Motorcycles: Who Rides?

Deleted Account

As I'm looking forward to spring, I'm not only looking forward to some kayak fishing, but breaking out my 2 wheeled ride. I'm curious who here rides, and what are you riding.

Now, don't be jealous, but my bike of choice is a 2010 Vespa GTV 250. I've had a few motorcycles, but this thing is the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. My wife "suggested" that I sell my bikes about 6 years ago, but after a trip to Italy a couple of years ago where we rented a Vespa for day, she allowed it would be okay for me to get one. One week later I was turning heads on my Vespa (maybe it was my 6'4" 250lb frame on a scooter that was turning heads).

Regardless, the things been solid for 2 years, have done some 8 hour rides on it. A year ago my wife and I took it up Equionx Mountain in VT, no problems, except stopping a few times to let the brakes cool off on the way down (just to be safe). 

I always enjoy passing people at 70mph, it's certainly not something that they expect to be getting passed by. Additionally, coming from riding loud bikes, I do enjoy being able to hear my music/audiobooks while I ride. A helmet mounted headphone system was a great purchase. 

32805409_10103360573086767_966413142483533824_o (1).jpg

IMG_20171015_145355199.jpg

• Like 8

I got rid of my Honda VTX 1800 about 8 years ago. Too many close calls with people in cars not paying attention. Once the joy was replaced by stress I knew it was time to sell it.  If they want to drift over now against my Nissan Titan 4 door with an 8 foot bed I am way less nervous...lol

That was my first bike and I loved it. I miss riding and If I could take about 2 day trips a year I would get my fix.

I stopped riding when she told me she was pregnant with my first. I figured he needed me more than I needed my bike. Almost died everytime I rode it (CBR900RR with some mods). I was the maniac that passed you doing 90 on one tire. SMH what was I thinking?? I def miss it. If I was ever to get another...I'm thinking it would be a HD Softail. 

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Texting drivers convinced me to sell my last bike (street glide).  Its fun but a little too risky for me now.  I am surprised that vespa pulls 70mph with you on it.  I would be turning my head too.  lol

73mph on gps, that's a flat stretch. Its most comfortable at 55 or so though.

5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I stopped riding when she told me she was pregnant with my first. I figured he needed me more than I needed my bike. Almost died everytime I rode it (CBR900RR with some mods). I was the maniac that passed you doing 90 on one tire. SMH what was I thinking?? I def miss it. If I was ever to get another...I'm thinking it would be a HD Softail. 

this is my first... 6 years ago. I now have 3.

I say plan for the future!

IMG_1870.thumb.JPG.6c73929590344f16e575018b509ae6ac.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Belo said:

i don't have the heart to sell her. I used to ride a ton, then less and now maybe a dozen or so times a summer is all. It's enough to scratch the itch and worth the small price of insurance as she owes me nothing

IMG_8143.jpg.b8d2e2ea9e7519174ee313ae3132e86b.jpg

Makes me miss mine more now lol. I once told her I wanted to get another and she said, "You got rid of it for one, now that you have two it's ok?" Couldn't argue with that logic...so I bought a vette. Shoulda seen the look on her face!

Sweet bike Belo

I used to ride a 650 Vulcan in Silicon Valley. I think I was addicted to the rush when Asian women would suddenly do a no signal turn into your lane.  Lost count number of times that happened at speed. Closest I came to buying the farm once with that scenario. 

Legally splitting lanes was something also. Those were the days...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

X2 all the way around . 

• Like 1

Still have a MC license, but haven't ridden since my 20's (long time ago). Had a sweet Yamaha Special 650 - was the first thing I ever bought new.

Got hit by a car, and that kind of took the shine off riding for me. I was lucky, just banged up and bruised and walked away.

Got the bike fixed and sold it after letting it collect dust for a year. 

• Like 2

Lots and lots of bikes in California. EVERYONE split lanes at speed.  Amazing.  I had been splitting lanes one day on a major highway. I got to clear area on the highway and hit the gas. Kicking back on my Vulcan at about 90, a motorcycle cop pulled up next to me, in my lane no less.  He had a slight grin on his face so I figured I was OK. He raised and lowered his hand a few times, saying slow down. Let off the gas back down to something like 70-75 and he left me in the dust. He was MOVING...

• Like 2

Had two bikes in my life ,from about idk 1980 to 2000 ? Put a bit over 100,000 on them , kids really cut the miles down the last few years .

Lost it hitting an oil slick while making a left through and intersection, slid right through on the ground behind the bike . Mostly ok , broke cutch handle off so had to drive home  down shifting when the R’s dropped , and avoided coming to complete stop at red lights .

Hit by one car on Lyell ave and Glide st . A few close calls like every rider faces .

If I was to get another , it would be a rat  bobber .

Had a GSXR a few years back. Man that bike was fun to ride. Top speed I hit on it was 140 coming down 390 at 4 in the morning in April. Fun in the moment, but in hindsight it was dumb for more than one reason. Eventually the wife said that if I want kids, the bike had to go. It was an easy choice, but I do miss riding. Every now and then I peak at cruisers on CL.. @chrisw that's a nice looking bike!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Sweeet....

Bought my ride from another member here......

34 MPH (with some down hill assist)

dk2NkqA.jpg

You know, all of the tough guys riding crotch rockets laugh at me, but I don't hear them laughing when the light turns green.... and they get so far ahead of me that I just can't hear them anymore :)

• Haha 2