Would you shoot him?

WNY Bowhunter

IM000194.jpg

This guy has been coming out to feed in the cloverfield every evening. For the past two nights he has come in from the right, meaning that he has passed by my stand at less than 10 yds. It's a little after 7:00PM in this photo and he's broadside @ 20 yds....

Just for the fun of it, I was curious as to how many members on here would take the shot and how many would pass? Personally, I will let this guy walk. He's only 2.5, I've watching him grow since late June and he could be a stud next year.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

remember on some of the hunting shows he is a cull only 8pt's just ask lee & tiffiny

On some shows (TX and Mexico high fence) 8-pts are seen as "management bucks", but Lee and Tiffany certainly don't waste their precious Iowa tags on culling out 8-pts, they only shoot fully mature 4.5-5.5+ year old deer. This deer is only 2.5, he was a 4-pt last year...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

I guess you would have to ask what are his chances of being there next year?? If your neighbors are on the same page as you then he most likely would be real nice next year. you may pass on him and he wanders on the next property and someone takes a real nice buck. Many of us havent seen something like that. Just my thoughts................

Mike

I guess you would have to ask what are his chances of being there next year?? If your neighbors are on the same page as you then he most likely would be real nice next year. you may pass on him and he wanders on the next property and someone takes a real nice buck. Many of us havent seen something like that. Just my thoughts................

Mike

That's a chance that you have to be willing to take when you pass a young buck. There is basically no QDM being practiced in my hunting area. This guy may get killed on a neighboring property this fall and he may not. He obviously made it through season last year...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

SImply put- want a big buck? dont shoot a little one......all the truth and insight you need is there. Dead bucks dont grow. His rack was small because he was young.

If you can start to pass bucks like this you will be amazed at how much better your ground gets (of any reasonable size) and the numebr of deer you see. In the mid 90s I wouldve wanted him mounted on the wall- shot a few 2.5s in the early 2000s- now I watch him and his buddies enjoy their adolesecnce- fight, feed frolick and .... and when his old brothers come out I am reassured it is all worthwhile. The area this pic is form is where I hunt and know best....there are lots of does here- there is the meat.......people hide behind excuses and folks who shoot 2.5s do so because they feel they cannot do better. Most areas this si exclusive to a lack of selfcontrol. Just my two cents though...the legality and liberties are in palce for folks to do what theyd like in NY

• Like 1

He would walk on my farm. I dont care what they are if not a mature deer then they waik. To many does to worry about meat. Let one buck go and take two does now.You will thank yourself someday!! If you only hunt state land then i would say take what you can but any private land i say let em grow!!