2011 Fletch "the Nimrod Chronicles"

Fletch

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/22 pm

49 d

Back into 3 Rivers with my brother in another spot. We hiked way back in to a semi island I wanted to try. Man I am beat. Hour in and an hour out with climbers and packs. Broke a clip on my Badlands and lost my outer jacket I had strapped on. Had to backtrack in the dark to find it. No deer sighted. Not the best day. 5.5 hours on stand and not a flag. Back at them in the morning.

10/23 am

45 d

My brother and I got out behind the house this morning. I had two bucks cut behind me around 8:30 am. One was a 4 point and the other I think a 6 point, both 1.5 year olds. Nice morning to be out, sat for 2.5 hours. My brother had one run by him just before it got light out.

10/23

56 d

Went over to my "hole" stand and sat another 2.5 hours. Bit warm out and man I could have filled a bushell basket with squirrels! I did have 2 button bucks come out at 5:30 and stay around for over half an hour.

My brother was hunting up top from me and had a real interesting night. He had a fisher come out and hop on a stump out in front of his stand. He was taking a pic of it when it turned and saw him and ran right to his tree and stopped at the base. My bro grabs a branch and is smacking it against the tree thinking the fisher is gonna come up and visit. It finally took off he did get a pick of it and it is a fisher. I have never seen one here in central NY. Then right at dark when he is packing up he sees something else coming in to him. He hits it with the flash light and says it was the fattest raccoon he ever saw!!

Better day today, felt good seeing some deer.

Edited by Fletch

Man I should have got out this morning! I was planning on going out this afternoon but should have checked the weather better. Pouring like heck out there. This morning was beautiful and I convinced myself I need at least one day sleeping in a week. Should have not listened to my dumb self!

Well tomorrow am looks good anyway.

10/24 pm

52 d

Well the rain did stop a bit after 4. Got geared up and headed out back. Ran into a bunch of turkeys just off the back lawn. Fooled around with them and jumped a deer out of my old mini plot. Got into a perm stand about 5. Only saw the 7 turkeys cross up the ridge about a half hour later.

10/25 am

45 d

Got out this am behind the house. Was a bit windy 10 to 15. I bumped one right before my stand stupid deer blew like 5 times. rrr It was wet and windy and pitch dark and I was slow and quiet to no avail. Saw three turkeys off in the distance and nothing else. Sat for two hours.

10/25 pm

51 d

Just in case anybody was wondering it is really possible to be caught off guard and have a deer 8 yards in front of you and you actually get the bow drawn and sight in looking directly below your peep sight instead of through it!! Results equal a very low shot under the deer!

Snuck down to a ladder stand on the south line of my property. It sits in a pine overlooking a mowed trail through an old overgrown field. I just snuck in for the last hour of the day. I was not really focused as in I was emailing a couple guys who work for me about some business. I hear a bleat behind me and twist around and there is a fawn right in the trail and I hear another deer in the thick stuff but can not see it. I can not shoot anywhere from this stand except right out in front. I am watching the fawn for a couple minutes and turn back forward and there is a nice doe right in the path broadside 30 yards. Bow is hanging and she is looking below me. Now she turns up the mowed path and heading right towards me. 25-20-15-10 yards all this time I am slowing getting my bow and clipping release on string and getting to full draw. I am just amazed I have not been busted I can see her eyes she is walking right at me and I am only like 16 to 18 feet high. I anchor she turns a bit and I put the short pin on her and bam she turns inside out as my arrow goes right under her. I replay it in my head and pull the bow back again and I imediately new what happened I rushed and pulled up on such a steep shot and I was sitting my peep did not pop right in front of me and I looked right below it. First time for that. I swear if there is something new to find to go wrong I will try it out!!

I am just glad it was a clean miss. If I would have not been twisted around I could have seen her coming right out at 30 broadside with time.

Oh well that is why it is hunting.

10/17 am

37 d

Alrighty back at it. Behind the house in my favorite ladder stand by 6:30. It is nice and chilly, rain let off and quiet. About 7:30 I catch one sneakin behind me about 75 yards out. It was a buck I am not sure which buck but not real big I could not get a great look at the rack. I can called him 3 times and he would stop and listen and just keep going. He was definetly on route somewhere. Then about 20 minutes later I am trying to quietly get a granola bar out and I here a crack out front left where the leaves are blocking pretty good. Then I see something small running. It was almost black colored and a bit smaller than a fox. I am thinking another fisher but that would be crazy. This spot is 3 miles from the spot my brother saw and took a pic of one the other night. Seeing that neither of us has seen one ever before it seems far fetched we would see two in a week in different spots! Well it is my back yard so maybe I will get some more looks at it.

Then I get an email from the wife that the guys delivering the washer will be at the house in 15 minutes. rrrrrr What a way to spoil a good morning. Had to sneak out after one hour of legal hunting time in the stand.

Well at least now I can wash my hunting clothes. I was out of base layers two days ago and getting low on fresh hunting socks!

Can not wait to get back out this afternoon. It is starting to feel like things are getting more active out there.

11/27 pm

37 d

In the hole stand for a bit saw one nice 8 point big body. Also jumped a couple on the way out. Rain and spitting snow.

Will get out in the am and then heading north to rifle hunt at a friends camp for the weekend.

Godd luck out there.

Edited by Fletch

Rifle north

11/28 pm

Up to camp and sat for 2 hours nothing.

11/29 am Man it was chilly. Sat for 3 hours nadda.

11/29 pm saw one doe. Also had one unknown at dark behind me and a porcupine sighted. Lots of does fawns sighted by the group tonight.

11/30 am sat for 2.5 hours saw nothing.

No bucks sighted by anyone all weekend.

Headed for home mid day.

11/31 am

30 d

Out in my favorite ladder stand behind the house. Jumped one going in and got blown at multiple times. rrr Did have one button buck go by me at around 8:30am.

Well it is Halloween the next 10 days are my favorite. I have Friday and Monday off so there will be a lot of hunting going on.

11/1 pm

56 d

Went to the hole stand tonight. Warm calm and sunny equaled a big fat zero. Could have filled a truck with squirrels out on the sunny day.

Hit a bit of a lull here. Thinking about hitting behind the in laws in the morning.

Edited by Fletch

11/2 am

32 d

Got out in my climber this morning behind the inlaws for 2 hours. Around 8 am had a little 4 point come up behind me. He picked me out but could not decide if he liked me or not. He circled behind me and came right out broadside at 15 yards in one of my lanes. He got a pass for now. After he got a bit aways I can called him he did not like that. After he was gone about 15 minutes I hear a deer running so I get ready. A smaller deer is out to my side about 50 yards. It came right from where the buck went. It was a flat head, possible even a button, it went right back where it came from. Then about 20 minutes later I see one walking 50 yards out same spot again. It cuts and come around behind me and I had one quick shot at about 12 yards but I had not gotten a good look at the head to make sure it was not a button so I held the shot.

It was a fun morning. I left the climber right there for tomorrow morning. Tonight I will be late working so if I get out at all it will be my quick spot in the field out back where I missed the doe last Tuesday.