2019 Biz Buck

BizCT

No offense but I can't believe that one guy does 300 deer in 10 months.  That's one a day every day over this span. This doesn't include form and cape prep and finish work. He also must tan all 300 hides too. Just doesn't add up?

According to his website, he has a helper. I saw so many racks so that’s why I asked him how many. I think he said 312 this year. I’m no expert on taxidermy turnaround, but here’s his website if you want to contact him for info

http://www.kevinstaxidermy.com

Edit - I didn’t notice much African stuff there like I typically see at Fox Studios where I got all my prior stuff done. So maybe he mostly only does Whitetails? I saw 1 mule deer rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just curious...does CT freely allow out-of-state deer to be brought into the state? If I take in anything from outside of NY per state law, it has to be already caped with the skull cap removed. 

Yup. I knew about this from Hunting PA and CT previously. So when I took my buck to the local butcher in Westchester, I had them cape it for me. I brought the skull plate (no brains) and cape to CT, which is the legal way.

Edit - Same with mule deer and antelope

from Wyoming I brought back. It was always skull plate and hide only for The NY taxi to accept it

30 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup. I knew about this from Hunting PA and CT previously. So when I took my buck to the local butcher in Westchester, I had them cape it for me. I brought the skull plate (no brains) and cape to CT, which is the legal way.

Edit - Same with mule deer and antelope

from Wyoming I brought back. It was always skull plate and hide only for The NY taxi to accept it

The DEC site doesn't mention antelope on the prohibited list.

The DEC site doesn't mention antelope on the prohibited list.

Interesting. I never risked it. Maybe the butcher shops in Wyoming just want to cover themselves so they tell everyone that’s the best way to ship them back.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:36 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

No offense but I can't believe that one guy does 300 deer in 10 months.  That's one a day every day over this span. This doesn't include form and cape prep and finish work. He also must tan all 300 hides too. Just doesn't add up?

I took a taxidermy class and my teacher said he can do 3 deer shoulder mounts a day. tans his own hides too. he does 200 - 300 a year too plus fish and everything else. dude was like a machine. I think his nephew helps part time so maybe that explains his productivity. might be the same with this guy

7 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

I took a taxidermy class and my teacher said he can do 3 deer shoulder mounts a day. tans his own hides too. he does 200 - 300 a year too plus fish and everything else. dude was like a machine. I think his nephew helps part time so maybe that explains his productivity. might be the same with this guy

And he’s a teacher too??

Stunning........

42 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

I'd like to see the work he sends home at that rate...

13 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I'd like to see the work he sends home at that rate...

I don't know much about the subject but I've seen some people wait a long time only to get back a mount that looks less than average ,my biggest pet peeve is the eyes ,some guys do this squinty thing with the eyes that make the deer look like it smoked a giant doobie.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I don't know much about the subject but I've seen some people wait a long time only to get back a mount that looks less than average ,my biggest pet peeve is the eyes ,some guys do this squinty thing with the eyes that make the deer look like it smoked a giant 

Biz's mount looks pretty good but I wouldn't be happy with most mounts people get back. After doing the taxidermy thing for the past four years now, I can confidently say that 80% of the hunters out there have no clue about what a deer mount "should" look like.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I don't know much about the subject but I've seen some people wait a long time only to get back a mount that looks less than average ,my biggest pet peeve is the eyes ,some guys do this squinty thing with the eyes that make the deer look like it smoked a giant doobie.

I agree that the eyes are the most important part of the mount. Too many guys these days get hung up on the whiskers, eyelashes, pedestals, leaves, sticks, weird poses, and other nonsense.  If they only put half that effort into getting the eyes right, they would have some happier customers.  I have had several shoulder mounts done, but I am really only completely satisfied with one.    My uncle, who mounted that one (9-point on left) was the taxidermist at the city science museum.  He did a few whitetails on the side, for friends and relatives.  It has been more than 30 years, but I still remember him telling me that "getting the eyes right", was the toughest part.  He has been gone for a while now (rest his soul) and none of the guys I have used since have quite figured it out.  There is a real "knack" for making them look alive.  He had it down, and it looks like Biz's guy does also.    

577659199_9-point10-point.jpeg.b8c8310dd50e87445292d22d906d287f.jpeg

p.s: the little 10 pointer on the right looks like he just finished a fat one.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I agree that the eyes are the most important part of the mount. Too many guys these days get hung up on the whiskers, eyelashes, pedestals, leaves, sticks, weird poses, and other nonsense.  If they only put half that effort into getting the eyes right, they would have some happier customers.  I have had several shoulder mounts done, but I am really only completely satisfied with one.    My uncle, who mounted that one (9-point on left) was the taxidermist at the city science museum.  He did a few whitetails on the side, for friends and relatives.  It has been more than 30 years, but I still remember him telling me that "getting the eyes right", was the toughest part.  He has been gone for a while now (rest his soul) and none of the guys I have used since have quite figured it out.  There is a real "knack" for making them look alive.  He had it down, and it looks like Biz's guy does also.    

577659199_9-point10-point.jpeg.b8c8310dd50e87445292d22d906d287f.jpeg

p.s: the little 10 pointer on the right looks like he just finished a fat one.  

Jim Dorr?