Chefs first AR build

Chef

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

interesting. It's like if there weren't legal reasons for it, we'd all just hunt with sawed off rifles... although i do like some weight and balance. I think some rifles are too light to balance well. Wonder how this applies to shotgun ballistics too.

28 minutes ago, Belo said:

interesting. It's like if there weren't legal reasons for it, we'd all just hunt with sawed off rifles... although i do like some weight and balance. I think some rifles are too light to balance well. Wonder how this applies to shotgun ballistics too.

Velocity still matters in precision shooting as a minor error in yardage estimation and holdover/doping are less critical.   But my research basically suggested that a short barrel is just as “accurate” as a long barrel.  

Right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You also need to match your gas system to the barrel you have. Likely it will already have the port for mid length, rifle, carbine, etc. And you'll have to match your buffer tube and weight to such. But I'm sure you already have that covered.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You also need to match your gas system to the barrel you have. Likely it will already have the port for mid length, rifle, carbine, etc. And you'll have to match your buffer tube and weight to such. But I'm sure you already have that covered.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For now It’s rifle length and I got the correct buffer, I’m working on picking a gas block now. I’m thinking a bleed off adjustable especially since I went with the low mass bolt carrier

See....you start this project and now neglect YOUR MEAT!!!! Fridge goes, no updates on stuffing or cooking temps...Cuomo is right...guns are bad!

Lol it’s in my basement fridge getting stuffed and smoked tonight

15 hours ago, Chef said:

Most of it seems to be easy, the front pivot pin however is a pain in the ass I need to
Buy another detent tomorrow

Lol.  I hate pulling that pin.   Use a pick to push detent in while sliding in the pin.  Pulling it out is more of a pain!   Took me more than an hour and using two picks to swap that front pin a couple of weeks ago.  

Lol.  I hate pulling that pin.   Use a pick to push detent in while sliding in the pin.  Pulling it out is more of a pain!   Took me more than an hour and using two picks to swap that front pin a couple of weeks ago.  

Yea I can’t even imagine pulling it, I actually got another detent today and got it on my first try about to post pics of the finished lower

So I don’t know what possessed me to do this but I went with a low mass bolt carrier group, are any of you running adjustable gas blocks if so which ones

The only AR's I have running adjustable gas blocks are ones with suppressors, but I live in Florida, non suppressed 16,18, and 20 inch never needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The only AR's I have running adjustable gas blocks are ones with suppressors, but I live in Florida, non suppressed 16,18, and 20 inch never needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s not that it is needed it’s more that with the low mass bolt carrier I can turn the gas down and get less recoil. Most AR’s are seriously over gassed

3 hours ago, Chef said:

So I don’t know what possessed me to do this but I went with a low mass bolt carrier group, are any of you running adjustable gas blocks if so which ones

I think if you run a low mass bcg you also need a lighter buffer spring and the adjustable gas block.  Supposed to reduce recoil but I also think they tend to be more finicky.   Hope it works for you but on a 224 the recoil is nothing anyways so you may want to just go with a standard bcg and avoid the tuning hassle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

It’s not that it is needed it’s more that with the low mass bolt carrier I can turn the gas down and get less recoil. Most AR’s are seriously over gassed

You can tell by the ejection if it’s over gassed.  It will chip up the ejection port if over gassed.  90 degree ejection is good (except for the guy to your right at the range lol).  

• Like 3

I think if you run a low mass bcg you also need a lighter buffer spring and the adjustable gas block.  Supposed to reduce recoil but I also think they tend to be more finicky.   Hope it works for you but on a 224 the recoil is nothing anyways so you may want to just go with a standard bcg and avoid the tuning hassle. 

Yea I probably shouldn’t have done it, but from all the reading I have done it’s all about reciprocating mass so one could always just use a heavier buffer