I took the plunge,a saddle is in the mail...

BowmanMike

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have the summit viper and don’t find it to heavy or bulky at all, and it’s super fast on and up the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the steel version if you want to try that sometime. Only a tad over 30#.

I think using a saddle and whichever climbing method is just like anything else,you have to practice to get good at it. 

I still remember the first time i used my climber,it was not quiet or fast.

And everyone can use whatever they want to get in a tree,i am not trying to convert folks. What i was using was not working for me,so i am trying something different.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sodfather said:

I plan on carrying a 4 pack of sticks in a stick quiver to areas that I haven’t preset earlier in the year. How is this a lot of work and what is it that everyone thinks it’s a lot of work? 
Private land I’ll have screw in steps on all my sets. Ya climb and ya hang. 
Areas that don’t have the screw in steps I carry sticks, climb and hang.

How is this a lot of work???

What I am saying is the saddle makes no sense...  Just put a regular stand up...  I have the saddle ( not comfortable) used it 2 x and gave it away...  If your gonna put your tree steps in  or sticks or homemade rope steps or what ever why not just put a frigging stand up...  What is so stealth about the saddle over any other stand?  The only thing that is stealth in my opinion is a climber, yea maybe noisier than climbing sticks but if your not a klutz these new climbers will not disturb deer near by.................

Edited by cbyzerman

1 hour ago, cbyzerman said:

What I am saying is the saddle makes no sense...  Just put a regular stand up...  I have the saddle ( not comfortable) used it 2 x and gave it away...  If your gonna put your tree steps in  or sticks or homemade rope steps or what ever why not just put a frigging stand up...  What is so stealth about the saddle over any other stand?  The only thing that is stealth in my opinion is a climber, yea maybe noisier than climbing sticks but if your not a klutz these new climbers will not disturb deer near by.................

The saddle makes perfect sense and I’ll tell ya why. 
The saddle slows you to more mobile not necessarily more stealth. Nobody ever mentioned anything about stealth. Let’s say You see rutting activity 100 yards away in the morning. With a saddle ya just slip over for the afternoon hunt . Now you can do the same with a climber also I get it if the trees are limbless and straight. You can move a stand but most don’t they just sit in the same spot waiting for action to come closer. 
If you hunt any public land it makes perfect sense. If you hunt bedding areas it makes perfect sense. I’m never tried it and it very well not be for me either. But I’m willing to give it a try and definitely more than 2 times. 

• Like 2

I ran a kestrel and a ring of steps last season. I have a lot of public land around me and it was awesome to have a nice light mobile setup.  I use the wild edge steps and had them strapped to the outside of my pack so I wouldn't have to unload anything at the base of the tree, just uncoil the ropes and start climbing.  I started practicing with a friends predator platform a couple weeks ago and plan on getting one this year to go with the new tethrd phantom that I will be receiving this week.  You wont regret buying and using a saddle.  Not only is it very efficient, but also fun!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sodfather said:

The saddle makes perfect sense and I’ll tell ya why. 
The saddle slows you to more mobile not necessarily more stealth. Nobody ever mentioned anything about stealth. Let’s say You see rutting activity 100 yards away in the morning. With a saddle ya just slip over for the afternoon hunt . Now you can do the same with a climber also I get it if the trees are limbless and straight. You can move a stand but most don’t they just sit in the same spot waiting for action to come closer. 
If you hunt any public land it makes perfect sense. If you hunt bedding areas it makes perfect sense. I’m never tried it and it very well not be for me either. But I’m willing to give it a try and definitely more than 2 times. 

Call me crazy , I just stand next to a tree or some brush downwind of a new spot I would like to investigate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Call me crazy , I just stand next to a tree or some brush downwind of a new spot I would like to investigate. 

That's me. I'm 95% on the ground when I hunt. And do alright killing pressured bucks.

But that's me. Any way someone else wants to hunt is fine by me too! Be it a saddle, climber, lock on, ladder, whatever works for you, it's all good!

What I don't think is good, is telling another hunter what they should or shouldn't do.

