Optic

Chef

So with my 224 build winding down, rest of the parts will be here this week and I should finish by Friday. I’m having a hard time deciding what optic to put on this rifle. It will mostly be used for coyote hunting and some long range plinking mixed in. I have two in mind but I’m not going to throw them out there just yet. I’d like to see what you guys come up with.

Requirements are mil turrets with zero stop, and at least 18x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hog hunter for this one ? If your gonna run at night for yotes, stay away from the mill dots and those reticles with all the junk. If you "long range" with that gun, your not gonna need that crap to get on paper out to 500+. Forget long range perfection as it's not something you can do with something you want to kill dogs at night with. Make it a dog killer, then just have fun shooting out to 1000 yards.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

No hog hunter for this one ? If your gonna run at night for yotes, stay away from the mill dots and those reticles with all the junk. If you "long range" with that gun, your not gonna need that crap to get on paper out to 500+. Forget long range perfection as it's not something you can do with something you want to kill dogs at night with. Make it a dog killer, then just have fun shooting out to 1000 yards.

I disagree with the can't have perfection at long range and a yote killer. Ive done 700 yards with my grendel and yotes and fox. 1000 will happen this year and it took a yote and fox this year. 

Can we get a price range to look at chef?

I disagree with the can't have perfection at long range and a yote killer. Ive done 700 yards with my grendel and yotes and fox. 1000 will happen this year and it took a yote and fox this year. 

Well I’m looking at the nightforce Atacr and the vortex razor gen 2

I'm not gonna disagree at your disagreement, but 700 yards for fun or 700 yards and clover leafing ? Wind checker on hand ? Ballistic calculations before shots ? Wind / elevation change before each shot ?

• Like 1

Just now, Chef said:

Well I’m looking at the nightforce Atacr and the vortex razor gen 2

In that price range id look at kahles too. I have a buddy that does quite well in prs competitions and he switched from nightforce to a kahles. But the ATACR is a hell of a scope that can take a major beating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I'm not gonna disagree at your disagreement, but 700 yards for fun or 700 yards and clover leafing ? Wind checker on hand ? Ballistic calculations before shots ? Wind / elevation change before each shot ?

If you can clover leaf or know someone that can at 700 yards id love to sit down and pick their brain. No wind checker as i go on calmer days, ballistic calculator definitely, and 6mils gets me to 700 yards. Walked it out from 400 to 700, making adjustments every hundred. 

Edited by Gencountyzeek

Before you drop thousands on a scope, I would run it for a while and confirm it’s a gun that warrants it Chef.  You won’t be happy if it’s not well under MOA and you spent that kind of cash on the scope.   Just something to consider.   

That part is true I have a vortex viper I’m going to run on it for a month before I pull the trigger

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

700 yard cloverleaf...............ahhhh, doubtful at best.

Did you see that benchrest record set last week?

BAT action with a Brux barrel...16 lbs...but not a sled gun.

1.068" at 1000 YARDS(!)

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/benchrest-shooter-1000-yard-group/?fbclid=IwAR1iTYIJG5oUnV2Hcw6Bw_0A1JA07uyzantGyhhE2KhrKZg7p3YvG_NuoUQ

I knew a benchrest guy in Long Island and went to Pa with him once.

You could cover his groups at a 1000 with your hand.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Did you see that benchrest record set last week?

BAT action with a Brux barrel...16 lbs...but not a sled gun.

1.068" at 1000 YARDS(!)

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/benchrest-shooter-1000-yard-group/?fbclid=IwAR1iTYIJG5oUnV2Hcw6Bw_0A1JA07uyzantGyhhE2KhrKZg7p3YvG_NuoUQ

I knew a benchrest guy in Long Island and went to Pa with him once.

You could cover his groups at a 1000 with your hand.

Wow!

Chef has got his work cut out for him.......

:)

• Like 1

You may want to check out snipershide.com in thier for sale sections you can fund some really good deals on high end scopes. Also check out the burris xtr ii and the xtr iii that just came out.

It’s funny you say snipers hide, I feel like they used to be on tap talk and aren’t any more I was actually looking there last night from their websight

• Like 1

I'd suggest going to Ilya Koshkin's website Optics Thoughts. As far as high end optics with high magnification at the top end, you're probably looking at Tangent Theta, March Optics and possibly Nightforce. Be prepared to open the wallet though.

Edited by bugsNbows