Wolc.......

Lawdwaz

4 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I was making lunch today and the wife had a cookbook open for tonight’s dinner, a sauerbraten stew.  On the page next to it a recipe caught my eye and I thought of you.....

image.jpg

I have killed a couple porcupines, including one up in Quebec about 30 years ago, while I was on a moose/bear hunt,  and one last October up in the Adirondacks.  They were both big, but I did not check to see if they had balls.    I see that recipe is not about that kind of "balls" though.   The rice must stick out of the ground beef "meatballs" and resemble the quills of a porcupine.   

The secret ingredient, to make the "real" balls of any species taste similar to sea oysters, is lots of black pepper.    

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have killed a couple porcupines, including one up in Quebec about 30 years ago, while I was on a moose/bear hunt,  and one last October up in the Adirondacks.  They were both big, but I did not check to see if they had balls.    I see that recipe is not about that kind of "balls" though.   The rice must stick out of the ground beef "meatballs" and resemble the quills of a porcupine.   

The secret ingredient, to make the "real" balls of any species taste similar to sea oysters, is lots of black pepper.    

I know it wasn't really a testicle recipe, but thought you'd still get a kick out of it. :)

1 minute ago, blackbeltbill said:

Wait a Minute-- Buck Balls taste likeSea Oysters with Black Pepper added? I have never eaten Oysters yet and now, I think, I will probably take a pass if offered any Oysters.

Very much so.  I always wondered why they called those from cattle "Rocky mountain oysters", until I gave them a try, with lots of pepper.   I learned that trick from Steve Rinella from the "Meateater" video series on Netflicks.  He cooks up some from antelope in one episode and mule deer in another.  Both times, he used butter and "lots of pepper" when frying them up.   The pepper is definitely the key (I used olive oil instead of butter).    What keeps most folks from giving them a try, is a lack of the primary ingredient.   If you ever get a pair yourself, and decide to try them, don't forget to slit thru the outer membrane first, or they will "explode" in the frying pan.

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I know it wasn't really a testicle recipe, but thought you'd still get a kick out of it. :)

No problem,  oddly enough, my wife just mentioned that she would like to try a new meatball recipe (we have an abundance of ground venison in the freezer).   Maybe she can give that "porcupine" one a try.       

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I had Rocky Mountain oysters in Co a few years back::::similar texture to tripe(stomach). I passed on a vasted (spleen) sandwich today while in Brooklyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spleen sandwich is a Sicilian specialty. I tried it when I was in Palermo last year.

IMG_20191001_125132.thumb.jpg.50a6d917463dd88af3ab85ded2761f61.jpg

This was the big pot it was made in:

MVIMG_20191001_124203.thumb.jpg.d94c7d804d046a5a39ffa3c9a036c43b.jpg

This was my ride on part of the food tour:

IMG_20191001_122905.thumb.jpg.ea12c0c8730e7a7aeffb2736f6d644ba.jpg

• Like 4

The spleen sandwich is a Sicilian specialty. I tried it when I was in Palermo last year.
IMG_20191001_125132.thumb.jpg.50a6d917463dd88af3ab85ded2761f61.jpg
This was the big pot it was made in:
MVIMG_20191001_124203.thumb.jpg.d94c7d804d046a5a39ffa3c9a036c43b.jpg
This was my ride on part of the food tour:
IMG_20191001_122905.thumb.jpg.ea12c0c8730e7a7aeffb2736f6d644ba.jpg

A lot of REAL Italians have never heard of panelles- it’s really just a street food more or less specific to Sicilian regions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Wait a Minute-- Buck Balls taste likeSea Oysters with Black Pepper added? I have never eaten Oysters yet and now, I think, I will probably take a pass if offered any Oysters.

Oysters are very good raw with some hot cocktail sauce. I don't have the nuts to try ballz. Something inherently wrong with that in my mind. OMG ballz in cocktail sauce. Sounds like something that democrat would love....what's his name...Buttplug??

• Haha 1