Chefs first AR build

Chef

Picked up the lower today, waiting on a few more parts and this build will be under way, probably starting next Thursday

8862b310bff3255d8639f63ecb021355.jpg&key=2e3b72fb904cce2017de5642ecd37d454beb80a671b6446233968187dc08ea6a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's against safe act to have the picture of "full auto" option on your lower .... Pictures kill people.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok guys so by tomorrow all the lower parts will be here and I will assemble the lower on Wednesday or Thursday.

The big question I have now is barrel size

I’m pretty sure I found the barrel I’m going with. They don’t make it in a 20 inch so my options are 18 and 22 I keep going back and forth let’s hear your input

40 minutes ago, Chef said:

Ok guys so by tomorrow all the lower parts will be here and I will assemble the lower on Wednesday or Thursday.

The big question I have now is barrel size

I’m pretty sure I found the barrel I’m going with. They don’t make it in a 20 inch so my options are 18 and 22 I keep going back and forth let’s hear your input

Weight difference?

Not enough to matter.   Convenience of a shorter rifle vs ringing out all performance possible.  

Yea I just can’t make up my mind I seriously might just flip a coin, I’m thinking 18 maybe be it but at that point it almost defeats the purpose of the 224

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Yea I just can’t make up my mind I seriously might just flip a coin, I’m thinking 18 maybe be it but at that point it almost defeats the purpose of the 224

My 224 is 18.  Shoots well.  But yes I doubt I will be shooting it 1000yds which really is the intent.  Long range shooting from an AR15 platform.  

that said, 90g fusion might just be good juju on deer. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

16" is more than enough to keep a bullet moving fast. Also will be more than accurate out to any distance you can send it. Weight and length when walking the woods can make a big difference. My 16" barrel is all I need and more. If I had to do it again, I'd get another 16" or there are a few stainless pencils I'd get. I def prefer stainless over blue. Except Moogs, his "blued" barrels look really cool and are extremely light. Lol

So to answer your question, if you have narrowed it down to 18 or 22, get whatever is cheaper and put the money towards glass.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For regular use hunting I think you are making the right decision

I agree, I can’t wait for this thing to be done so I can go play with it. If I finish the lower Thursday which I’m sure I will I’m gunna go to camp and put it on my 5.56 upper for some fun.

I think Tree guy is right and deciding what glass to get will be a lot of fun too

• Like 1

Ok so I went with the 18 inch criterion barrel, with a JP industries headspaced bolt and a JP industries light weight bolt Carrier group!

All that’s led to buy is the upper hand guard and gas system...

Well that and a optic but I’m sure there will be a lengthy discussion on that one

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, moog5050 said:

Not enough to matter.   Convenience of a shorter rifle vs ringing out all performance possible.  

On 2/17/2020 at 7:26 PM, moog5050 said:

My 224 is 18.  Shoots well.  But yes I doubt I will be shooting it 1000yds which really is the intent.  Long range shooting from an AR15 platform.  

that said, 90g fusion might just be good juju on deer. 

that would be my question. At the ranges you intend to shoot, assuming under 500. If weight isn't a factor, does the length really matter? Is accuracy greatly improved or no? And if it isn't, it seems the agility of the shorter barrel not getting hung up on stuff while hiking and hunting would be the true advantage. 

Edited by Belo

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

that would be my question. At the ranges you intend to shoot, assuming under 500. If weight isn't a factor, does the length really matter? Is accuracy greatly improved or no? And if it isn't, it seems the agility of the shorter barrel not getting hung up on stuff while hiking and hunting would be the true advantage. 

length does not affect accuracy from everything I read.  It usually will impact speed/muzzle velocity, but not always.  And some barrels even from the same manufacturer are faster than others.  My creed barrel is very fast compared to what I (and the scope manufacturer) expected from a 20" barrel.  Like 150fps faster than estimated.