For those who want to skin their own deer for head mount

Deerthug

Just make sure you leave at least from behind the front legs forward. I have to replace at least 10 capes per year that customers have cut way too short, or thier butcher told them it was more than enough...personally, there is no need to cut the body skin from the cape you need for mounting at all, just leave it all one hide and let your taxidermist cut the cape where he wants to.

Even if you cape it out correctly,[usually not the case], the taxidermist still has to turn the lips, eyes, nose, ears, and flesh the hide, so you really aren't saving him any time. It's best to let the guy doing the mount cape it the way he wants...unless you are in a remote location and you do what you have to do...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree. The beetle process works the best. Done alot or research on taxidermy.net and alot of people raise their own bugs in an old frig.. The inner noise bones are very fine, and will boil away. I skin the head and put it on a shed roof, letting nature run it coarse. I do wrap the rack in dark garbage bag, so the sun won't discolor it as bad. You can always tell a skull, that has been cooked in water. The inner nose bones are missing.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter