new muzzleloader soon (I hope)

bugsNbows

Looking at picking up my first traditional muzzleloader... probably percussion. No interest what-so-ever in the newer in-line types. I have checked out Traditions (seemed kind of cheesy), Lyman (used to be well regarded but perhaps QC issues as of late), and Pedersoli. The Peds are nice, albeit heavy and rather expensive for production guns. If I'm gonna be pushing that kind of money, I might just have one built. I've been having a discussion with John Bergmann and W.B.Selb regarding a build. Big $ though. Too many decisions, too little time! Anybody have any words of wisdom?

If you are patient you can find some pretty nice Thompson Center items on ebay either a complete rifle or build one out of new parts or like new parts

I put together a beautiful 45 cal Hawken a few years ago by purchasing a used stock which I refinished and put new furniture on and then found a brand new Green Mountain direct fit stainless barrel in 45 cal. She shoots like a dream.

A word about Traditions, I bought the 32 cal Crockett Squirrel rifle a couple of years ago and the fit and finish is outstanding, I am more than happy with it and it shoots very well too.

Al

2020-02-19_142342.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Update. I have not purchased anything yet. I was looking hard at the Lyman GPR, but recent build / quality issues have me wondering. I have also read that Pedersoli is going to start making it for Lyman (instead of the current manufacturer). That may yield a better product. I have also decided to wait out this Corona virus crap before proceeding. 

Check for a good deal on gunbroker.com.  You will find plenty of traditional muzzle loaders on there.  I still use my old T/C Hawken .45 caliber for deer.  It's very good quality and I built it from a kit.  I've been hunting it for almost 40 years and never had a problem.

• Like 1

Cva makes a great line up of traditional including kits you can control the fit and finish ,bonus it's great to take a deer with a gun you built.  I have to, cva, Lyman, are all good guns. Cabellas also has their own guns I've looked at over the years.including kit guns.