Cleaning Your Weapons

I just finished cleaning all my rifle's & muzzleloader's

took about 2 1/2 hours, i like to spend at least 20 minutes on each gun.

i try to clean them every few months when sitting in the gun safe.

and within a few days of shooting them.

How often do you clean your weapons?

I clean my guns after each time they are fired. My hunting guns get wiped down after each hunt. I also break them all out 2 other times per year and give them a good going over. When I clean my guns I spend as much time on each as it takes to break each one down completely.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always cleaned them after every use except when on a hunting trip. Then it depends on usage and always a thorough cleaning after the trip.

Just a note on something I determined about 2 years ago.

I had a 25-06 that was an excellent shooter. i always cleaned it the way I was taught as a kid growing up. My step father was a smith but he was more into pistols.

Basically it was run a brush through with Hoppes, then a wet patch with hoppes, then a dry patch a couple of times, then an oil patch folowed by a dry patch to protect from rust.

What I ran into is that my rifle which I would also use to target practice at the range with started to loose its accuraccy. I spent some time trying to figure out what was going on.

Turns out it was copper fouling.

The Hoppes can get copper out but it takes a much longer time to break copper down than I would normally put into the cleaning process.

I did some research and there are some really good products out there that will remove the stuff faster and more thoroughly. I have a couple and boretech eliminator is one that works well.

My rifles accuracy came back.

A lot of hunters only fire a coupel of rounds as the deer season starts up to confirm scope is on and then a few rounds at most at deer and then clean the rifle and put it away until the following season. There are a lot of used rifles out there that are excellent shooters if the copper is fully removed.