Trapping legislation

Steuben Jerry

Saw this on a Facebook group. I'm not a trapper (although I'm interested in it), but wanted to share.

I looked up the bill, but not having a trapper's knowledge, all the dimensions of the traps they reference mean nothing to me.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/s7550

Any new restrictions on our outdoor sports can't be good.

IMG_9850.JPG

Not good.

The required timeframe you must check your set within prevents the gnawing ł'm sure this aims to prevent.

This would effectively eliminate a trappers ability to target certain species.

You're not getting a yote in to a "have a heart"...

4 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

Not good.

The required timeframe you must check your set within prevents the gnawing ł'm sure this aims to prevent.

This would effectively eliminate a trappers ability to target certain species.

You're not getting a yote in to a "have a heart"...

and snares are not legal here anyway as an alternative. 

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

looked up the bill, but not having a trapper's knowledge, all the dimensions of the traps they reference mean nothing to me.

As the proposed bill reads it would literally  ban all land trapping in New York. The dimensions given are only in reference to leg hold traps that can be used in water. The bill clearly states:

"AN ACT to amend the  environmental  conservation  law,  in  relation  to
  prohibiting the use of leg-gripping traps"

Body gripping traps are illegal to use on land already. It would limit trapping to live traps only so it would basically eliminate trapping on land all together except:

''Except  as  provided in subdivision 1 or 2 of section 11-0523 with
respect to destructive and menacing wildlife, no person shall (a) set or
use a trap of the leg-gripping type''

6 minutes ago, Eric J said:

Again.... they try to create Laws so people do not have to have Personal Responsibility!!!!   What a Joke... It's a Trappers job to check traps on a regular basis... But Liberal Dem Government takes that out of your hands....

If ppl would exercise some common sense and do the right thing in general, we wouldn't have half the laws currently in the books. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric J said:

Again.... they try to create Laws so people do not have to have Personal Responsibility!!!!   What a Joke... It's a Trappers job to check traps on a regular basis... But Liberal Dem Government takes that out of your hands....

IF You could get every trapper to check their line every 15  minutes they still would be coming to take this away. 

• Like 4