2011 Fletch "the Nimrod Chronicles"

Fletch

Well it is that wonderful time of the year again!! The leaves are changing and falling. The pesky bugs are thinning out. The bucks are hard antlered and their coats have gone from red to grayish brown.

I am a bit behind in getting ready for the weekend!! I have yet to get all my gear together. I did change out some broadhead blades. And of course have been shooting. I also put in a new ground blind above the "hole" stand. I needed a good watch to get out with the kids on.

The weekend weather sounds a bit interesting but we will see.

I am looking forward to reading everyone elses journals this year and I hope to return the favor.

Good luck to all of you, now off to finish the "to do list quickly"!!

Fletch

Edited by Fletch

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I did change out some broadhead blades."

Not trying to be a wise-ass or anything. I don't bow hunt. But did buy a crossbow which i plan on using this year. My question is why are you changing broadhead blades? I practice mostly with field points, but also do practice with 1 broadhead and they shoot the same. I keep the 1 broadhead as a practice bolt/broadhead. But when it comes to hunting, I will be using a brand new bolt/broadhead. Doesn't everbody do this? or am I missing something...

BIZ On some of the broadheads you can change out the blades over and over again. They are cheaper that way. I use muzzy's and if you hit a deer and the blades break you just switch them out. It is a nice option.

Ok, thanks. My crossbow broadheads (excalibur boltcutters) are the same then. I manually put the razor blades into the broadhead and then into the bolt(arrow). So I guess technically, I could do the same. I just assumed if you shoot a deer your bolt (arrow) would be destroyed by breaking, shattering, bending, etc.? because I assumed this, I bought 24 bolts (arrows) and 24 broadheads and a bunch of fieldpoint tips as well. Guess I might be set for life then? lol

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Biz

I shoot broadheads that you can replace the blades. I have shot multiple deer with the same broadhead quite a few times. The broadheads I shoot are 40 bucks for 3 and half of that to just replace the blades. I thouroughly inspect each and replace the whole broadhead if needed. 20 broadheads would cost me about $270.00!!! yikes

Hair shaving sharp broadheads are the only kind to shoot. Even just being out in the elements your blades will lose their edge and need to be sharpened.

Well it is the afternoon before the bow opener and the forecast is 100% chance of rain, probable thunder, 30 to 40 mph winds with gusts to 50 mph. Looks like last year opener but longer lasting. I will not go out and get scent blown all through my areas in that weather. Need a bulldozer or a corn harvester to get a deer up in that wind!

I will get up in the am to check because well weathermen can not be relied on.

How depressing!

Biz

I shoot broadheads that you can replace the blades. I have shot multiple deer with the same broadhead quite a few times. The broadheads I shoot are 40 bucks for 3 and half of that to just replace the blades. I thouroughly inspect each and replace the whole broadhead if needed. 20 broadheads would cost me about $270.00!!! yikes

Hair shaving sharp broadheads are the only kind to shoot. Even just being out in the elements your blades will lose their edge and need to be sharpened.

Mine are $44.99 per 6 for the bolts and $34.99 per 3 for the broadheads.

24 and 24 cost me $550 + Tax. Like I said, I guess I realize now that I am good for a several years.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Biz I think with 24 you should be set for a while!!

Well the weather still looks bad but am looks doable with 10mph then getting steadily worse from there.Got fingers crossed.

My washer is broke but at least the dryer works to dry off the hunting clothes!!

10/15 am

48 degrees

Well got up at 5:30am and it was windy but not 20 to 30 as predicted. Watched weatherbug and fought with myself about goin out or goin back to bed. Brother on the phone same deal. Finally decided to go at first light and poke in and see how it is. Sat for 1.5 hours before it got bad out with the wind and then the rain. Both of us saw zip.

Did not even bother this evening it is blowin to all heck out. Forcast here is strong wind until Tuesday!!!! Flippin great!

10/16 am

53 d

Got up at 5:30 and the weatherman was not even close. 15 to 25 with gust to 35 my.... It was 5 to 10 tops. Moon was sure bright walking in

Went to my ladder stand in the hole and sat until 9:30 and neither me or my brother saw a thing.

Edited by Fletch

10/16 pm

56 d

My 9 year old son wanted to go so we did not get out until 4 due to this would be the longest he has sat on watch. We went to the pop up blind above the hole. On the way in just 1 minute after he left us my brother walked into a 6 point and another smaller one. We could see him but not the deer. He could not get a shot. He jumped two more different ones half way to his stand and two more out from under his stand then saw 3 more on watch and jumped one coming out. So he saw 10 tonight, we did not see a thing. I think maybe we should of gone in at 2pm!!

My son did make it till dark, had to pee twice, ate snacks for more than half the watch but had fun!!

10/18 am

46 d

Out back on time this morning. Real nice morning, finally no wind! Saw my fisrt deer of the season!! Had a 1.5 year old 3 point, I could not see brows on him, come by me early. Passed him as he went by at 25 yards. He milled around browsing behind me for quite a while. That was it but it is a start!!

10/19 pm

62 d

Should of got out this morning but needed to make up some work. I got out this afternoon for two hours in the Hole ladder stand and it was windy. Not super bad, I had hope but not a flippin thing. I'm am off to a slow start!!

I finally got my bowhunter log in the mail today, I am getting depressed filling it out for the lat 5 days!!

My wife called me at 7:30am this morn she is dropping my daughter off at school and there is a doe in someones front yard across from the school flopping around blood all over the white picket fence.... I tell her to catch a/the cop as she comes through the village. She did and he went over and dispatched it. Not sure if car hit or what. I might have been better off to get out of bed and go get it myself considering how my season has started!!

I am not worried yet!!

I do get out a lot. Benefits of my job. I really am not a big fan of the first week anyway. I do not have big food sources like agricultural fields, and my apples are always gone before October so my spots are not big summer pattern places. I love October 31st and the first week of November.

Even still I am hitting weather bug to see what looks good tomorrow. Looks real wet in the am!! I must hit weatherbug 20 times a day in hunting season!!

10/21 am

46 d

Out behind the house this morning for 1.5 hours. Had to come in early to meet the washer delivery guy, But washer did not come in so...could of stayed out!

Anyhow, bumped into a small buck on my way out, looked like the 3 pointer from the other day. Otherwise nothing, wind was 10 to 15 again but not terrible.