What arrow weights are you guys shooting?

BowmanMike

14 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

For the people going heavier , how much stiffer of a spine are you going to once you stack a bunch of weight up front?  It seems to be a popular discussion on AT ,i wonder how many guys are just going to stack weight on their existing arrows .

I am shooting 400 spine now,i will go to 300 with the heavy front. 60# at 29.5 DL

• Like 1

I’m shooting 60# with a 29” draw and last year shot gold tip hunters 400 with a rage on the end. I just bought some 340 beman ICS white outs and will play around with those this summer but if I struggle I’ll go back to the 400’s . Also just downloaded an arrow spine app that matches your specs with what arrow you should be shooting . It’s slick 

Edited by sodfather

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I shot a very light 355 grain arrow with a Rage this year and did not get nearly the penetration I'd like on my buck. He was hard quartering to but I was behind the shoulder, I want a setup that passes through in that scenario. Next year its heavier arrow with fixed (and not that much quartering away)

Your bow shoots faster then mine and my 405 total arrows come out the other side or at least make a hole . The doe I shot 2 years ago from the ground ,the fixed blade went another 15 to 20 yards after exiting . The one from last season made an exit hole with a decent quartering away and that was with a schwacker.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

For the people going heavier , how much stiffer of a spine are you going to once you stack a bunch of weight up front?  It seems to be a popular discussion on AT ,i wonder how many guys are just going to stack weight on their existing arrows .

I tried both the 320 spline and the 390 and didn’t notice much difference but went with the 320...there are plenty of calculators and other tools to help calculate proper Arrow weight/balance.

I believe Ashby shoots over 600 over 20% FOC on Cape buffalo and Grizzleys so 520’s with like a 15-17% FOC is nothing outrageous but does give a bit of heavy bone insurance on whitetails.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

21 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I go to 150 grain Magnus Stingers on my current shafts I will be at 403 grains/15.6% FOC. I think I'll start there. If I want to go heavier I will buy heavier shafts rather than put a ton more weight up front

You're already an accurate shooter ,I bet you stay with that set up after you hit the first deer and the bloody arrow is standing up in the ground.

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I shot a very light 355 grain arrow with a Rage this year and did not get nearly the penetration I'd like on my buck. He was hard quartering to but I was behind the shoulder, I want a setup that passes through in that scenario. Next year its heavier arrow with fixed (and not that much quartering away)

I think it is not uncommon to run into problems with a mechanical on angled shots. The blades can deploy at different times and you loose at ton of energy. Perfect broadside is no problem,but we dont always get that shot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That bow is far too pretty for the woods! I’ll be hunting with my Pulse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Get her bloody!  No bow is happy being a 3D queen. 

except for a metalic blue and chrome target bow all my bows will inevitably put a deer on the ground. i used to say otherwise but not anymore. i've realized i'm a bowhunter more than i'll every be a target archer. this past season my 3D bow which is a 39" A-to-A Elite Victory with side stabilizer stuffed my freezer. i don't shoot log like diameter arrows and glue in points for 3D. so i took my 350ish grain arrows and screwed on a matching weight broadhead.

I'm making the move to heavy as well.  I just ordered the Ethics Archery test kit.  I've been shooting Black Eagle Rampage, ~415 grain with a Rage Hypodermic.  I have T-Rex syndrome, 27" draw at about 65lbs and not a speed bow.  My only concern is heavy arrow will make 3D tough as it will be less forgiving judging yardage.  That may be my justification for adding a second bow to the arsenal.

I'll lend you the test kit when it gets here or maybe we can bare shaft tune together.

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You crushed that deer and buried in the offside ham, devastating! That crime scene still haunts my dreams...

This is exit on a big doe slight quarter 30 yards  Looks like a shotgun blast.  If I can get a shot I feel like I will bring them down with my rig.  Shot three deer with it and none have gone far (60 yards or under) and all pass thrus.  

5b58b2d519b30_2018doeMadison.jpg.28b3e55c0bddc97f10cb8ef353ae1ddf.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I go to 150 grain Magnus Stingers on my current shafts I will be at 403 grains/15.6% FOC. I think I'll start there. If I want to go heavier I will buy heavier shafts rather than put a ton more weight up front

15.6 foc is fine. I’d stick with that weight up front. 

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

except for a metalic blue and chrome target bow all my bows will inevitably put a deer on the ground. i used to say otherwise but not anymore. i've realized i'm a bowhunter more than i'll every be a target archer. this past season my 3D bow which is a 39" A-to-A Elite Victory with side stabilizer stuffed my freezer. i don't shoot log like diameter arrows and glue in points for 3D. so i took my 350ish grain arrows and screwed on a matching weight broadhead.

The new bow is setup for fat shafts, however if something happened to my hunting bow im sure I could have it shooting broadheads in a hurry

messing around with multiple setups for my new hunting bow. at 60lbs and 29" draw. i likely won't end up with crazy heavy arrows. slow down too much less than 280 fps and the arrows drop in a hurry. i don't have a chrono but speed calculators are close enough. i'll probably be in the ball park of 450 ish finished weight. closer to 500 and it'll probably be real slow. so many choices.