Would You Go On A Cruise This Summer?

Lawdwaz

So a couple of my best buddies (non hunting) and their wives along with my wife of course are talking about an Alaskan cruise late this summer.  Nobody knows for sure what the status of the corona virus will be next month or in 6 months, would you consider it or not?

I'm not asking your opinions on cruises themselves, just whether you feel it'd be a safe environment or not?

My buddies two wives aren't concerned at all about the corona virus and are even talking about going possibly the end of this coming May.

Thanks for your thoughts......

Too early to tell. Just put down a minimal non-refundable deposit. Deposit requirements may vary booking direct with cruise line vs. through a travel agent ( tip: Costco Travel is usually competitive.) Also, if price goes down, cruise lines will usually price match if you book direct.

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 1

Frankly you wouldn't get me on one of those 5000 person germ factories if you gave it to me and paid me....but thats me.

Flights are bad enough.

I sent my parents to Alaska on a cruise for their 50th about 8 years ago and booked them on a small boat cruise. Service was impeccable but its not cheap like the big people barges. 

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If in return for the cruise, you and I are headed out west for a hunt.......then YES, do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a Cape Buffalo in Tanzania for unreal price I haven't seen in 20 years with a top operator. AND he even owns a Sako 375 lefty that's perfect for the trip.:rofl:

• Like 4

How about a Cape Buffalo in Tanzania for unreal price I haven't seen in 20 years with a top operator. AND he even owns a Sako 375 lefty that's perfect for the trip.:rofl:

I’ve never had an interest in Africa, but sounds like a great deal

7 hours ago, Nomad said:

So at the gym I wipe down the equipment before and after I use it , If that’s a clue .

Its amazing the amount of people that do not wipe  the equipment down at all . Back on topic, really hard to say one will have to play it by ear. You guys may get a smoking deal though.

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

No way would I get trapped on one of those floating petri dishes of death .  I had to go to the store yesterday.  Walked through the door and there is an Asian family all wearing rubber gloves and masks. I turned around and walked out.  Have to wonder what the hell that was about .

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

No way would I get trapped on one of those floating petri dishes of death .  I had to go to the store yesterday.  Walked through the door and there is an Asian family all wearing rubber gloves and masks. I turned around and walked out.  Have to wonder what the hell that was about .

I would have done the same.  I've noticed the Chinese takeout places near me are hurting. Never a car in the lot.  New Asian restaurant opened few months ago.  Place was always packed.  Not any more. 

8 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

When one has a wife and kids it's not all about yourself and your own interests.  

Like others have said, cruise ships are famous for spreading virus' amongst passengers, so right now may not be a good time to go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steve863 said:

When one has a wife and kids it's not all about yourself and your own interests.  

Like others have said, cruise ships are famous for spreading virus' amongst passengers, so right now may not be a good time to go.

You're exactly right ,Larry's wife should be going on the hunt with him ! 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My late Girlfriend Patti ordered Chinese Food at a Takeout in Greenwood Lake about 4 Summers ago and saw a worker Sweating Bullets over those Huge Stainless Woks! No air conditioning and his Sweat was dripping in the Fried Rice! She walked out..

:bad:

• Like 1

Larry, I have been on one of the big ship cruises, and last year we did a 1200 mile 2 week drive around in Alaska.  You can’t go wrong with either one!   I would not be overly concerned with the CoronaVirus on the cruise ship.  Just use your usual precautions while traveling. 

The cruise ships, small and large are the best way to see the Inner Passage.  They usually include about half the time on land, Anchorage and up to Denali, then back down to the shore to get on the ship for the Inner passage tour.

Last year, we did a land tour with another couple that started in Anchorage and went to Homer, Seward, Valdez, and then all the way up to Denali.  We had reservations at each location, as well as pre-planned activities, but had lots of time on our own to do other things too.  Contact me if you are interested in this trip, we had a great Alaskan based travel agent that planned out the whole trip. She was wonderful to work with!  I’ll even mail you our travel books and itinerary, because I would do this trip AGAIN tomorrow if I could!!!! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My late Girlfriend Patti ordered Chinese Food at a Takeout in Greenwood Lake about 4 Summers ago and saw a worker Sweating Bullets over those Huge Stainless Woks! No air conditioning and his Sweat was dripping in the Fried Rice! She walked out..

2020-02-16_090614.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

If you think there aren't nasty things going on in a good percentage of restaurants of any ethnic persuasion I've got some news for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Larry, just get the cancel for any reason insurance and book it. The insurance is usually pretty cheap compared to the cost of the trip. If the outbreak gets worse as time goes on and your not comfortable going anymore then just cancel it and your not out a lot of money. Alaska is very popular destination right now.

My wife is a travel agent for AAA out of the orchard park office on milestrip. I can send you her info if your interested in going through a travel agent.

• Thanks 2