Hate ticks

Swamp_bucks

My dog the last 18 hrs went from acting a little tired to not walking.   Got home from work this morning and he was stuck in the couch.  Not really weird if you no danes or him they are a bit clumsy.  So he got up finally little slow but went out. Daughter hugged him goodbye before school as normal and said he felt warm. I just blew it off.  Well got up this afternoon and did my normal routine.  When i got into living room he was whimpering and moaning lying on his side.  So I tried to get him up and outside.  Wouldnt you know he couldnt walk, shaking even had a hard time keeping his head up.  So off to the vet for a checkup.  Bad case of lymes disease, temp of 107 when normal supposed to be 102.   I have no idea when he got bit. Never found one on him all year.   So now hes on heavy meds for a month and hope he has a full recovery.   Just so you know not easy caring a 110lb dog that doesnt want to be touched. Lol

• Sad 4

After a 1 dose of meds hes already 10 times better then before.   For flea and tick treatment we have  always given him frontline with no issues but this year my wife bought something else cant remember,i also give him a flea/tick  bath every 2 weeks from may until october then once a month.  Told my wife he will be getting the good stuff from the vet from now on just to make sure we dont go through this again.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

My Aussie had it too.  Went from acting a little odd to very similar to what you experienced.  He made a full recovery, back to his old frisbee catching, quad chasing self within a month.

Edit:  Weirdly it was right around this time of year too.

It was weird just within hrs he went to crap.  But the vet said its common when dogs get it that they can be fine in the morning and by lunch youde think they are dying.  But she wasnt kididng how quick he would feel better jumped right off the couch ang got to the door before i did to go outside this morning.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

It was weird just within hrs he went to crap.  But the vet said its common when dogs get it that they can be fine in the morning and by lunch youde think they are dying.  But she wasnt kididng how quick he would feel better jumped right off the couch ang got to the door before i did to go outside this morning.

Good to hear!  You caught it early enough that he should be right as rain, sounds like.

I need to start my pooch back on the nexguard soon, seems like an early spring is right around the corner.  

I have had several of my hunting dogs contract Lyme, the first symptoms are lethargy, limping and pain in the front shoulder joints. Having had Lyme myself I know there is not many things in this world that can make you feel as lousy health wise. Seems it is becoming more and more prevalent in recent times, I never remember seeing a tick when I was a kid. 

Amoxicillin for 30 days will usually clear it up with marked improvement showing within a couple of days of the first doses.

Al

My last three labs I had them get the lyme vaccine  as a puppy . Only buy soresto collars  from the vets office to avoid getting fakes they are expensive . If you dont use the soresto collars  use   an advantex type treatment still expensive. I also keep my dogs on a heartworm medicine  year round.  We live very near  large swamp . Nock on wood we haven't had a lyme issue  or heartworm  yet .

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

I’ve been using Seresto for years with great results. Each collar is good for 8 months. I rarely even find dead ones on him. Usually they get hot foot and jump off immediately. I buy them from Chewy and set it for auto ship so that I don’t have to remember when to replace them. 

• Like 2

Glad he’s feeling better. Mine got Lyme years ago and it was diagnosed quick and no issues.
I stopped using the Sorrento collars though as my dog started getting seizures and I’ve had 2 friends dogs have neurological issues that improved after stepping using. Also check treats and dog food good. I would never give my pet a treat from China or most countries that don’t regulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk