Miracle

sbuff

36 minutes ago, Eric J said:

Buster Douglas beating Tyson!!!!!

Good one... odds wise def... I know i am gonna get killed for this but tyson was way overrated... Only fought bums or hazbins that came out of retirement for payday...  Only great fighter he fought took him out behind the woodshed... twice...........

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Some mathematicians say the odds likely would have been 17 to 1 for that one specific game- USA/Russia. 

I am sure I could find it if i dug enough...  Thought it would be a little higher..  Sometimes it is so high vegas will take it off the board...  I saw some stupid article that had the top 20 highest underdog payouts...  Giants 100/1 in pats first sbl and a ridiculous 1000/1  for usa over russians.....   Fake News....  Giants were only 4/1 cause I bet them money line and getting 11.5 pts so that article is bogus........

13 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

I am sure I could find it if i dug enough...  Thought it would be a little higher..  Sometimes it is so high vegas will take it off the board...  I saw some stupid article that had the top 20 highest underdog payouts...  Giants 100/1 in pats first sbl and a ridiculous 1000/1  for usa over russians.....   Fake News....  Giants were only 4/1 cause I bet them money line and getting 11.5 pts so that article is bogus........

yea exactly. maybe USA was 1,000 / 1 before the games started. But they dominated prior games before the match with russia so they wouldnt be that high for a single game.

One thing for certain- the odds of Red Sox winning 4 games in a row in 2004 ALDS down 3-0 and down by 1 run in the 9th of game 4 are way higher than the single game of russia/usa.

some articles i see Russia may have only been a 4/1 to favorite in that game due to homefield advantage and the prior wins for USA

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

yea exactly. maybe USA was 1,000 / 1 before the games started. But they dominated prior games before the match with russia so they wouldnt be that high for a single game.

One thing for certain- the odds of Red Sox winning 4 games in a row in 2004 ALDS down 3-0 and down by 1 run in the 9th of game 4 are way higher than the single game of russia/usa.

some articles i see Russia may have only been a 4/1 to favorite in that game due to homefield advantage and the prior wins for USA

USA 4/1 against russia................  You do realize russia did not lose a game in like 8 years........ You do realize that russias worse player was 10x better than usa s best player......   Not even possible

7 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

USA 4/1 against russia................  You do realize russia did not lose a game in like 8 years........ You do realize that russias worse player was 10x better than usa s best player......   Not even possible

Things Were Different Entering The Tournament Than Entering That Game…

A Monte Carlo simulation run by Carlton Chin and Jay Granat in 2010 gave the U.S. 1,000-1 odds to win Gold entering the tournament.

But they say those odds should probably have been closer to 17-1 based on what we ended up seeing through the first five games from the Americans.

The U.S. was seeded seventh entering the Olympics, but this team had never played together in a real tournament and there was no data on them. So in hindsight, 17-1 feels about right.

Chin and Granat gave the Soviets a 77% chance to win Gold — that translates to -335, and with the juice added to a futures market, let’s put them around -450.

Per the above, -450 is only 4.5/1

I hate to bring this back to light, but how about Appalachian state over Michigan? I remember exactly where I was for that one. Partying in Ocean City, MD that day. Clay Buchholz threw a no-hitter for the red sox the same day!!

I believe michigan was favorite by around 30-35pts for that game!

42 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Things Were Different Entering The Tournament Than Entering That Game…

A Monte Carlo simulation run by Carlton Chin and Jay Granat in 2010 gave the U.S. 1,000-1 odds to win Gold entering the tournament.

But they say those odds should probably have been closer to 17-1 based on what we ended up seeing through the first five games from the Americans.

The U.S. was seeded seventh entering the Olympics, but this team had never played together in a real tournament and there was no data on them. So in hindsight, 17-1 feels about right.

Chin and Granat gave the Soviets a 77% chance to win Gold — that translates to -335, and with the juice added to a futures market, let’s put them around -450.

Per the above, -450 is only 4.5/1

Alls I know is the redwings in game 7 against the sharks in 1994 was almost 9/1 so the russians would have to be much more favorite than that.......  

25 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Alls I know is the redwings in game 7 against the sharks in 1994 was almost 9/1 so the russians would have to be much more favorite than that.......  

9 to 1 in a game 7 after splitting 3 each? how is that possible? injuries?

Surely the odds at halftime for Bills to win down 35-3 was astronomical

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Miracle - so who wins?  Never mind, I should just watch the movie.

Greatest upsets are always in the NCAA hoops tourney - UMBC (16) beats UVA (1).  Odds ?   Guess it was 25-1 so not as big of an upset as my man Buster.

Edited by moog5050

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

9 to 1 in a game 7 after splitting 3 each? how is that possible? injuries?

Surely the odds at halftime for Bills to win down 35-3 was astronomical

Redwings won there games by a total of like 20 goals and sharks won theres in OT... They were expansion team and wings were supposed to breeze to the cup.. I guess they figured they would kill them in game 7 but lost in OT

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Redwings won there games by a total of like 20 goals and sharks won theres in OT... They were expansion team and wings were supposed to breeze to the cup.. I guess they figured they would kill them in game 7 but lost in OT

18-17 Red Wings going into game 6.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

18-17 Red Wings going into game 6.

Playoffs

The Red Wings, having finished 1st in the Western Conference and first in the NHL in scoring, were heavily favored to win in their first-round matchup against the eighth-seeded San Jose Sharks, who were making their first playoff appearance in franchise history. Despite outshooting San Jose 218–153 and outscoring them 27–21 in the series, the Red Wings were upset in seven games for the second consecutive playoff year; in Game 7, played on April 30, 1994, the Sharks edged the Wings 3–2 to advance to the second round.[6][7][8]

Schedule and results

Alls I know is we use to bet alot of hockey and alot of underdog series back then... It was almost vegas was not sure how to do odds and they were very unbalanced... Lotta big upsets back then... one hot goaltender is all you needed..........  

On 2/23/2020 at 3:52 PM, Dinsdale said:

It also wasn't live for most people in the US, it was tape delayed.

But I watched it live with my dad on Canadian tv out of Toronto as we had a huge antenna on the house in Buffalo and frequently watched Canadian hockey broadcasts......dad is a hockey nut.

Yep, we turned the rotary antenna north for Hockey night in Canada...Danny Gallivan/ Foster Hewitt. Wednesday and Saturday nights..classic stuff. Cannot get that theme music out of my head after all these years.