Need some prayers for our grandpup

Steuben Jerry

37 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

They had to euthanize him last evening. Kidneys were shut down, and there wasn't any way back from that. What a bolt from the blue to knock him down like that. Come to find out he received the lepto vaccination after all. The vet said different strains are popping up, much like the flu. Healthy one day, fatal disease the next day. Vet suspects he may have drank water from a puddle that was on the ground that an infected wild animal urinated on. In a fenced back yard in suburbia no less. They haven't had him anywhere else in a month.

Pic is him and our dog Ruger from rifle season a few years ago. Wiped out from wrestling with each other all morning, lol. They were roughly the same age, and were best buddies since they were pups.

RugerGage.JPG

My wife, who is a vet, always advises against letting dogs drink out of the "community water bowls" that are in many dog friendly towns and cities. They are just a breeding ground for stuff like this. I'm so sorry that you/he had to go through thing. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. Things come in 3's. Last night my daughter called, a teacher friend had to put her dog down over the weekend, then her ex boyfriend called to let her know that his dog is very sick and he will be put down today. She was really upset as I believe she liked the dog more than the boyfriend! 

• Like 1

Something very special about the bond we have with our pets especially dogs.   

So many are in shelters, the next time you think about a new pet try saving a lost soul in the shelters, they really need it!   I know it's hard when we loose a close pet but never let that stop you from having another pet!   You are both worth the effort!   

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss, it is so hard.

We had a lab that got Lepto at 6 years old..   the speculation was the same, in that she drank out of a puddle that was contaminated with urine from a raccoon or opossum.  She made it thru that, but was never quite the same, as she had liver issues the rest of her life.

You never know, so have to appreciate every day we get with them!!

• Like 2