Would You Go On A Cruise This Summer?

Lawdwaz

Last year upon retirement, a colleague and his wife went on an Alaskan cruise and he loved it! The pictures he shared with me were spectacular. And he highly recommended doing it for my wife and I.

But with this Corona virus, all it would take is to have one person on board come down with it. And the whole ship would be quarantined for a least two weeks. Not a great way to spend a vacation.

I'd love to go up to Alaska some day. But I think I'd rather take a bunch of time and drive up through Canada. Or fly up and drive from from there.

This is the cruise I want to go on, https://www.shiprocked.com

Just keep your hands clean as much as possible, I think you have more of a chance catching something locally like the Flu, last August my wife caught Salmonella poisoning we thinks got it from the river water behind our house, she spent a week in the hospital. Three years ago I caught legionaries disease, those were both life threatening. Buy the insurance and go enjoy yourself

Some years back, one of my daughter's boyfriends treated her to a cruise. When a family member tried to convince me that I would enjoy one, my daughter chimed in "If my Dad went on a week long cruise, he would commit suicide by jumping overboard before the week was out". I'll think I'll pass.

Larry, do it .

Some of my best memories are from trips up there , we’re on the downside of life, squeeze in what you can . Not to be a downer , our friends moved to FLA. but kept working for a few years , they finally retired for good and traveled across county for six weeks. Shortly after returning , he dropped dead at 62 .

heres my cruise ship, and deluxe airplane . Couldn’t get the picture of a picture to clear for some reason .

41103DB5-567D-41EE-BE7B-F2B5C227D31C.jpeg

375BA77C-4327-46A1-83C7-A1349BDBAE7F.jpeg

• Like 6

My brother and his wife go a couple times a year, she has learned over the years not to be cheap and get the best rooms they offer. Like balcony and windows. 

They now take all the employees every year and a few of them didn't like it at all. Some said ship smells of piss and mold. 

Others thought it was more of a spring break trip and won't be going again. 

I believe fasteddie went last year on one to Alaska

Just seems like these cruise ship are in the news constantly for all the wrong reasons, probably the percentages are low that these mishaps occur but it does turn me off personally plus I get sea sick.

If I had the time and money the Trans Canada railway roundtrip across country from Toronto to Vancouver sounds like it is a real winner for scenery and wildlife, it would be something I would enjoy.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Back in NY after living in Alaska for the past 5 years.

If it was not for the screwed up eye surgery I had there that removed my lens when I never had a cataract in my life, and fear of not seeing my family (3 year old grandson) again if I totally lost my vision, I would still be there. I just couldn't risk it after the wrong surgery, the subsequent post surgical ruptured retina, and threat that my other eye could rupture too! 

I love Alaska and feel more Alaskan than I ever felt being a New Yorker. 

I pray in time I will go back home, to Alaska!

I think everyone should get a chance to "see" it!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

What kinda pricing are we talking about here?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Selous hunt in October this year.

Fly into Dar es Salaam(JFK to Dar about $800 via Emirates thru Dubai)

Outfitter offering 2 buffalo on a 10 day licence(8 days hunting) for $17,500 all inclusive except airfare/dip and pack/tips.

But he's willing to split quota for 2 hunters/1 PH for just cost of 2nd licence......so less than $10K each for East Africa hunt.

Limited plains game; focus on bulls over 40" with mid 40's possible.(that's VERY good).

Need a 375hh legal minimum

• Like 3

Outfitter offering 2 buffalo on a 10 day licence(8 days hunting) for $17,500 all inclusive except airfare/dip and pack/tips.
But he's willing to split quota for 2 hunters/1 PH for just cost of 2nd licence......so less than $10K each for East Africa hunt.
Limited plains game; focus on bulls over 40" with mid 40's possible.(that's VERY good).

Wow. That’s a great deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

Larry, do it .

Some of my best memories are from trips up there , we’re on the downside of life, squeeze in what you can . Not to be a downer , our friends moved to FLA. but kept working for a few years , they finally retired for good and traveled across county for six weeks. Shortly after returning , he dropped dead at 62 .

heres my cruise ship, and deluxe airplane . Couldn’t get the picture of a picture to clear for some reason .

