Added a 10 mm 1911 to the collection

rob-c

I’ve been wanting a 1911 in 10mm for some time. I wanted a fairly high horse power carry gun when working on the lease and to take along on a Alaskan trip next year for our 30 yr anniversary. I’m a Ruger guy all the way but they were experiencing reliability problems with their 1911’s in 10 mm.

So the search was on for another, the more I read reviews on Rock Island arms with their great price, super reliability and great warranty, I thought I need to fondle one. Found sportsman’s warehouse  was a dealer and took a trip down . I didn’t expect for them to have one but they sure did.

So as I was fondling it the wife walks over and myself and another customer were talking about the rock island  1911’s in  10mm as he just bought one off of the great reviews he had read on them also . Out of the blue shes like,  buy it if you want it. I never told her I was looking to buy a 10mm I was just seeing if I liked the feel.  So of course I bought it . They were having a special Pop a ballon event with anywhere from 5 to 100% off. And I only got a 10% off but hey better than nothing,  it covered the tax and then some. Now to buy cases,  projectiles and reloading die’s . Gotta say I’ve got a great wife..... 

0BBE5FCD-7F9B-46DF-9B7A-41B6BA8F2516.jpeg

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 17

13 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Nice, I want one too, already have the dies. I also thought the ruger was the way to go, did you post up where they were having problems? Don't waste any time getting out to shoot it, I want to hear your opinion on it, good luck.

Yes I was the one . I’ll post up some reviews when I do get out to shoot it. My initial thoughts-  I have big hands ( I wear 2xl gloves ) and it felt and fit great  in my hand , this was a big reason I bought it . The fiber optic front sight with the white dots rear were very easy to acquire and line up, It’s got a nice weight and balance. The tactical grips are fantastic , the slide functioned smoothly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Nice  p-shooter...... now you have to work up a load and kill a deer with it . Racksmasher over on handgun hunter  bought a Remington  r1  last year . You might pick his brain on loads . I have never found a 1911 I can shoot .... the curse of being a lefty.

I may. It would be hard for me not to use the SRH during deer season though . But one should never say never. 

17 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Good looking 1911 you've got there. I didn't know Ruger was having issues with theirs, is it strictly with the 10mm, or the 45's as well?

It’s just the 10mm, a few guys posted about toggle lug failure with hot rounds. Now granted it wasn’t a high failure count and ruger did take care of them. It just would be in the back of my head when shooting and I wouldn’t feel confident with it being reliable. 

5B08D519-E360-4F95-BD78-FB0142B7755F.jpeg

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Great looking piece. Seems the Glock 10mm is pretty popular with lots of folks, just not nearly as sexy as that piece. 

Yeah the Glocks didn’t interest me, not a huge fan of the chamber not supporting the entire case. I reload so didn’t want a chance of the Glock case bulge. I know guys do reload with no problems  , but myself not worth it when there are other quality guns. 

1 hour ago, covert said:

I was really expecting to read that you popped the balloon and hit 100% off.  :( 

I wish, I would have been happy with a 30-40% off even  . The girl at the counter did say they had a 100% off that morning she didn’t say for what though. I told the wife how  bad would it suck if it was on a like a $20 item though. 

Edited by rob-c

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you’re shooting a lot of full power loads you’ll need to play with recoil springs, other than that they make a pretty nice 10mm. A RIA is what started my 10mm craze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I had read that  , the plan is to buy loaded rounds till I get a decent collection of brass then start to reload. My hope is to load to the full potential of the 10mm while still keeping accuracy. 

5 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Since your a ruger guy and you have a great wife, you need to look into getting the Gp-100 10mm and turn it into a 10mm magnum.

That's a wheel gun ready for any situation.

SJC

Honestly I was going back and forth between a 357 snub 8 shot redhawk or a 1911 in 10 mm for my woods carry. But since I did not own a semi auto pistol and the good price of the rock island , well you see what I bought. Those  GP’s are nice my wife’s is a early model  half lug 6 inch barrel model in 357 that she has hunted with. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Well, since you got a 10mm, time to return the gesture to your wife.

10mm 30 year anniversary presents and it'll keep her 357 company.

We actually bought her a Toyota Highlander for her birthday 3 weeks ago so she’s set for a bit ^_^...