I took the plunge,a saddle is in the mail...

BowmanMike

I went ahead and bought a saddle and platform and climbing rope. I guess i am comitted now,this setup cost me about as much as my used bow i got last year. 

i hope the saying proves true,buy once,cry once.

If anyone in the Cooperstown area wants a test ride at some point let me know.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

sweet, I plan to get one for next year. I want to make a lightweight mobile setup. 

That is exactly why i got one. I dont want to race through the woods just so i can get my climber of my back. 

I think with this i can just take my sweet time being stealthy. Everything combined should be well under 10#.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I will use a rope for double rope technique for afternoon hunts when i can use a throw bag to get a line over a crotch,and one stick for mornings where you keep moving the stick up,and then i can use the rope to rappel down. That is the plan anyway,all new to me...

That sounds like enough work to either stay home or sit next to a bush.LOL good luck with the new venture.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Just remember that upon meeting a new person you only have 45 seconds to mention that you hunt from a saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm,i didn't know that. I will make sure to drop that in the conversation,maybe after Hello?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Still don't get the whole saddle thing.....  It is not like you magically get in a tree... Still alot of work... Might as well just hang a stand.........

I plan on carrying a 4 pack of sticks in a stick quiver to areas that I haven’t preset earlier in the year. How is this a lot of work and what is it that everyone thinks it’s a lot of work? 
Private land I’ll have screw in steps on all my sets. Ya climb and ya hang. 
Areas that don’t have the screw in steps I carry sticks, climb and hang.

How is this a lot of work???

• Like 1

I plan on carrying a 4 pack of sticks in a stick quiver to areas that I haven’t preset earlier in the year. How is this a lot of work and what is it that everyone thinks it’s a lot of work? 
Private land I’ll have screw in steps on all my sets. Ya climb and ya hang. 
Areas that don’t have the screw in steps I carry sticks, climb and hang.
How is this a lot of work???
I've never tried a saddle. But I bought lightweight sticks and used them for a season to access prehung stands. I sweated more hanging sticks than I do with my climber. There was obviously a weight advantage but the simpler and faster is what I go for. To me the saddle is something that whether it's advantageous or not, people will buy what they're sold on television. They see "pro's" using them and think they're the best solution. Not bearing in mind these guys get paid to use them. I'm sure they fill a niche somewhere for someone but it's just not me. I've watched a lot of videos and the setup is far more involved than hooking a stand to a tree. Not to mention those rainy, windy, snowstorm, below freezing days. Have you ever tried working with wet, frozen ropes? In the dark? The very last thing I want to do when I've scouted a killer setup is to spend 30 minutes at the base of the tree setting up a saddle and sticks in the dark. To each their own, I follow these threads to see what real life experiences you guys have with them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Just remember that upon meeting a new person you only have 45 seconds to mention that you hunt from a saddle

Much like vegans. You know they walked into a room immediately.....because they tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m looking forward to you guys getting familiar with and using the saddles. It seems like a cool way to hunt. I’d have to prep trees and have sticks or steps in pre season the way Eberhart does it rather than do the whole deal each and every time. I just can’t see taking that much time to get up a tree, I’m in full panic mode the second I hit the woods until I’m settled in my spot

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m looking forward to you guys getting familiar with and using the saddles. It seems like a cool way to hunt. I’d have to prep trees and have sticks or steps in pre season the way Eberhart does it rather than do the whole deal each and every time. I just can’t see taking that much time to get up a tree, I’m in full panic mode the second I hit the woods until I’m settled in my spot

You and I have talked about this before , full on anxiety mode . I'm trying to break myself of it though . I think I'm limiting my positions too much in fear of spooking a deer . The best day i had last year was after saying F- it and just walking normal to the spot I wanted to be in for that time of year ,the leaves were wet and froze solid and made so much noise getting it ,I hadn't even caught my breath yet when the first buck of the day walked right towards where i set up ,almost to come over and see if I was what he was looking for.

You and I have talked about this before , full on anxiety mode . I'm trying to break myself of it though . I think I'm limiting my positions too much in fear of spooking a deer . The best day i had last year was after saying F- it and just walking normal to the spot I wanted to be in for that time of year ,the leaves were wet and froze solid and made so much noise getting it ,I hadn't even caught my breath yet when the first buck of the day walked right towards where i set up ,almost to come over and see if I was what he was looking for.

That was my approach AFTER I killed my archery buck, and I saw a lot of deer. The best day I had there was a buck watching me hang my climber in the dark. I must have seen 30 deer that day including 4 different bucks. It was mayhem

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

I've never tried a saddle. But I bought lightweight sticks and used them for a season to access prehung stands. I sweated more hanging sticks than I do with my climber. There was obviously a weight advantage but the simpler and faster is what I go for. To me the saddle is something that whether it's advantageous or not, people will buy what they're sold on television. They see "pro's" using them and think they're the best solution. Not bearing in mind these guys get paid to use them. I'm sure they fill a niche somewhere for someone but it's just not me. I've watched a lot of videos and the setup is far more involved than hooking a stand to a tree. Not to mention those rainy, windy, snowstorm, below freezing days. Have you ever tried working with wet, frozen ropes? In the dark? The very last thing I want to do when I've scouted a killer setup is to spend 30 minutes at the base of the tree setting up a saddle and sticks in the dark. To each their own, I follow these threads to see what real life experiences you guys have with them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Ya that’s not  why I got it cause I seen it on tv and want to be just like those guys .....  I hunted for years setting up sticks and stands. Maybe I was in excellent physical condition and it I thought it was easy with a lineman’s belt . A climber is a fine way to hunt but I just think they are loud . 

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 3

A physical specimen I am not as some can attest....and yet I would never sacrifice the comfort and flexibility of my summit climber due to its weight/bulkiness. And plenty of places I hunt have a good bit of a walk up and over some hills (would be mountains to you WNY FLATLANDERS).

The first time I climb each year, I’m loud and clumsy...after that I’m a NINJA!!!

Pretty sure I’d end up hanging my self if I tried a saddle!

• Like 1

A physical specimen I am not as some can attest....and yet I would never sacrifice the comfort and flexibility of my summit climber due to its weight/bulkiness. And plenty of places I hunt have a good bit of a walk up and over some hills (would be mountains to you WNY FLATLANDERS).

The first time I climb each year, I’m loud and clumsy...after that I’m a NINJA!!!

Pretty sure I’d end up hanging my self if I tried a saddle!

I have the summit viper and don’t find it to heavy or bulky at all, and it’s super fast on and up the tree

• Like 2