Fletching tool recommendations

Big Indian

I have a plastic tool. Arizona EZ fletch from Lancaster. (POS) because the glue gets stuck in it all the time. I try to apply as little as possible, and use a toothpick to apply, so that’s not he problem 

who fletches their own arrows and what type of tool would you recommend? I’m assuming @Fletch has lots of info for me.

Thanks for all of your input I look forward to the feedback.

• Like 1

35 years ago an archery shop in Hemlock NY (on Rt 15A) was closing......My buddy Tom and I went there and bought 4 used Bitzenburger jigs, each one came with right and left hand clamps. Then the shop owner brought out BAGS of full length (REAL) barred and solid colored right and left hand feathers.  We left with some great bargains.......the jigs with clamps were $20 each. I don't recall what we paid for the feathers.

• Like 2

I use the shrink wrap fletches now,but started with the ez fletch (pos) then went to the Jojan single fletcher much better, but know matter what I did a fletch or two fell off. For now on it’s shrink wrap only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I use a Bohning one arrow at a time fletching tool, nothing fancy but it works well. Good rainy day project.

Al

003.thumb.JPG.c3cab33dcbafb933dbb26291ca35a907.jpg

I use one of these when I need to fletch arrows.  I made a nock adaptor that can allow me to fletch crossbow bolts too.

• Like 1

I have a JoJan with right  and straight clamps for feathers.  For  blazer vanes I use the Arizona EZ  fletch shorty . Easy way to clean the glue is wipe with acetone.  I kept a old pickle jar and filled it half way with acetone and I’ll soak the arms in it to to move all traces of glue. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Why don’t you fletch carbons with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can, but I buy Carbon Express Maxima reds that are already fletched. I haven’t had the need to refletch any of them. I originally purchased it when I was still using aluminums with feathers and I was having issues with adhesion. Since I’ve switched, the bitz has been taking up space on my bench, so if someone needed it, I’d let it go. 

• Like 1

I use a Bohning as well. It is very user friendly and I usually am only doing 6-12 arrows at a time or a few repairs. I am sure the jig will outlive me. Sure beats what a shop charges to do em. 

Unfortunately I am not a Master Fletcher lol but serviceable.....

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, airedale said:

I use a Bohning one arrow at a time fletching tool, nothing fancy but it works well. Good rainy day project.

Al

003.thumb.JPG.c3cab33dcbafb933dbb26291ca35a907.jpg

I use the same one, works good enough.  Just wish the glue would work better, I always loose one on a shaft in the cold weather, I did about 10 and I think I am down to one.  I might just try to add the one missing fletching instead of doing all 3 next time.  I never seem to get it perfect as one fletching is always closer than the space between the other 2.  Still have a few dozen Datourch arrows for hunting but might switch over to hex this season as Datourch is discontinued. 

• Like 1