Out for a walk

Went out for a walk on a piece of stateland this morning.  Was hoping for some grouse,bunnies or sheds.   It was just good to be out birds chirping listening to the water run.  No luck on anything i was after.  However i did find that the deer seem to be doing really well this year sign is all over.    Couple of pictures of my walk.  

20200223_074514.jpg

20200223_074158.jpg

20200223_071552.jpg

• Like 5

I think last season's deer kill was up a bit, due to good snow during gun season.  Fortunately, the cold and snow petered out after late ML season, and this winter might turn out to be the most mild on record.  That should result in our deer numbers being good again this fall, despite the big kill last fall.    The only ones really getting screwed by this weather pattern (snow during gun & ML season, not much after) are the snowmobilers and skiers.      

I also took a walk in the woods this weekend and like you, saw a lot of deer sign and nothing to aim at.

We scouted some new DEP and State land that we plan on deer hunting this year, so the walk was worth it, even though my brother twisted his knee pretty bad.

I was so tired from hiking in the deep snow, I didn't even think about doing any predator hunting in spots where we saw a lot of fresh coyote tracks around a deer carcass.

Next time, when the snow melts.