41103DB5-567D-41EE-BE7B-F2B5C227D31C.jpeg

375BA77C-4327-46A1-83C7-A1349BDBAE7F.jpeg

No way you are skipping out without more details on this trip dude! :)

• Like 3

Back in NY after living in Alaska for the past 5 years.

If it was not for the screwed up eye surgery I had there that removed my lens when I never had a cataract in my life, and fear of not seeing my family (3 year old grandson) again if I totally lost my vision, I would still be there. I just couldn't risk it after the wrong surgery, the subsequent post surgical ruptured retina, and threat that my other eye could rupture too! 
I love Alaska and feel more Alaskan than I ever felt being a New Yorker. 
I pray in time I will go back home, to Alaska!
I think everyone should get a chance to "see" it!

That sucks about the eyes.

Where did you live up there? I have always wanted to go to Alaska.

I hate traveling.  I did the Alaska cruise probably 8 years ago. It was awesome. Like I said I really hate traveling especially flying , but that trip was definitely worth it. The only bad part is you only see a fraction of Alaska by cruise boat. You almost need to add a week and do the land cruise part. We didnt see a ton of land animals, but plenty of whales,eagles, puffin,  seals, etc. 

12 hours ago, Otto said:

Larry, I have been on one of the big ship cruises, and last year we did a 1200 mile 2 week drive around in Alaska.  You can’t go wrong with either one!   I would not be overly concerned with the CoronaVirus on the cruise ship.  Just use your usual precautions while traveling. 

The cruise ships, small and large are the best way to see the Inner Passage.  They usually include about half the time on land, Anchorage and up to Denali, then back down to the shore to get on the ship for the Inner passage tour.

Last year, we did a land tour with another couple that started in Anchorage and went to Homer, Seward, Valdez, and then all the way up to Denali.  We had reservations at each location, as well as pre-planned activities, but had lots of time on our own to do other things too.  Contact me if you are interested in this trip, we had a great Alaskan based travel agent that planned out the whole trip. She was wonderful to work with!  I’ll even mail you our travel books and itinerary, because I would do this trip AGAIN tomorrow if I could!!!! 

A group GTG/hunting trip to Alaska? That's a great idea!

My wife and I did an Alaska inner passage cruise several years ago. It's our favorite cruise by far. Unfortunately, did the round trip out of SEA, so didn't get to go as high as the one-way cruises. We don't want to do it again as it could never be as memorable as the first time. Instead, two weeks ago, we booked a South American cruise in and out of Buenos Aires for January 2021. It goes down to some glaciers in Antarctica and back. By no means committed to doing it yet. Will have to see how things go.

That's an insane deal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

That's an insane deal!

I wasn't kidding when I haven't seen this kind of number in 20 years back when I started booking hunts.

The add ons in Tanzania like $4000 charters have always kept me away. This is a drive into camp hunt after a commercial, in country, puddle jumper.

And cheaper than a South African buffalo ranch hunt on 2 areas totaling 1.2 MILLION acres; about 2x the size of Dutchess county. 

2019 46" bull

Buffalo02.jpg

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

Good luck, I have had quite a few good deals lined up for hunts and once you ask for the money you get a bunch of excuses and crickets. 

But its still a great idea!

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

My wife and I did an Alaska inner passage cruise several years ago. It's our favorite cruise by far. Unfortunately, did the round trip out of SEA, so didn't get to go as high as the one-way cruises. We don't want to do it again as it could never be as memorable as the first time. Instead, two weeks ago, we booked a South American cruise in and out of Buenos Aires for January 2021. It goes down to some glaciers in Antarctica and back. By no means committed to doing it yet. Will have to see how things go.

Blacktail Bucks! I think certain parts are 3 bucks per person! Reasonably priced since it’s one of the few species you are allowed to hunt in Alaska without a guide

• Like 1

Hard call. If they have a deposit in, might be best to just see what happens with the Corona virus, it may be a non-issue by the summer, maybe they could schedule for a later date. If I didn't have a deposit in, I'd just wait another year.

I did the Alaska cruise with my wife 2 years ago. No regrets, the food was very good, always something to do to stay busy, and the landscape was amazing. Most of the day trips were complete tourist traps. If I ever go again I'd either go somewhere more off the beaten path, or better yet plan my own trip centered around fishing, but doubt the wife would have much interest in that.

• Like 1