• Like 3

That's me. I'm 95% on the ground when I hunt. And do alright killing pressured bucks.
But that's me. Any way someone else wants to hunt is fine by me too! Be it a saddle, climber, lock on, ladder, whatever works for you, it's all good!
What I don't think is good, is telling another hunter what they should or shouldn't do.

Same here. More mobile than a saddle is on foot. But agree anyone can try anything. We all on the same team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Watched YouTube on saddle. Zero interest. How does it better a climber. Looks like a pita imo 

It’s better than a climber for these reasons 

1-climb any tree any size to any height

2- Sit in comfort for longer

3- Less or nothing to carry in the woods with you.

Reasons a Climber is better

1- It’s easy 

2- ?

3- ? 

• Like 1

1- It’s easy 
2- ?
3- ? 

2. It is stable
3. Flexible
4. Self contained(I can’t forget, steps, ropes, ropes and more ropes)
5. Can dump out of it
6. Can stand, sit, lean, rest on bar
6. Sit in comfort for longer

I do hope you like it and it works for you - I have nothing against them but MY WAY is better(just as High Life is the better beer)

Just now, crappyice said:

2. It is stable
3. Flexible
4. Self contained(I can’t forget, steps, ropes, ropes and more ropes)
5. Can dump out of it
6. Can stand, sit, lean, rest on bar
6. Sit in comfort for longer

I do hope you like it and it works for you - I have nothing against them but MY WAY is better(just as High Life is the better beer)

I forgot about #5 

• Like 1

1- It’s easy 
2- ?
3- ? 
I have no issues with someone wanting to use a saddle, but there's no way hanging off the side of a tree standing on a tiny platform is more comfortable than a summit climber lounge seat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I have no issues with someone wanting to use a saddle, but there's no way hanging off the side of a tree standing on a tiny platform is more comfortable than a summit climber lounge seat.

From what im hearing and seeing, it is 

25 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You don’t hang from it . You sit in it like a window washer 

10 hours ago, sodfather said:

1- It’s easy 

2- ?

3- ? 

There is zero comfort................... zero

34 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

There is zero comfort................... zero

Gotta be otherwise a half a million people wouldn’t be hunting out of them . Can’t wait to give it a try . I’m not scared to try new things if it’s not for me then so be it. I’d rather try myself then listen to a newbie that only tried it twice 

• Like 1

I think the biggest advantage is that you can use a tree that a climber would not work in.  Biggest complaint seems to be the presser on the legs when sitting.  I would like to try one to see how quick set up in the dark would be and how it feels, personally I like a solid platform to shoot from and sit on.  I have fallen asleep a few times in stands due to such high comfort, I do not see this as the same comfort but would love to test them out.  

I think one of my Suffolk Archers members and a member here (ATBuckhunter) wants to get one so I will test his out later in the year.   My fear of heights will probably prevent me from hanging by a rope.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Gotta be otherwise a half a million people wouldn’t be hunting out of them . Can’t wait to give it a try . I’m not scared to try new things if it’s not for me then so be it. I’d rather try myself then listen to a newbie that only tried it twice 

Actually I lied....  Only tried it once....  But hey goodluck............

3 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I think the biggest advantage is that you can use a tree that a climber would not work in.  Biggest complaint seems to be the presser on the legs when sitting.  I would like to try one to see how quick set up in the dark would be and how it feels, personally I like a solid platform to shoot from and sit on.  I have fallen asleep a few times in stands due to such high comfort, I do not see this as the same comfort but would love to test them out.  

I think one of my Suffolk Archers members and a member here (ATBuckhunter) wants to get one so I will test his out later in the year.   My fear of heights will probably prevent me from hanging by a rope.  

Ditto on the solid platform I love my lone wolf hang on it’s super comfortable. But the buzz around the saddle has me scratching right where I itch . 

• Like 2

I also wonder if your movement in a saddle will be greater or less then in a climber...from
Some of the videos I watched it seems like you need to get on the correct side of the ropes to shoot which requires some twisting and sucking and lifting of ropes over head...
Just something else to look out for.

3 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Plan is to get one in the begining of the summer and practice using in the club. You can definitely try it out once i figure it out 

• Like 2