Miracle

sbuff

Hard to believe it's been 40 years since the USA won gold . My father in law was a state trooper at the time and was in lake placid for the big game 

One of my favortie movies, on ESPN at 630 tonight .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

One thing I never realized about that tgame vs Russia was that it WAS NOT the gold medal game. They still needed to beat someone(no idea who) after that win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also wasn't live for most people in the US, it was tape delayed.

But I watched it live with my dad on Canadian tv out of Toronto as we had a huge antenna on the house in Buffalo and frequently watched Canadian hockey broadcasts......dad is a hockey nut.

• Like 2

I was trying to think of a bigger upset in sports history...  Is there one?  And please no giants schmucks saying giants over pats in sbl.......  

Balboa over Creed or Trump over Clinton
But In real sports hard to find something close...except the Giants over the Pats but I am not allowed to say that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was trying to think of a bigger upset in sports history...  Is there one?  And please no giants schmucks saying giants over pats in sbl.......  

Not a single game, but Red Sox coming back down 3-0 vs the yanks in the 2004 ALCS. It will never be done again.

But In real sports hard to find something close...except the Giants over the Pats but I am not allowed to say that!

Patriots over Rams was bigger

You enjoy trolling more than[mention=1547]treeguy[/mention]

Wasn’t it 14pts? I think colt/jets super bowl was 16 actually. But I was thinking more recently. Broncos over Packers was massive too. Chiefs over Vikings in super bowl 4 was huge too, I only know from hearing about it in chiefs games

1994 Bryan Kerchal, an amateur, wins the Bassmaster classic.  KVD, RIck Clunn, Denny Brauer etc in the field.  He finished last in 1993 in the same tournament.  He was a short order cook at a ground round in Conn.  Made the classic thru amateur tournaments.  Tragically died in an airplane crash 6 months after winning the classic.  

still not beating the miracle on ice but a big upset.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

Trump was only 3/1....   And really 11 pt underdogs your gonna compare to the greatest assembled talent ever that just beat  the nhl allstars ( gretsky messier etc etc) by 12 goals and got beat by a bunch of kids.......................??

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

But fk it Ill play this game...  Larusso over johnny was bigger upset than balboa over creed.............

53 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wasn’t it 14pts? I think colt/jets super bowl was 16 actually. But I was thinking more recently. Broncos over Packers was massive too. Chiefs over Vikings in super bowl 4 was huge too, I only know from hearing about it in chiefs games

broncos were 14 pt underdogs and I think the jets were actually 18 and pats were 14 pt underdogs to rams also

• Like 1

No typical sporting event will come close to that. It was way more than a game. It was the weight of 2 countries with the entire world watching. Red Sox coming from 3 down is a laughable comparison...

It wasn’t even on TV live!

Safe to say way more people watched the Sox/Yanks game 7 than Olympic hockey. I wasn’t talking about “historic relevance”, simply the “bigger upset” was the question.

Sounds exactly like rising up and defeating the greatest hockey team ever assembled by our mortal enemy on the worlds biggest stage at the height of the Cold War

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

Sounds exactly like rising up and defeating the greatest hockey team ever assembled by our mortal enemy on the worlds biggest stage at the height of the Cold War

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder how many people watched tho? What was tv ratings? I really am curious. Everyone I know who was alive for it, did NOT watch the game. But obviously heard about it

People always say “I remember where I was when X happened”. I never hear people say that about this hockey game. It’s a great story after the fact. But was America really tuned in

That day?

48 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I wonder how many people watched tho? What was tv ratings? I really am curious. Everyone I know who was alive for it, did NOT watch the game. But obviously heard about it

People always say “I remember where I was when X happened”. I never hear people say that about this hockey game. It’s a great story after the fact. But was America really tuned in

That day?

It` was ELECTRIC! Time was taken out at school for recaps each day. . We were all jealous when it was Edmund Soder's turn to post the medals after that victory! I promise you he still thinks about that and it rocketed him into a powerful career. Or maybe he got murdered by crystal meth tweakers you just never know. The Olympics were always a big deal back then