Yay!!!!

Moho81

The first EcoBoost actually came out in 2010. I did a lot of reading from car magazines and personal customer reviews. Looked at recall information etc. 2 major problems with the first generation 3.5 made me want to stay away. 1. Being that if not driven hard every once and a while condensation would sit near or in the turbos and when on hard acceleration the water would get sucked into the turbos and either cause the truck to go into limp mode or worse hydro lock the engine. Ford corrected the problem pretty fast so it wasn’t a huge concern but still a concern. 2. Was reports that the turbos where starting to fail around 75,000 miles. Considering I was buying used I knew I’d be at that mileage shortly after buying it. The do it yourself repair cost was pretty cheap but you had to take a ton of stuff off in order to swap out the turbos. The repair cost from the dealer was very expensive.

That’s what I remember from my research anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got ya. I have one of the first ecoboosts made. Mines a early 2011 and she’s got 181k on her now. I was just confused as to why anyone could say the 5.0 was more proven over the eco as they both debut in the 2011 year trucks. But I fully understand the logic behind old school V8 vs new school small displacement turbos and questionable long term reliability. Idk where you read about the turbos failing at 75k but I’ve seen/heard very little on that. The intercooler was deff a issue on the early ones. A small pin hole drilled into the bottom of it solves that issue but I’ve never had to do it on mine. I think that was more of a issue for southern state drivers who experience high humidity on a year round basis. To date I haven’t had any major repairs on mine. Just your normal maint stuff like plugs and I did new coils at 155k. Had a wheel bearing go bad around 110k but motor wise she’s been great.

Overall the eco boost has been a giant success as far as I can tell. It pretty much changed the truck market and now has everyone else following suit.

I got ya. I have one of the first ecoboosts made. Mines a early 2011 and she’s got 181k on her now. I was just confused as to why anyone could say the 5.0 was more proven over the eco as they both debut in the 2011 year trucks. But I fully understand the logic behind old school V8 vs new school small displacement turbos and questionable long term reliability. Idk where you read about the turbos failing at 75k but I’ve seen/heard very little on that. The intercooler was deff a issue on the early ones. A small pin hole drilled into the bottom of it solves that issue but I’ve never had to do it on mine. I think that was more of a issue for southern state drivers who experience high humidity on a year round basis. To date I haven’t had any major repairs on mine. Just your normal maint stuff like plugs and I did new coils at 155k. Had a wheel bearing go bad around 110k but motor wise she’s been great.

Overall the eco boost has been a giant success as far as I can tell. It pretty much changed the truck market and now has everyone else following suit.

Perhaps a should be more disappointed in my truck than I am. 111k and been stranded twice.

I did test drive a couple of EcoBoost’s and I was absolutely shocked at how much power they had and how fast they where.

I agree in hindsight the EcoBoost engines have been a game changer and not just for the truck market.

Perhaps a should be more disappointed in my truck than I am. 111k and been stranded twice.

I did test drive a couple of EcoBoost’s and I was absolutely shocked at how much power they had and how fast they where.

I agree in hindsight the EcoBoost engines have been a game changer and not just for the truck market.

That sucks. But I sadly can’t say I’m shocked to hear it. I follow a lot of Ford forums and FB pages and I’ve seen quite a few 5.0 issues over the years. My dad has a 2014 f150 with the 5.0 and his truck was in the shop quite a few times for engine related issues, which surprised the hell out of us.

They sure are fast. I went from a 2010 Cummins that had all sorts of power goodies to my eco boost. I saw a commercial for them when they were first coming out and did some online research about how they designed them and decided I needed to test drive one. When I first slammed the throttle I was sold haha. Bought one the very next day and I’ve been beating the crap out of it ever since.

The success of the eco boost has been fun to watch that’s for sure. I remember the smack talk from all the Chevy and dodge fans when they came out. I took a ton of crap from a bunch of my buddies, until they watched my tail lights disappear on a drag lol. It’s fun to point out to them now how Chevy is putting a 4 cyl turbo in a truck when Chevy ran commercials bashing ford for using a V6 lol.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

EXACTLY what I had researched myself a couple years ago.