2011 Fletch "the Nimrod Chronicles"

Fletch

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is great for sure. After a few days of getting up at four am to drive an hour south to hunt. You realize how nice it is to sleep an extra hour and twenty minutes to hunt out the back door. I only have 12 acres but my neighbor has 20 or so I can hunt. The whole block I would guess is 600 to 800 acres. So a lot of woods and connected to a lot more just crossing any road. I bow hunt it pretty good and we usually get one or two deer every year "out back". I have another spot I post for a friend that is 6 miles away of about 40 acres out of a 150 acre section. And a couple thousand acres of overhunted pheasant managed state land less than 2 mile away.

Ok I owe some back time.

11/23 just got out for one watch and had a zero

11/24 Hunted the hole and my BIL hunted behind the inlaws on the point. We saw zip. After that we did a drive behind the inlaws. We were short one man my Bro stood us up but we decided to try anyway. Well we put up a good sized deer I just could not get a shot at it. If we had a third it would have been shooting anyway.

11/25 Hit Tully all day with my cousin, uncle, brother and Dad. My cousin saw a couple little ones in the am. My uncle and I jumped two no shots. My brother saw four on pm watch no shot at an adult.

11/26 Tully with Uncle, cousin and brother. We all got skunked but my brother who saw one like 200 yards away.

11/27 Hunted behind the house with my Dad. He missed a long shot at a deer around 9am. They came down to me a spike and a 4 point. I was tempted with the status of my freezer but I passed them at 40 yards.

11/28 pm got out behind the house for 1.5 and jumped one on the way out.

As usual gun season and it is tough.

I saw a doozie at the butcher last night. 140 plus inch 10 point just mass.

11/30 am

44 d

Out behind the house for 1.5 hours. Rained most of the night. Man it is wet and muddy!! In the stand by 6:30am and at about 6:50 had one cross right in front of me at 50 yards. It was still pretty dark and I could not even tell what it was. It looked secent sized and I am pretty sure it was a buck. I canned and grunted. he would stop and listen but not hang around. That was it.

12/1 am

25 d

Out back for 1.5 no sightings. My Dad was out as well and he was out for over 4 hours and nothing.

pm

44 d

I went back out tonight for the last hour or so. Had one moving at a pretty good pce flash by about 250 yards out just before dark. No idea what it was I only saw it for a second.

12/2 am

29 d

Out behind the house again this am in my favorite ladder stand by 6:30 am. At 7:20 I have two come in from my right and cut behind me. I stand up and get turned around and see it is a doe and a fawn. They are angling away behind me at about 50 to 60 yards. The bigger one is in front and walking. When she hits an opening I fire and she kicks and takes off running. I got on her when she hit another opening and shot and hit her again. She then stopped behind some trees at about 70 yards. I saw her head and neck pop out and got a solid rest and shot again hitting her in the neck and she dropped. After checking her out I hit low shoulder first shot, Just behind the diaphram on the second running shot and 3rd shot in the neck. She was dead after the first shot but in gun season I want her down before she gets in front of someone else!!

I think she is 1.5 years seeing she hit the scales at 102 pounds dressed. Should be some good eating. And certainly makes the freezer situation look a lot better.

2011shotgundoe.jpg

Now to get the muzzleloader out.

Thanks Burt. I think out of over 30 deer seen since bow opened this is like the 3rd or 4th doe. And only the second to offer a shot. The first I missed with the bow but we are trying to forget that day!! All the rest bucks, buttons and doe fawns.

Yes it is a 20 gauge Ithica. I hit a bit low on shot one but it was a killing shot. A few inches higher and she would have gone down there. I am just in the habit of making it hit the ground, I hunt a lot of public land and if it goes over a hill somebody else shoots it. I quit the 12 a long time ago.

11/4 pm

53 d

Well I did drag out a 12 footer! X=mas tree that is. Got out behind the inlaws for last watch with my BIL. Did a bit of still hunting trying to kick him one with the temp so high. A swing and a miss.

I am actually going to sleep in tomorrow for the first time in weeks!!

Edited by Fletch

10/11

Out in Tully again. Man it was cold this morning, 17 degrees when I pulled in the lot. sat in my climber for the first 3 hours. I had like 7 chemical warmers going and like 3 layers of clothes on and a thermos of hot coffee so I was pretty comphy!!

We had a bite then did a drive? I actual was on watch the first half of one and missed a big running yore. Then I put up a herd that slipped out an uncovered spot on us. My BIL did have 2 come towards him but he got busted moving and no shot.

back in climber for last 2 hours and no luck.