back against a tree, plus a few when I was lying on my belly, or on my back......

Up until about 10 years ago, I often covered 5-7 miles in a morning  in spring season...

I no longer have the legs for that anymore, and I also cannot hold the gun steady enough resting on my knee...

My turkey hunting the last few years has been done from a popup blind, with a steady rest for my gun...

I still enjoy hearing the birds gobble and respond to my calls, and  last year I managed to kill 4 adult gobblers ( in NY and Ontario)..

As we  get older, we do whatever we can with whatever we have left....Hehehe..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

For about forty years I hunted turkeys as this guy describes....Killed my share, on public land and on private land,  nearly all of which had  other turkeys hunters who also had permission, so it was not much different than public land,,

I have killed the great majority of my birds while sitting with my back against a tree, plus a few when I was lying on my belly, or on my back......

Up until about 10 years ago, I often covered 5-7 miles in a morning  in spring season...

I no longer have the legs for that anymore, and I also cannot hold the gun steady enough resting on my knee...

My turkey hunting the last few years has been done from a popup blind, with a steady rest for my gun...

I still enjoy hearing the birds gobble and respond to my calls, and  last year I managed to kill 4 adult gobblers ( in NY and Ontario)..

As we  get older, we do whatever we can with whatever we have left....Hehehe..

Indeed! Still, I uploaded this for guys who are just ( Struggling) out there and, I, have personally known a number who just cannot Kill a Spring Gobbler. Some of these Guys were expert Deer Hunters. I speak of no one here.  I am hoping to break my own Spring record of 4 and nail 5 Toms in a Spring before, I get too much older. Wheels here are still good. Moving down to my new Remington 870 20 Gauge with a 28" Barrel. At 6 1/2lbs- it is a few pounds lighter then my 12Gauge. I have a 16 Gauge Old Bolt Action that is the same weight. Undercarriage is gone- so, I load up with 1 Shell. I painted the whole shotgun light Green. Probably take my 12 gauge out on Rainy days as it is easier to clean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Indeed! Still, I uploaded this for guys who are just ( Struggling) out there and, I, have personally known a number who just cannot Kill a Spring Gobbler. Some of these Guys were expert Deer Hunters. I speak of no one here.  I am hoping to break my own Spring record of 4 and nail 5 Toms in a Spring before, I get too much older. Wheels here are still good. Moving down to my new Remington 870 20 Gauge with a 28" Barrel. At 6 1/2lbs- it is a few pounds lighter then my 12Gauge. I have a 16 Gauge Old Bolt Action that is the same weight. Undercarriage is gone- so, I load up with 1 Shell. I painted the whole shotgun light Green. Probably take my 12 gauge out on Rainy days as it is easier to clean.

Good luck, Bill..Hope ya kill 5 big ones this spring...

All of my main turkey guns have been HEAVY....A Browning A5  3" Mag.....A Rem 1100 3" Mag...A Rem  11-87  3" mag....  All of them 8-9 pound guns...Never mattered much to me, because until I set up on a bird, they were all slung... Detachable sling swivel studs were the FIRST things that I installed on my turkey guns, and  MID beads were the second...

Then with the 11-87, in the mid 90s, I installed  rib mounted fiber optic sights, and then, later on,  a variety  of optics....

It presently wears a Leupold  VX II 1 x 4.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Good luck, Bill..Hope ya kill 5 big ones this spring...

All of my main turkey guns have been HEAVY....A Browning A5  3" Mag.....A Rem 1100 3" Mag...A Rem  11-87  3" mag....  All of them 8-9 pound guns...Never mattered much to me, because until I set up on a bird, they were all slung... Detachable sling swivel studs were the FIRST things that I installed on my turkey guns, and  MID beads were the second...

Then with the 11-87, in the mid 90s, I installed  rib mounted fiber optic sights, and then, later on,  a variety  of optics....

It presently wears a Leupold  VX II 1 x 4.....

So far Dan, I use just the Standard Beads. I did have Fiber optic sights on my Winchester 1300 12Ga. The Speed Pump. Wish, I had not sold that one. I owned some years back a Remington 10 Gauge semi-Auto. Weighed over 10lbs. It had a Tiny Safety for such a Heavy Shotgun. I sold that one too. Another Turkey Shotgun that, I bought 2 years ago is my Black Stevens Model 301 Single Shot in 12 Gauge. I had a Primos Turkey choke that  fit like a glove and, I bought a LIMBSAVER Recoil Pad as this Shotgun is a Thumper.  I am thinking about selling this one too for a quick $70. 

I have a Benelli Nova Pump. 12 ga in camo, 3-1/2" receiver. Has  magazine disconnect so I can unload the chambered shell without cycling the next shell from the mag in case I wanted to change loads for whatever reason. Cool feature but I think better suited for duck and changing for the occasional goose load, but I use a different gun for waterfowl. None of this matters much as we have no spring season on the island of yet. BTW, I am still trying for my fall bird, no luck yet. Maybe next season. I step outside almost every morning lately and hear them gobble and cluck. I listen all them time so I can try to sound more realistic. They don't seam to make much noise on the fall tho. O well...I will keep trying until one day I figure it out lol. 

I fully support PETA!!

People Eating Tasty Animals

4 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I have a Benelli Nova Pump. 12 ga in camo, 3-1/2" receiver. Has  magazine disconnect so I can unload the chambered shell without cycling the next shell from the mag in case I wanted to change loads for whatever reason. Cool feature but I think better suited for duck and changing for the occasional goose load, but I use a different gun for waterfowl. None of this matters much as we have no spring season on the island of yet. BTW, I am still trying for my fall bird, no luck yet. Maybe next season. I step outside almost every morning lately and hear them gobble and cluck. I listen all them time so I can try to sound more realistic. They don't seam to make much noise on the fall tho. O well...I will keep trying until one day I figure it out lol. 

I see closest to Long Island + on the West Side of the Hudson River in Putnam + Dutchess Counties is -- Clarence Fahnestock State Park.  14,337 Acres. Park Hunting permit also required.  You should check that out. Seems closest to your area.

• Thanks 1