Would You Go On A Cruise This Summer?

Lawdwaz

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If I go to Alaska it’s to hunt something. No way I travel that far to the Mecca or hunting and not hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much awesome things to see that you wouldn't experience on a hunt . The ride into Denali Park was long and spectacular . We rode the bus half the time and stayed in different towns . The heliocopter to a glacier and drinking water up there was neat . Visited two different places where they raced dogs to run the Iderod . Rode a raft through an area and saw dozens of eagles . So many choices of food on the ship and made friends with some New Zelanders . I don't care to travel but this trip with site seeing was a great experience . 

The only thing I shot was pictures with my camera . 

• Like 3

Too much awesome things to see that you wouldn't experience on a hunt . The ride into Denali Park was long and spectacular . We rode the bus half the time and stayed in different towns . The heliocopter to a glacier and drinking water up there was neat . Visited two different places where they raced dogs to run the Iderod . Rode a raft through an area and saw dozens of eagles . So many choices of food on the ship and made friends with some New Zelanders . I don't care to travel but this trip with site seeing was a great experience . 

The only thing I shot was pictures with my camera . 

Just drop me off on Kodiak Island to hunt lol. If I want a non-hunting vacation, it’s in the Caribbean on the beach

On 2/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, steve863 said:

If you think there aren't nasty things going on in a good percentage of restaurants of any ethnic persuasion I've got some news for you.

Like basically any restaurants where the kitchen is in the back and they know for a fact you can't see what they do.

• Like 2

To the OP.  I'd probably hold off.  You don't know which direction this virus is going to go and odds are insurance won't cover it if you cancel.  Unless the cruise company grounds the ship themselves, I don't think insurance companies will allow you a "I just don't think it's safe" claim.

• Thanks 1

That’s why I only ever eat in the actual kitchen at chef’s table

Lest you not forget that is only when I allow it as that table is reserved only for me and the chef and my associates when I allow

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just drop me off on Kodiak Island to hunt lol. If I want a non-hunting vacation, it’s in the Caribbean on the beach

Your dream vacations have been temporarily suspended for the next 18 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 8:13 AM, blackbeltbill said:

My late Girlfriend Patti ordered Chinese Food at a Takeout in Greenwood Lake about 4 Summers ago and saw a worker Sweating Bullets over those Huge Stainless Woks! No air conditioning and his Sweat was dripping in the Fried Rice! She walked out..

If you think that doesnt happen in just about every restaurant, youre kidding yourself. A buddy of mine owns a fire supresion system company, and I have done some of the installs with him in the past. I stopped because the number of "nopes" in my "will i eat there" list was becoming too long.

As far as cruises go, I would probably hold off a bit. Once the Corona virus ordeal is over with, the cruise lines will be begging people to book with them and deals should be great.

I have been on cruises before, the best part about them, to me at least, is getting to see a bunch of different places on one trip. If you find somewhere that you really like, you can book a full vacation to that location. I have a couple of trips to places in mind from visiting them on cruise excursions. Until I was talked into actually going on a cruise, I was one of those "no friggin way" people.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, Elmo said:

To the OP.  I'd probably hold off.  You don't know which direction this virus is going to go and odds are insurance won't cover it if you cancel.  Unless the cruise company grounds the ship themselves, I don't think insurance companies will allow you a "I just don't think it's safe" claim.

As far as I remember you can get insurance for trips that allow you to cancel for any reason. Now I am not sure if in order to get this you have to go through a travel agent or not but I know it's out there. My sister in law just canceled a trip less than a year ago because her husband changed jobs and could no longer get the time off. They knew this was a possibility so they had the insurance, canceled their trip and all they where out was the insurance money. 

Go. You can't control everything with respect to health or life.

I was never a cruise fan either - came across to me as a cattle drive to mass market tourism. Then I went on one and realized I can still drive my own experience within reason. All of my cruises in adulthood have been to the Caribbean. Definitely had some fun times...waterfall climbing and jumping in Jamaica and the DR, the window cave in PR, snorkeling in private bays in STT and STJ. Getting some drinks with friends and family with no outside influence on our time and enjoyment (no work to do, do meeting to attend, etc.). 

Time is invaluable, and so are the experiences you spend that time on.

• Like 4

As mentioned travel insurance. I never buy this, but I would seriously consider it if I were you for this specific purpose. Read the fine print of course.   If no insurance and Corona is running rampant when its time to cast the lines off, you can always stay ashore.  Yes it sucks losing your cash but choose this option knowing you may lose it. You could also plan that the ship may be stuck somewhere for a few weeks and tack that onto your "vacation" time.  You could also try and speak to whomever you book through and ask about this exact scenario. Can they offer a credit for later cruise? Cant hurt to ask.

I'm not sure I would let hysteria dictate my actions like some are.  Long ways to go to even match the numbers of a normal flu year. Even if the numbers are under reported, which I myself think they are.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:24 PM, Fletch said:

That sucks about the eyes.

Where did you live up there? I have always wanted to go to Alaska.

Yes it does!

We live(d) in Soldotna, on the Kenai Peninsula. Technically speaking we still do live there. I still have my house in Alaska. We decided to return for medical and family reasons as I said, but not sure we can cut it here again in New York. 

Old timers told me once you have lived in Alaska for 4 or 5 years it is almost impossible to readjust to life I the Lower 48. They are all betting I return! 

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Your dream vacations have been temporarily suspended for the next 18 years.

Na, you just gotta marry the right woman . We didn’t go on a honeymoon because I used all my vacation time , on a canoe trip In the Yukon . Went on a few hunting trips while she “ watched “ the kids at home .

the wife and I went away early on, my Mom potty trained our first daughter while we were in Cancun , thanks Mom !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

As mentioned travel insurance. I never buy this, but I would seriously consider it if I were you for this specific purpose. Read the fine print of course.   If no insurance and Corona is running rampant when its time to cast the lines off, you can always stay ashore.  Yes it sucks losing your cash but choose this option knowing you may lose it. You could also plan that the ship may be stuck somewhere for a few weeks and tack that onto your "vacation" time.  You could also try and speak to whomever you book through and ask about this exact scenario. Can they offer a credit for later cruise? Cant hurt to ask.

I'm not sure I would let hysteria dictate my actions like some are.  Long ways to go to even match the numbers of a normal flu year. Even if the numbers are under reported, which I myself think they are.

Travel insurance is a must on a cruise. If you get sick or injured, you are going to rack up enormous medical bills, and your regular health insurance wont pick up the tab. Ever see the bill for being airlifted off of a ship at sea?

One cruise that I went on with my sons mom, her mother went, got drunk and fell asleep on a deck chair. Sun poisoning. I had to loan her close to $5k to cover the bills she had, and they werent going to let her off of the ship until they were paid.