Info on coyote

cynthiafu

6 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You can post all of the exceptions to the rule you want, I think the recent coyote contest explains it all. Out of 118 (which is a large sample pool) the largest was 50lbs. Can one get bigger? Sure. 1 in 500? 1 in 1,000? That's hardly a rule, those XL's are an exception. People also get 7' tall, but that's also an extreme example of a human. I'm really not sure what is trying to be depicted here? I also agree with others, unless I know details and a scale picture I'm skeptical of most things, but then again noone can lie on the internet....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

stop with your math and science again!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grampy said:

That's why I went to an AR from a bolt action! A quicker follow up shot.

Treeguy and I are supposed to be prepared for a follow up on the other's shot if there is a miss.  That said, until now it has generally been the first shooter banging away as the dog runs if there is a miss.  But now with 2 thermals running we will get it down - eventually.  lol

80 and 90lbs aren't yotes, those are wolves.  If true, those are Andre the Giants of yotes.

• Like 4

You are supposed to follow up!   Although I never think about it either.   

I would have if it came into my area. He shot at it before anyone else could even see it also he shot twice at it (shotgun). Cynthia saw the other dog in the field behind us. It would have walked right between me and her on the way to the caller

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just now, The Jerkman said:

I would have if it came into my area. He shot at it before anyone could even see it. Cynthia saw the other dog in the field behind us. It would have walked right between me and her on the way to the caller

You all don't stand together?

2 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

He wanted to spread out over 40 yards or so. There were 3 of us plus Cynthia

Makes those shots when they show from an unexpected place a little scary and difficult to communicate when one is coming in.  Tough with that many people though.  I like the way Andrew sets us up being a few feet away with one covering one side and the other covering the other side.  Shots are a little loud though.  I haven't hunted with three shooters yet.

• Like 2

Makes those shots when they show from an unexpected place a little scary and difficult to communicate when one is coming in.  Tough with that many people though.  I like the way Andrew sets us up being a few feet away with one covering one side and the other covering the other side.  Shots are a little loud though.  I haven't hunted with three shooters yet.
That is how I would have liked things. Maybe 3 feet between each that way we can tap the other or otherwise communicate a bit more easily

• Like 1

Did you skeptics read the article where it said it had a past winner in NY that weighed 70 lbs?
Follow the trends.  The average weights are going up each year.  
Has either one of you ever taken a coyote?
Yes, I have shot and trapped a fair number of coyotes. What's your point? And yes it had A coyote that was 70. So these coyotes are morphing into wolves now? What exactly are you saying?? By my math noone on this site has probably killed 118 coyotes so we'll have to take the contest findings into account. I think it says 50lbs is a XL coyote and not overly common. 70lbs!? Almost unheard of. Unless we're talking about YOUR coyotes, then 75lbs is probably average.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Of course you left out that I always give you the primo down wind side....

As far as average weights go, I've said it before and I'll say it again, coyotes are the most adaptable animal in North America. If they average 30# it's cause that's all they need to be to survive. If they are 70# it's cause they need to be that big to survive. Has nothing to do with age, genetic strain (wolyote or coywolf, whatever you call it) also nothing to do with available food or male or female. Out west the dogs are much smaller, yet there is more food and easier hunting.... Do the math.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Of course you left out that I always give you the primo down wind side....

As far as average weights go, I've said it before and I'll say it again, coyotes are the most adaptable animal in North America. If they average 30# it's cause that's all they need to be to survive. If they are 70# it's cause they need to be that big to survive. Has nothing to do with age, genetic strain (wolyote or coywolf, whatever you call it) also nothing to do with available food or male or female. Out west the dogs are much smaller, yet there is more food and easier hunting.... Do the math.

That’s because we get skunked when you sit downwind.   Hmmmm ...........

• Like 1

BS on 80 and 90 pound coyotes unless Wolc weighted them in with a yard stick. 

] The largest coyote on record was a male killed near Afton, Wyoming, on November 19, 1937, which measured 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in) from nose to tail, and weighed 34 kg (75 lb).[6]

How can it be that the largest recorded coyote was a western coyote?  And in 1937 to boot!!!

• Like 1

BS on 80 and 90 pound coyotes unless Wolc weighted them in with a yard stick. 

] The largest coyote on record was a male killed near Afton, Wyoming, on November 19, 1937, which measured 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in) from nose to tail, and weighed 34 kg (75 lb).[6]

How can it be that the largest recorded coyote was a western coyote?  And in 1937 to boot!!!

4'11" to tail, regardless of tail bone or tail tip, seems like that was one portly yote. I will gather those measurements on the next dog I touch.

32 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Did you miss this link I posted from 2010?  Missouri would say your info is out dated.  Either that or not all yotes are entered in the records.

https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-shoots-unusually-large-coyote-northwest-missouri

7 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Did you miss this link I posted from 2010?  Missouri would say your info is out dated.  Either that or not all yotes are entered in the records.

https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-shoots-unusually-large-coyote-northwest-missouri

Zero credibility from you. 

“A previous case of mistaken identity happened in late 2010 with the shooting of what also appeared to be an unusually large coyote in Carroll County. DNA test results of the 104-pound canine linked the animal to timber wolves from Great Lakes states.”

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Zero credibility from you. 

“A previous case of mistaken identity happened in late 2010 with the shooting of what also appeared to be an unusually large coyote in Carroll County. DNA test results of the 104-pound canine linked the animal to timber wolves from Great Lakes states.”

The article comes directly from the Missouri Conservation Department and it says they did DNA tests.  Sounds pretty credible.  Where does your statement refuting that info come from?