Best hunt/hike boots

fadetoblack188

Guys what are your favorite hunting and hiking boots. I was thinking about spending some money this year on a good set of boots. 

like crisis or somthing. 

I habe brownings now that are ok when hiking, the muck artic pros which are amazing standing still but not great on my hike in and out.

what do you think?

I have 2 pair of mammut ,I swear by them for hiking boots . They come a little stiff in the beginning but they break in perfect with a nice balance between support and flexibility. These are the pair I'm wearing right now ,I have the older version that is still in perfect condition.

https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/3020-05430-0609/ayako-high-gtx-men/

I got some scrapa gortex that go well with my kuiu gators fir hiking in any distance most of bow season, even fir low creek crossings..

in fact I have a size smaller that I never returned...anyone interested $170 shipped!  Very decent hikers...not quite mountaineering stiff but supportive.  Size 9 

image.thumb.jpg.0e974002201521ea02af68e93236fd2b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ab362a4cd93729917896bb84df697a82.jpg

I prefer rubbers fir short hikes or later in the season when the creeks get higher

Edited by OtiscoPaul

These are my favorites- early season some type of Timberlands- gotta be 15 years old. Model and names all worn out.
6b660f2d939f1485ca3a44844f6cf95b.jpg

I sent pics to timberland to see if they could recommend an similar alternative - nothing close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold boots /footwear for years. Without going into brands, the single most important thing you can do is try them on. No two feet are the same. I strongly recommend going to a real store (examples...Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc) and trying them on and walking in them. Once you know the shoe/size/width, sure, then you can buy them online, but if you have problems with them it is that much more a pain.

53 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever hunted anywhere in deer or turkey season that I could have worn non rubber boots to navigate the terrain of marsh , creeks , streams etc without getting wet feet 

Full rubber rand with leather/goretex boots and good gaiters get me through about 10” of creek crossing but not like rubbers.

My issue is no store brands hold up more than a year especially rubbers...Ive worn light weight UA and Columbia, and redwing insulated but they all fail by season 2.  Muck brand?

These Scarpa have a full bow season under them and I wear them for a lot of other stuff, still like new.

image.jpg

Edited by OtiscoPaul

19 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i cant find a pair of rubber boots that fit right.    I have three sets of boots I rotate when they get wet. Must be i have cankles. 

I like the old UA and the Irish Setter insulated because they are light have sneaker profile and heel pockets and fit nice around my tiny pretzel ankles...that said they combined cost $1500 over 5 years cuz they never last.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

I am not a fan of rubber boots, for me they are heavy and lack support, I only wear them in extremely wet conditions as in Coon hunting around and in swamps. In moderately wet conditions I like the compromise in Bean's Maine hunting boots, rubber bottoms and full lace up leather tops.

For a lot of walking nothing beats upland bird hunting boots with enough room for a good thick pair of wool socks, those of good quality are lightweight and are so very comfortable with a lot of support and warm enough for the majority of hunting I do. I like those made from Kangaroo leather best, "Bean's",  "Woods N Stream" and "Cabelas" produce some good ones. I also have a heavier pair of Redheads made of leather and ballistic nylon that are pretty good. They are worth the xtra care required with leather treatments like "Obenaufs" or "Snow Seal"  to keep them pretty much waterproof and the leather supple for many years and miles of rough use.

Al

Edited by airedale