Team Legend 2011 Deer Season

First-light

The journals have started, always a good sign! We are all set to go up for a three day weekend second week of the season. I will be up every other weekend. We have not seen any big ones yet, we have our usual bears around. Looking forward to all the journal posts! Good luck and be safe!

Burt

Edited by Burt

Stay off me thread "trespasser" dangnabbit!

Well, we would stay off if we didn't know when you will be up there, but since you are so kind in letting us know thru your journal here, we just can't resist! LOL

We'll be sure to post pictures again this year of anything we might shoot!

I leave tonight with my Brother. He is picking me up in NYC around 5 should be at the cabin by 10-11. Have some work on the addition to do but not much. Would like to get it insulated this weekend. Weather looks good so maybe we have some luck, it will be a good time. Report back in on Sunday night. Good luck hunters.

Hey guys,

We just got back in. The weather on Friday wasn't great but we stayed at it. My brother saw 2 doe and that was it for the day. Saturday morning we both got skunked but we did find a huge rub line and scrapes on our logging road. I was was 0 for three on the hunts but that was all about to change. I have a stand up in an area that doesn't have many shooting lanes. It is a real nice set up, a place where the bucks come to seek out does. It was about 5:15 Saturday afternoon and right in front of me is cruising a real nice broken rack 8 pt. I have no shot and he starts to head away from me into the pines. I bleat softly and he turns and heads my way. In the next half hour this happens 3 times. I watch him make a scrape and was at full draw twice. Both times the shot just wasn't right so I held up. He ended up getting tired of the game and walked off. BTW I have out two scent bottles out code red and one tarsal gland. Sunday morning our last hut I am in the same stand. 8:15 rolls around and bang right in front of me is a nice doe and two fawns. They are 30 yards of and headed for the swamp. I let them walk

hoping a buck is behind them. I was right, I hear a grunt from the pines and a running back and forth. At this time the lead doe decides she wants to cozy up with me and heads right for my stand. She now is about 15 feet from the base of my tree. I'm looking out of the corner of my eye at her and looking towards the pines. Out he comes,

a huge bodied buck but again missing half his rack. This buck was a 10 point but was missing one complete side.

I have hunted this property for 4 years and every buck I have shot had a broken rack, go figure. I watch this buck make a scrape and what a show it was. All for hooves were in motion and he tore up a tree above the scrape.

well after 5 minutes the does start to head off, the buck is just watching. He angles down towards my right staying 30 yards out. He was getting close to a clearing and I was going to shoot but he stopped and turned right towards me. I think he smelled the tarsel gland and code red scent. He came within 20 yards and stopped again behind some trees. Either way he walked would offer me a decent shot. I decided to draw and wait him out, the shot had to be quick. He turned I released, everything seemed perfect and I heard a whack and he bounded off.

He ducked the arrow, it was amazing, the whack was my arrow hitting a tree behind him. I still don't know how he dropped so fast. I'm still playing it out in my head. He was real nice but I rather a clean miss. I'll have to wait for next time. My neighbor says the bucks fight like hell up by me. He says through the years they have always shot broken rack deer big and small. I was a nice weekend between hunts we insulated the new addition, it looks great. I can't wait to get back!

Headed back up this weekend. It will be a quick trip all day hunts Sat/Sun and back home. The weather looks to be perfect for Sat and Sun may get a bit warm but the morning temps s/b about 30. Work has been hell putting in 10-12 hr days on top of the commute. You know what I'm looking forward to? Falling back Saturday night, the time change, gaining an hour of sleep! Good luck guys the weekend should be good!

What can I say about this weekend???? Lack of deer for one. The wind just didn't seem right for my property. I saw 2 doe all weekend, Zach saw one and Jeff saw 2 doe and 2 bucks. He actually shot at one of the bucks yesterday afternoon 2:30 it was checking scrapes. He missed, wrong pin at 40 yards. That's it for bow season. Work really cut into the schedule. We will be back up Friday before the opener and staying till Monday night. As we were gatting ready to leave my neighbor called. He shot a small basket 8 in the liver was going to give it the night. As we were talking the coyotes were howling like crazy, hope they don't find his deer.

Sorry to hear your bow season is over Burt. I will most likely have an afternoon hunt Saturday this week and then a SUnday morning hunt and mine will be over too. If it's not a deer born this year and it walks within range, I may just have to release an arrow this weekend.

I was going to ask if Zach had made it up there with you this year. Good to see he did. Great thing you did there by mentoring him and continuing the tradition.

Thanks Zem. His family now ownes some property in Vermont. We put up some stands in Sept for him. He told me he always wants to come back the first weekend in Nov to hunt my place, we really have a good time. His dad is not a hunter but enjoys the outdoors and is now a big fan of venison! Good luck this weekend.