How to properly season a cast iron pan

Bionic

Try an antique shop with old cabin decor, if you want old school.  Otherwise, try a Lodge brand pan.  

Etsy.com, Ebay, yard sales...
Going to probably try yard sales and maybe thrift stores. The ones by me usually have great stuff since a lot of it comes from wealthy old people that passed away. I figure spring time people will likely be looking to get rid of stuff. I wonder if a scrap yard might be a good spot to look where people were just scrapping the iron

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Going to probably try yard sales and maybe thrift stores. The ones by me usually have great stuff since a lot of it comes from wealthy old people that passed away. I figure spring time people will likely be looking to get rid of stuff. I wonder if a scrap yard might be a good spot to look where people were just scrapping the iron

Yeah, why not? You just never know.  Good luck with your search, let us know how it goes, when you get around to it.

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Cast iron isn't really worth much to a scrap yard. 

Just go to the Blackstone website (the new propane flattops that are all over) and follow the same process they recommend.  Basically use a high smoke point oil (flax seed) put a thin coat on, heat on high for 15 minutes, add another coat of oil and keep heating.  Repeat these steps and it will turn a nice dark color and be seasoned.

15 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

So then thrift stores, antique stores, estate sales may be my best bet then

We have a lodge brand ,if you get sick of looking or want one to hold you over give it a shot . 

• Like 1

We have a lodge brand ,if you get sick of looking or want one to hold you over give it a shot . 
We were thinking about adding the lodge to the registry I think we already did. Lodge makes an excellent cast iron pan. Figured could be fun trying to find a really old one. Though I doubt I'd even notice any difference. Maybe I'm better off sticking with lodge and then if an old one pops up then I just have multiple

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Are the old ones that much different from the Lodge ones you can buy at Walmart and Cabelas?

Thinner, lighter and polished to a smooth surface. They're quicker to heat up and therefore cool down quickly as well.

As much as this matters, they seem more elegant.

Caution to those hoping to find one at a flea market or yard sale - the word is out and you will pay a premium.

• Like 2

Thinner, lighter and polished to a smooth surface. They're quicker to heat up and therefore cool down quickly as well.
As much as this matters, they seem more elegant.
Caution to those hoping to find one at a flea market or yard sale - the word is out and you will pay a premium.
I wonder if one could take a modern cast iron skillet and polish the bottom similarly to the old style ones

Wound up getting this one off eBay for just under 62 shipped to my door. Figured it could at the very least give me a great side project. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193291907750 anyone have any idea as to age? Plan on taking more pics as I get it

6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Wound up getting this one off eBay for just under 62 shipped to my door. Figured it could at the very least give me a great side project. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193291907750 anyone have any idea as to age? Plan on taking more pics as I get it

$62? you could have bought brand new for $10

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Otto that is very interesting. Have you done this? Or has anyone on here? It makes sense and looks easy enough to do. 

No,  have my grandmothers old ones, smooth as a babies bottom.    But it looks like it would work.

I have a lodge grill pan with raised ridges inside it, so it has limited use. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That company hasn't existed in over 60 years Sir

I'm not understanding. You'd rather pay 6x the price to cook with a pan that has been god knows where? who can taste the difference between cast iron pans? If their pans were so good, why are they out of business?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

55 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Good choice. Looks to be in pretty good shape. I have a No. 8 and a No. 10 Griswold that were my great grandmothers. Both from the early 1900's. Use them all the time. They are great pans. I also have a Lodge I bought about 10 years ago. I like the Griswolds better.

Edited by MPHunter

Good choice. Looks to be in pretty good shape. I have a No. 8 and a No. 10 Griswold that were my great grandmothers. Both from the early 1900's. Use them all the time. They are great pans. I also have a Lodge I bought about 10 years ago. I like the Griswolds better.
My dad uses his grandmother's #8 Griswold all the time. I think I'd have an easier time winning the lotto than prying it from his grip. God only knows how old that one is. Still gonna keep the Lodge's on my registry. Figure can never go wrong with multiples. More than anything this one should make a nice project to keep me busy