I took the plunge,a saddle is in the mail...

BowmanMike

The main thing that scares me if shooting form and my cams and string . Anxious to get everyone from the academy in it on week 8 or 9 

For the love of all things holy, someone figure out Live streaming for that event!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

For the love of all things holy, someone figure out Live streaming for that event!!

Instagram live is an option ,maybe for our long distance shoots too we'll go live.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Better yet use one of those 15 sick days that teachers get for working 9 months out the year and make a road trip 

My wife is a literacy coach so I make teacher jokes all the time . She hates it but it’s all out of fun . 

All good of course....I haven’t had a summer off ever and get home before 5:00 only between coaching seasons. My ADHD prevents me from doing the same thing day after day (except standing on a tiny platform 20’ up a tree!).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, crappyice said:

All good of course....I haven’t had a summer off ever and get home before 5:00 only between coaching seasons. My ADHD prevents me from doing the same thing day after day (except standing on a tiny platform 20’ up a tree!).

Amazing you manage to sit still for hunting then. That's great though,you put in a lot of time without seeing much and stuck it out and got rewarded.

• Like 1

It is crazy though that a tree stand is the one place I am good to just stand. Even in ground blinds I’m all over the place

I can attest to this fact this man covers a ton of ground!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update. I just got the saddle and rope for DRT yesterday and had to try it today. I think this will work out very nicely for me. The whole setup weighs maybe 7#,that includes a small platform to stand/lean on.

The saddle seems very comfortable,the climbing is something i have to get comfortable with. I did manage to get up and down the tree some without too much trouble,but it is far from smooth...yet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ajhunter29 said:

There's a new video out by NY saddle hunter where they use a hand ascender and a foot loop in conjunction with the DRT setup.  You may want to check it out if you are going to stick with DRT.

Thanks,i saw that. I think i will stick with the old fashioned way,less equipment and connections. I just need more practice and it will become easier. Unless it doesn't,then i may give the hand ascender a try. Or i could use my tether as a foot loop and pull the rope with my leg. Lots of options...I just have to see what works for me. 

Ok,another update. I feel like i have the rope climbing part figured out fairly well. It only took three times of climbing to feel pretty good about it. I love the fact that i am attached to the tree before leaving the ground even. The saddle seems comfortable,though i havent been in it for more than 1 hr at a time.

I have to add i never climbed with a rope before,but it feels very safe to me.

Next is shooting from the saddle,i have not done that yet,but will soon.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Ok,another update. I feel like i have the rope climbing part figured out fairly well. It only took three times of climbing to feel pretty good about it. I love the fact that i am attached to the tree before leaving the ground even. The saddle seems comfortable,though i havent been in it for more than 1 hr at a time.

I have to add i never climbed with a rope before,but it feels very safe to me.

Next is shooting from the saddle,i have not done that yet,but will soon.

Any links to a video of this rope climbing? You are starting to make me think.

6 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Any links to a video of this rope climbing? You are starting to make me think.

Ny saddle hunter on you tube. They have a ton of videos by now,start at the beginning. I knew nothing about it until i started watching their stuff. There are a lot of different options out there,but i like the DRT for its simplicity.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I climbed in a tree again today and shot my bow from the saddle. I think it is easier to bend from waist in the saddle than on a stand. I kept hitting rhe bullseye at 20 no problem. I think it is fairly comfortable too,but i only spent 40 mins or so in it.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, BowmanMike said:

Here is an update. I just got the saddle and rope for DRT yesterday and had to try it today. I think this will work out very nicely for me. The whole setup weighs maybe 7#,that includes a small platform to stand/lean on.

The saddle seems very comfortable,the climbing is something i have to get comfortable with. I did manage to get up and down the tree some without too much trouble,but it is far from smooth...yet.

Could you on not accomplished the same with a lineman belt and spikes and a regular light weight aluminum stand? I have several hang on  lite that are under 6 lbs. 

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Could you on not accomplished the same with a lineman belt and spikes and a regular light weight aluminum stand? I have several hang on  lite that are under 6 lbs. 

No spikes on public land,otherwise yes. My whole setup is about 6#,and by using the Double rope climbing technique i can get into almost any tree. Especially the real big ones that you couldn't even get a strap around.

But your way works too of course. I have the added safety of being tied in from the second my feet leave the ground.

Another big advantage is being able to rotate around the tree to be able to shoot 360°.

• Like 1

I have no issues with someone wanting to use a saddle, but there's no way hanging off the side of a tree standing on a tiny platform is more comfortable than a summit climber lounge seat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sit in one that fits you and is adjusted properly and I bet you’ll re think that position.