blackbeltbill

Do You Leave A " Note" Before Leaving To Hunt?

Myself, I always leave a Note about where, I will be Parking + Hunting so my Sister can find it  just in case.. You get up to your late 40s and you start to Realize that you won't be here Forever. You start to think about Heart Health more and natural ways to reduce the Plaque in your Arteries. That is why, I changed my workout routine. No more Super Heavy weights- just light to medium Dumbells + Bodyweight exercises. If, I got thrown in Prison today, I would train without losing a Beat-- but, I digress.                                           What made me think about leaving a Note was the Hunt around 15 years ago . I was walking the NY/NJ LINE. Just following the signs when, I stepped on a Big Flat Rock that was not uniform underneath it. It moved and, I came crashing down with my left Forearm on a Boulder. My shotgun( in that hand) went flying. I felt my " Ulna" bend. Why it did not break is anyone's guess. Maybe the gallon of Milk, I used to drink each day to bulk up. The Ulna is the smaller bone- in your forearm on the " Pinky " side. Point being-- it could have been my head.  I don't think, I would have been found for some time...                                                          That is why, I leave a Note- because, I usually hunt alone. At least people looking for you have a starting point if you write where you are going to park. A number of famous Turkey hunters have had heart attacks after killing their last Gobbler. The Sport is super exciting! Author Dave Harbour died at age 68 alongside his last Spring Tom. I believe Inman Turpin did as well at around the same age. I don't think it was his Brother-in-law Tom. So-- do you leave a Note??

• Like 3

No note but wife , daughter, friends know what stand or properly I’ll be on.  My check ins on live from the woods thread will also confirm 

• Thanks 1

There are almost always other people at our club to hunt with. We have a big white board that when you go out you put your name and stand your headed to this way if someone shows up after you are already in the woods they know where you are and can get a hold of you if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wife has screen shot of land with stands numbered, she knows which I’ll be in . I call at the beginning  of drive home , although the drive may very well be the most dangerous part .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

If I'm at camp alone I let my neighbor know what I'm up to. Especially hunting, checking stands and cutting wood. 

• Like 1

"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Typically im posting in live from woods as TF said.grandma is usually up when i get to the property so she normally knows my where abouts. typically call dad on my walk back to house to let em know how the hunt went.

• Like 1

Just shoot my wife a text on piece im going to be at and name of stand.  So if something happeneds she can call my one hunting partner that knows all my spots.  And always call when im leaving parking spots.

• Like 1

Wife gets a text...live from the woods gets a post...if hunting “the program” I need to peg in on a map at a trail head and call in and out when hunting the properties.
Buddy’s prop in Columbia county has bad service which is unsettling since I am so used to “being connected”

• Like 1

Never have, probably should. There’s times at camp when I go a week or two without taking to anyone and it’s nothing for me to drive a hundred or miles from camp. If something ever happened I’d be dead way before I was found.

• Like 1

Over many, many years of running and gunning for turkeys, I never knew MYSELF where I would be hunting when I left the house before daylight.. 

Now that I'll be turning 70 in a month, I've become a lot more aware of my  mortality...I also hunt differently for both turkeys and deer, usually from the same binds and stands, so I can let The Mermaid know where I'll be hunting... I  also carry my cell phone while hunting and fishing now, especially after my little incident during deer season a year ago..

• Like 1

Wife and my Dad always know what property I’ll be on. I usually text updates throughout the day or at least when I get to car to head home

• Like 1

Great post Bill.   It’s a great reminder to always let someone know where you will be.  I always send someone a text before heading out.  Even if they dont know where the land is they know the name/location. 

• Thanks 1

People know when I am going.

I have to text when I am getting in tree stand and when I am getting down. 

• Like 1

I always tell my hunting buddy so that he knows where to come out to help me drag!  

I always let the GF know and always tell a hunting buddy or landowner I am there. They know if I don't come out and haven't sent them a message that I am dragging one to come look for me. 

• Like 1

I never do, but I always tell my parents where ill be before i go. The only place my father doesnt know where to get me is the public lands ill hunt on the Island 

• Like 1

My wife always remind me so I text her location.

I forgot whether it's Stormy or Bill who can instantly guess where we're at based on a couple of blades of grass in the background of a Live In The Woods picture posting.

NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

My wife always remind me so I text her location.

I forgot whether it's Stormy or Bill who can instantly guess where we're at based on a couple of blades of grass in the background of a Live In The Woods picture posting.

Storm!

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Storm!

Well, if you go missing I just need to find Storm.  He'll either know where you are based on your last posting or you're hog-tied in his basement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

someone always knows where i am. i don't divulge where specifically just the property. too many are up my ass trying to find out where i'm hunting potentially patterned deer or otherwise good spots.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

No, because if someone abducts my wife she'll squeal. Can't take the risk!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I tell my wife where I will be hunting whether I will be with someone or hunting alone . When I hunt at my SIL's property I let her know where I will be and call her when I leave the property . I keep in touch with the cell phone . 

• Like 1

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

No I do not. I could say I am gonna be somewhere and change my mind on the drive to a piece of property or while on a piece of property decide other side of it is better. I am never dead set on where I will be till I get there.

• Thanks 1