2019 Biz Buck

BizCT

Lakeside Taxidermy is where I get mine done. I also work with the guy. Don puts out some of the best deer mounts I've seen, some look better than they did alive. He's on Instagram if anyone in the CNY area is looking for a great taxidermist.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Lakeside Taxidermy is where I get mine done. I also work with the guy. Don puts out some of the best deer mounts I've seen, some look better than they did alive. He's on Instagram if anyone in the CNY area is looking for a great taxidermist.

Does he do fish too?  

My guy is semi retired and only does a very few deer anymore.  He doesn't do any fish at all now.  Hoping I don't get a big fish to mount but never know, it would have to be a showstopper.  But not sure how much longer he is even gonna do deer.  He is great at both and a real artist. But he's older and been doing them for 45 years. Don't know of any other good places in the area.  So in case he can't do a buck if I get one, might look up your guy.  

• Like 1

Does he do fish too?  
My guy is semi retired and only does a very few deer anymore.  He doesn't do any fish at all now.  Hoping I don't get a big fish to mount but never know, it would have to be a showstopper.  But not sure how much longer he is even gonna do deer.  He is great at both and a real artist. But he's older and been doing them for 45 years. Don't know of any other good places in the area.  So in case he can't do a buck if I get one, might look up your guy.  
Yep, fish, birds, deer and small mammals. He even did a gator this year. He's located in Fulton.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

No offense but I can't believe that one guy does 300 deer in 10 months.  That's one a day every day over this span. This doesn't include form and cape prep and finish work. He also must tan all 300 hides too. Just doesn't add up?

Uncle use to do 350 in 10 months.. working on 2 or 3 at a time like assembly line and had several drying while working on others.. sent hides out for commercial tan.. 

On 2/28/2020 at 8:23 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Biz's mount looks pretty good but I wouldn't be happy with most mounts people get back. After doing the taxidermy thing for the past four years now, I can confidently say that 80% of the hunters out there have no clue about what a deer mount "should" look like.

Having grown up watching my uncle work for almost 50 years and eventually he just specialized in deer and elk. Had lots of hunting celebs send him work . I told taco years ago his 9 pt was a bad mount when he got a 10 pt here he won a mount from a good taxidermist when the 2 were put together he said yep I see what you mean. I do not think he keeps them insane room either for that reason...

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Where the heck do you store the forms and drying heads?? Must need a big space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

His whole basement and garage .forms  he ordered in like 25 at a time.. had like 10 stands that reminded me of motor stands that all had forms and mounts on them in various stages of work or drying..  was always a treat to go  se all the racks hanging from basement and deer racksfrom all over the USA  and canada..  really gave perspective to what a big deer was to me when I was younger.. I remember a few of will primos racks and a few from kirby's distinctly and my uncle telling me they were from canada.. racks with boards taped so. The wouldn't shrink as they were close to b& c.. some in velvet he had  to strip  and use a new method of static electrolysis.  Before he had to put preservatives in it via injections .. crazy things I got to see him do over the years..

I always wanted to get into it but he told me I like to hunt to much to be toad down to take in heads and mount during season.. in hind sight he was correct..I'd rather be out myself..

• Like 1

His whole basement and garage .forms  he ordered in like 25 at a time.. had like 10 stands that reminded me of motor stands that all had forms and mounts on them in various stages of work or drying..  was always a treat to go  se all the racks hanging from basement and deer racksfrom all over the USA  and canada..  really gave perspective to what a big deer was to me when I was younger.. I remember a few of will primos racks and a few from kirby's distinctly and my uncle telling me they were from canada.. racks with boards taped so. The wouldn't shrink as they were close to b& c.. some in velvet he had  to strip  and use a new method of static electrolysis.  Before he had to put preservatives in it via injections .. crazy things I got to see him do over the years..
I always wanted to get into it but he told me I like to hunt to much to be toad down to take in heads and mount during season.. in hind sight he was correct..I'd rather be out myself..

My guy does 25-50 just to fund his hunting trips. If I had an ounce of talent that would be my approach

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My guy does 25-50 just to fund his hunting trips. If I had an ounce of talent that would be my approach

That's my approach...make a little extra money to spend on hunting stuff. I mount one a weekend but find myself doing something taxidermy related every evening after work. It's really cutting into my family time and my own outdoor time so I plan to scale it down next year. 

• Like 2

Where the heck do you store the forms and drying heads?? Must need a big space

Both taxidermists I have used Over the years had very small studios. Under 1,000sqft for sure. I think they work in batches, As the hides come back from Tanning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a taxidermist in tioga count who went by mountain man. Closed shop overnight and alot of people never got back their horns or money.

That happened to me at a place called Sports World in the early 1990’s. It was in Cortlandt Manor. Massive arcade. I had copious amounts of tickets and also tokens for games. One day they closed and I was stuck with all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle use to do 350 in 10 months.. working on 2 or 3 at a time like assembly line and had several drying while working on others.. sent hides out for commercial tan.. 
Not a bad life.....six figure income for 10 months of work.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk