Deerthug

For those who want to skin their own deer for head mount

I found this interesting video on youtube on how to cape and skin your deer to prep the cape for head mounting.

"Leave us the hell alone!" - Ted Nugent (2/4/13)

Proud member of the NRA

Proud of my Eagle Scout

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/jmasiakos/slideshow/Furry%20and%20Feathered%20Friends

that was an awesome video! very interesting

HUNTINGNY MODERATOR

My Best Buck To Date:

130" 14 Pnt.

Mathews Switchback XT 28" draw, 400 grain arrow @

Mathews Monster MR5 27" draw, 400 grain arrow @ 305fps

Just make sure you leave at least from behind the front legs forward. I have to replace at least 10 capes per year that customers have cut way too short, or thier butcher told them it was more than enough...personally, there is no need to cut the body skin from the cape you need for mounting at all, just leave it all one hide and let your taxidermist cut the cape where he wants to.

Even if you cape it out correctly,[usually not the case], the taxidermist still has to turn the lips, eyes, nose, ears, and flesh the hide, so you really aren't saving him any time. It's best to let the guy doing the mount cape it the way he wants...unless you are in a remote location and you do what you have to do...

^^ thats what i did when my cousin mounted my buck. i gave him it all as one cape.

HUNTINGNY MODERATOR

My Best Buck To Date:

130" 14 Pnt.

Mathews Switchback XT 28" draw, 400 grain arrow @

Mathews Monster MR5 27" draw, 400 grain arrow @ 305fps

Cool, lead me to this video on a DIY Euro mount. I knew everything about a Euro mount except the bleach part, really makes a difference.

A feather floated to earth. A hawk saw it, a bear smelled it, and a deer heard it hit the ground, but the coyote did all three - first.

Steve. I saw that video too. It was really helpful.

"Leave us the hell alone!" - Ted Nugent (2/4/13)

Proud member of the NRA

Proud of my Eagle Scout

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/jmasiakos/slideshow/Furry%20and%20Feathered%20Friends

would still strongly recommend maceration or beetles, you can see where some of the delicate bones on the inner nose are gone. Also there will still be residue on the back sides of those.

Joe

I agree. The beetle process works the best. Done alot or research on taxidermy.net and alot of people raise their own bugs in an old frig.. The inner noise bones are very fine, and will boil away. I skin the head and put it on a shed roof, letting nature run it coarse. I do wrap the rack in dark garbage bag, so the sun won't discolor it as bad. You can always tell a skull, that has been cooked in water. The inner nose bones are missing.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter