Fixed mag

johnplav

I have a few featureless ARs and a few more that I accidently dropped into Lake Ontario... but I’m gonna bite the bullet on the next build and use a fixed mag.  What is everyone using and why did you choose it?  (I didn’t want to highjack Chef’s glorious thread).

B398346E-F61C-4FD9-8AC6-3748A91E5E3E.jpeg

Depends on how easily you want to be able to convert back to a releasable mag if you choose.  The maglock turned upside down when installed and a dab of epoxy works.  DD ranch needs to be drilled to remove so its a bit more difficult to go back.  If you mean which mag, I tend to use the ASC and Pmags.   What receiver is that? 

I don't care about converting it back, my only reason to undo it would be a damaged mag. 

I just ordered a DD Ranch mag lock and I'v got a bunch of 10 round pmags, so Ill try one of those... I want to see how everything feels before making it "permanent". 

I'v got other setups for hunting and long range shooting, so this will just be a lightweight fun gun with a red dot.

@moog5050 It's a Aero Precision M4E1.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johnplav said:

I don't care about converting it back, my only reason to undo it would be a damaged mag. 

I just ordered a DD Ranch mag lock and I'v got a bunch of 10 round pmags, so Ill try one of those... I want to see how everything feels before making it "permanent". 

I'v got other setups for hunting and long range shooting, so this will just be a lightweight fun gun with a red dot.

@moog5050 It's a Aero Precision M4E1.  

You building a new upper?  What cal?  I just ordered everything for a 204 ruger and Culver is going to help work up a load.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnplav said:

What's the best epoxy to use for the mag lock? (easiest to work with/finished look)

I'v got a few types of jb weld, but if there's something better I'll get it.  Any suggestions @Gencountyzeek?

I cant remember which 3m my buddy uses in his shop. Its a black 2 part epoxy. It settles nice and smooth.

Uses a gun and tube like this.

Screenshot_20200303-163415_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Looks nice John.  You throwing in an accuwedge? 

No, upper and lower fit perfect.  I just don't like the noise the collapsible stock makes.  Ill try to redneck it quiet, if not ill swap it out.

Although thanks for the heads up on the accuwedge, I didn't know about it, and I have another gun I'm gonna try it on. 

9 minutes ago, johnplav said:

No, upper and lower fit perfect.  I just don't like the noise the collapsible stock makes.  Ill try to redneck it quiet, if not ill swap it out.

Although thanks for the heads up on the accuwedge, I didn't know about it, and I have another gun I'm gonna try it on. 

Gotcha - there is another Quigley Ford scope on the gun board!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johnplav said:

That would certainly class up my ugly featureless AR 

https://quigleyford.com/product/long-range-scopes/4-16x50-second-focal-plane-scope/

can upgrade to the 5-20x for the difference in the  MSRP if you are a winner of either.  There has been years that that scope doesn't go during the gun board and I can't figure it out. The optics are stellar. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club