Maine Moose

hunter

26 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I thought it was 1 point per year like other states/species. so I was wondering how he got to 90pts.

You can buy extra chances each yr.  Also the longer you apply the more points you get.  I believe after 15 yrs of applying and not getting selected, you get 10 points per year.  He now has 100 points. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trial153 said:

They ruined the draw for NR when they allowed you to unlimited chances. I think I have 17 years in so far.

I believe my cousin has the same.   He has 100 points for next yr.  

His wife was selected last year with 60 points. He was the alternate hunter and successfully killed a 42" bull last yr.  

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, Otto said:

When is the ideal time to go?  Late October? 

seems like the rut starts in the first open week and is ending the last week from what ive read.  That less calling in the last week cause its more about food then.  Plus the most areas are open that mid october week so would think then is prob the best.  

3 hours ago, Otto said:

Thanks, I picked October 11-16, WMU 8 for first choice, and no preference for remaining units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In the future if you like 8 the best, then make sure your other top picks are 1-6.  They are the best areas and they allowing trading in Maine and you could easily trade those for 8.  1-4 is basically like 90% tag fills.   

I only picked 8 because it is my "lucky #".   But I was reading on OMM Outfitters website that you can trade tags in one zone to another and also trade cow tag for bull tags with an upcharge.  

• Like 1

Picking only one zone limits your chances. I read in the description to be careful of the southern zones as there was not a lot of public land to hunt. So that would suck to get drawn and not have any land available to hunt. The north area has a lot of public land available. The Great North Woods does charge a fee but it's reasonable considering we're moose hunting. Good luck to all of you.

1 hour ago, hunter said:

Picking only one zone limits your chances. I read in the description to be careful of the southern zones as there was not a lot of public land to hunt. So that would suck to get drawn and not have any land available to hunt. The north area has a lot of public land available. The Great North Woods does charge a fee but it's reasonable considering we're moose hunting. Good luck to all of you.

I picked ten. any time, any weapon, either sex. All I want is an adventure and a freezer full of Moose!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hunter said:

I guess I was not clear on how it works.  I thought it was pick one zone as your #1 and all other zones are open for you to draw a tag on.  My first time in the drawing.  I wonder if I can change my selections now?  I will go back and check the site.

Just checked my email from the Maine Lottery - this is what I am in for:

Districts: 8

I will accept districts other than those I have chosen: Yes

I am interested in receiving a moose permit for this WMD 4A Adaptive Unit Hunt: No

32 minutes ago, Otto said:

Just checked my email from the Maine Lottery - this is what I am in for:

Districts: 8

I will accept districts other than those I have chosen: Yes

I am interested in receiving a moose permit for this WMD 4A Adaptive Unit Hunt: No

This just means if a #8 unit tag is still open you would get it.  Otherwise it could be anywhere in the state.  

I pick all top 10 units with the best tag fill percentage and put no for the other districts.  Some of them are like 30% success rate.   

I also put in for just the first two seasons as the third one mostly takes place on the southern end of the state. 

And I put in for a cow or bull as I would be good with that . Like Tacks said an adventure and a freezer full of moose! 

Just now, Otto said:

How transferrable are these? If I put my wife in and she wins, could she transfer to me easily - or does it go to the sub-permittee only? 

Pretty sure you can only transfer to someone else that has also won a tag.  And if she won the tag she has to be there but the sub-permittee doesn't have to.  And either one can shoot the moose but the sub permittee has to be with the tag holder if they shoot it.