What arrow weights are you guys shooting?

BowmanMike

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If it were anywhere but there id trash it. Worst case Ill knock that tip out and cut it above. Its full length now

i'd knock half of them back that same amount. you can probably soak the points in acetone to free up the carbon fiber and reuse them. if you don't like them for some reason you still have assumed 3 left. i number my arrows and then forget all about what makes them different. after a while certain ones seem to find their way to the X more than others. then i get curious and check them out. not while i'm shooting though.

17 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm an engineer. i over think everything. mostly though if i know my arrows are the same there's no reason for me to think about them anymore.

I hear you, and I like it! Im just too lazy lol. I did just have all my arrows refletched left offset after marking a bare shaft and seeing which way they were turning out of the bow. No noticeable difference in groups lol

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hear you, and I like it! Im just too lazy lol. I did just have all my arrows refletched left offset after marking a bare shaft and seeing which way they were turning out of the bow. No noticeable difference in groups lol

only one i've heard say to do that was levi morgan. i'm not levi morgan. i also don't plan on shooting an animal out past 60 yards so my arrows are likely getting refletched by me with whatever ridiculous helical my ez-fletch jig puts on them. doesn't matter what way they want to go. they're turning and burning with the full right helical. my 3D bow is a backup hunting bow so it gets the same. otherwise a slight offset would be sufficient and probably have less drop. besides when a fletch comes off mid flight it's hilarious. dragon fly from hell. 

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

only one i've heard say to do that was levi morgan. i'm not levi morgan. i also don't plan on shooting an animal out past 60 yards so my arrows are likely getting refletched by me with whatever ridiculous helical my ez-fletch jig puts on them. doesn't matter what way they want to go. they're turning and burning with the full right helical. my 3D bow is a backup hunting bow so it gets the same. otherwise a slight offset would be sufficient and probably have less drop. besides when a fletch comes off mid flight it's hilarious. dragon fly from hell. 

I only have a right jig so my buddy volunteered to do them. There are lots of threads on archery talk about it, and as with all topics, no one can agree on anything lol

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I only have a right jig so my buddy volunteered to do them. There are lots of threads on archery talk about it, and as with all topics, no one can agree on anything lol

people on there are worse than i am tinkering with shit. leaving office now to see if a place has different nocks for my walmart clearance arrows i'm going to customize.

42 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think ideas move from trad to compound.  Rt makes sense for a rt handed recurve shooter since arrow is left of center at rest.  But on a compound you shoot centershot mostly so I am not sure how much it could matter.  But if it gives greater confidence it’s worth trying it.  

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think ideas move from trad to compound.  Rt makes sense for a rt handed recurve shooter since arrow is left of center at rest.  But on a compound you shoot centershot mostly so I am not sure how much it could matter.  But if it gives greater confidence it’s worth trying it.  

here's the explaination. when i bareshaft tune though and get it dialed in idk if i can tell if it's launching left or right.  i've had better luck keeping all my arrows setup exactly the same and pair together the ones that group together. also i'm a mear peasant and only have the means to fletch my arrows one way at the moment. lol

FYI place didn't have the nocks despite he's got a pile of them hanging in the video. lol i can only keep some much crap stocked for me and friends at my house!

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

it does but only if it throws the opposite way. plus like i said you have to have the arrow that "launches" enough to tell. some of his tips and tricks your average shooter can't shoot well enough to tell the difference or take advantage of. plus how many times does he shoot or does someone need to shoot a bare shaft to figure out which way it favors vs which way your screwing it up. stuff like this is why i have a boxes and piles of archery stuff and work on my own equipment. always new and improved gadgets to try too.

41 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It’s pretty simple, Mark a shaft and shoot it at three feet, four feet, five feet and see which way it’s turning. I don’t think shooting flaws can change that
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i've seen some people do some weird things with anchor points, release, and form to cause weird tears in paper with bare shafts. i have to think that's imparting something on the arrow shaft that may or may not "knuckle ball" its movement too. if you're decent though i'm with ya that it makes sense. i don't another thing i noticed is the electrical tape in place of the fletching to keep the same dynamic spine of the arrow and keep the weight the same. anyone else do this? i usually call it good enough with trying for an absolute perfect tear to move on to things like walk back tuning, so idk if it really makes much of a difference or not.

22 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think it’s simply the serving acting as “rifling” in the nock. So it depends on which direction the string was served

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

never really looked at every bow but when i think about it aren't they all served in the same direction (edit: right handed bow in press cable with cable guard and rest on far side. wrap under toward you and up over away. ....i guess that's with the string twist)?

Edited by dbHunterNY

36 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

What has happened to this thread? My head is spinning,stop it!

Seriously though,i like seeing peoples approaches,it is interesting and educational. Carry on folks...

I thought the 340 or 350 was weight on arrows but it maybe spine. Like when I played competitive golf I never over analyzed things    In both I rely on muscle memory, repetitive motion with perhaps less inferior equipment 

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I thought the 340 or 350 was weight on arrows but it maybe spine. Like when I played competitive golf I never over analyzed things    In both I rely on muscle memory, repetitive motion with perhaps less inferior equipment 

That's the spine ,the arrows will be marked in gpi, the length of the arrow times that number will give you shaft weight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

What has happened to this thread? My head is spinning,stop it!

Seriously though,i like seeing peoples approaches,it is interesting and educational. Carry on folks...

Wow agree! 31 years of killing deer with a bow and I don’t even understand all, this . Spine , inserts ,this weight and that . I can’t even tell you the brand of arrow I use . Buy bow, buy arrows ,stick a head on them kill deer, eat deer , why over think it ?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

yup its spine.  I shoot 340's but arrow is 415 for weight.  Including nock , inserts, broadhead, fletches.  Kinda like a set of irons - stiffer or more forgiveness.  These guys and their analytics are way over my head though.  They are playing with a caddy and Im on a 9 hole course.  

• Like 2